battery terminals vibrate loose

g00se

Question

I seem to have a recurring problem with the side post battery in my 3/4 ton suburban where it vibrates loose. It doesn't get loose enough to fall out, but eventually it will cause the truck to not start due to poor contact and not enough current to the starter. If I try to tighten it too much, it will strip as the threads on the battery are lead :cheers:

Are any of you aware of a product that might help fix this problem? I was thinking of some adapter that would convert the existing side mount cables to a top post mount that I can really snug down tight. I can't seem to find it anywhere though and not sure if it exists at all. What have you done to keep this from becoming a problem?

0 answers to this question

I been having the same problem myself in my 98'. The only thing I can think of is using the "blue" locktite on the threads. I dont know if this would affect the conductivity of the post though, or if it would hold altogether.

Well, $517 later I discovered it was a short to ground caused by some melted wires under the passenger seat (under the carpet) of all places!!

Took 'em 4 1/2 hours to fix it but I'm happy to say my battery isn't dying every night now. Not so happy that I had to spend half a grand to fix it, but I would have never thought to look there... oh well what can you do eh??

Archived