IDLER & PITMAN ARMS LIFE SPAN?

I have a 1996 Sierra 2500. At 120K miles I replaced the original pitman and idler arms. Now at 154K, the stealer is telling me they need to be replaced again. The mechanic says he replaces his every 20K.

I took it in because the grease boot at the idler arm/relay arm was torn. They first tried to say you could not replace the grease boot, but when I questioned that, they determined that you could just replace the boot. There is no slop in the steering, so I question the need for new arms.

So my question is, what should be the life expectancy of idler and pitman arms on a 2 WD truck that never drives off road?

I have a 1996 Sierra 2500.  At 120K miles I replaced the original pitman and idler arms.  Now at 154K, the stealer is telling me they need to be replaced again.  The mechanic says he replaces his every 20K.

I took it in because the grease boot at the idler arm/relay arm was torn.  They first tried to say you could not replace the grease boot, but when I questioned that, they determined that you could just replace the boot.  There is no slop in the steering, so I question the need for new arms.

So my question is, what should be the life expectancy of idler and pitman arms on a 2 WD truck that never drives off road?

I have 112K on my OE stuff. I think the dealer is blowing smoke up your butt cause he needs a sale.

I have reciepts from when the OEMs were replaced at about 130k on my '95 2500, and I just replaced them again at 200k...As long as they're cared for (greased at every grease job) they should last a long time. My dad has a '94 3500 with 265k that has NEVER had the pitman/idler arms replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. I have discovered the problem is these idiots at the dealer do not know how to lube an older vehicle. Even when I made a big stink and the service manager assured me everything was done, when I crawled under it, only 2 zerk fittings had been touched.

If ya want things done right, ya gotta do them yourself. So I'm done with this stupid dealer and will have do go back to doing my own routine maintenance.

Now to battle for new arms because it is their fault they are ruined because nobody knows how to stick a grease gun on a stupid fitting! :P

Yea..I replaced mine at 200k! I have a 94, and when they replaced it, the part wasn't even bad. It was just starting to go. A good way to check is to jack the front up and see if there is any play in the tires. Move them left and right. You shouldn't be able to wiggle it at all. Thats the best way I've found to check pitman arm.

I never had a problem on my OBS trucks until I put oversized tires on them, and then they'd go through idler arm/pittman arms like nobody's business.

I figured out that by installing heavy duty Moog parts, I'd never have to do it again. They make tough stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the input. I have discovered the problem is these idiots at the dealer do not know how to lube an older vehicle. Even when I made a big stink and the service manager assured me everything was done, when I crawled under it, only 2 zerk fittings had been touched.

If ya want things done right, ya gotta do them yourself. So I'm done with this stupid dealer and will have do go back to doing my own routine maintenance.

Now to battle for new arms because it is their fault they are ruined because nobody knows how to stick a grease gun on a stupid fitting! :confused:

The best type of grease gun to use is a pistol grip type with a flexible grease hose. After you try one you'll never go to a lever type grease gun again. A pistol grip gun will enble you to hold and pump the gun with one hand, so you can use the other hand to slip the hose fitting securely onto a grease zerk and hold it there so it does not slip off. I grease a military truck with about 30 grease fittings on it periodically and the pistol grip gun with flexible rubber hose is a lifesaver, as some grease fittings are really dificult to get to.

I just replaced the Idler arm on my 99 Yukon and plan to the the pitman one of these days too. (I have the part just need to put it in)

Immediately my stearing stiffened up and the truck handled better... I can't wait unitl I get the pitman arm on and I get it alligned. Also, I have about 95k on it but I'm not sure if they have ever been done before.

• 6 months later...

I have a 2003 with the torsion bars done up (within warranty specs) and I go through pitman arm after pitman arm and cant figure it out. I'm thinking it's the shaft on the stearing box myself, but dont want to buy a new one untill i'm sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived