Oil Level in 5.3L

When I change my oil in my 2002 5.3L, 6 qts simply overfills it by about 1/3 of a qt. according to the dip stick. I do not know if the stick is wrong and I should just go with the capacity listed in the owner's manual or should I be filling according to the stick. I have always been told it is better to be a little low than to run with too much oil. If it is deep enough to allow the crank to hit the oil, it will cause air in the oil which is not a good thing at all.

I searched the subject and did not find much so I thought I would start the poll.

If you use something other than 6 qts, please tell us how much more or less you use.

If you look in your owners manual it says 6 qts and there is a proper way to check the oil and that is to let a hot engine sit a few minutes ( i always wait 1/2 hour) and then check. It should be in the hatched area but a slight bit over will not hurt. More oil is better than not enough.

I would agree with the more is better idea as long as it is not allowing the crank to dip into the oil with every revolution. I just do not know if and 1/8" to 1/4" too much is deep enough in this engine to allow the crank to hit it. In some engines it would be too much.

My '06 Silverado Z71 takes exactly 6 quarts to bring up to the "full" line. Are you using the factory drain plug or are you using a quick drain plug like the Fram Sure-Drain? When you drain the oil are you doing it on level ground? Either of these two things could affect how much oil drains from your crankcase.

I drain mine while warm, on absolutely level ground and use the long CARQUEST Filter, which is a Wix filter. I do not use the Fram Sure Drain. My Dad's '00 is the just like mine. If he uses a full 6 qts, the dip stick indicates that it is over full by 1/8" to 1/4". He uses nothing but AC filters.

My guess at this point is an inaccuracy in the dip stick. I bet GM used some different suppliers and they varied in length. Just my guess, but I cannot imagine the oil pan or anything else dealing with the engine that could change the oil capacity.

6 quarts here.

At work we do around 30 oil changes a day,Alot of them are 4.8/5.3/6.0 trucks and they always take 6 quarts.(I've never seen any take 5)

I put exactly 6 quarts in but i use a bigger oil filter than the tiny ass one that is listed

Which brand and what model number do you use?

Be very careful here. If you are using a filter other than the PF59 AC or 51522 (85522CQ) or equivlanet, you could be looking for trouble. I researched this attempting to find something that was longer or bigger and even contacted the chief R&D Engineer with Wix and there simply is not one that matches up to the filter we use. Wix cautioned me in doing this becuase of the internal differences such as anti drain back valves and even the burst pres of the can.

There are some engines and applications where you can find a larger filter that will meet the same specs, but currently there is nothing out there for 5.3L that I could find.

6 quarts here.

At work we do around 30 oil changes a day,Alot of them are 4.8/5.3/6.0 trucks and they always take 6 quarts.(I've never seen any take 5)

Rich, I am very curious about this. Since you see this many oil changes, have you ever seen one registering over full after adding 6 qts? Or has there ever been any kind of TSB or internal memo from GM discussing this?

I guess it is really no big deal. Currenly I just don't use the full 6 qts and fill mine up until the stick reads full. This takes just about 5.75 qts.

Just another thought, can you perhaps compare your dipstick to a buddies who has the same vehicle or engine? I owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I purchased new and from the first oil change the oil always registered overfull on the dipstick. I even drained some oil thinking I had overfilled it. On the second oil change I noticed the same thing. I went back to the dealer and we compared my dipstick to another brand new Grand Cherokee. Turns out the "low" and "full" marks on my dipstick were stamped lower than they should have been.

Archived