What muffler is the best?

I am looking for the best muffler for my 1990 GMC Sierra truck. But i want to know what is good and what is bad so leave the name and price of the muffler if you know it and a description about how it sounds. Thanks for your help!

I've got quite a few friends who have flowmaster mufflers. 40 series and 70 series sounds great. Real throaty sound to them too. Rumbles at idle and sounds great all the way to redline. Not so loud they're annoying on a long drive though. Ive got some glasspacks on mine that were already on when i bought the truck, they were some weird brand but everyone i know who has had or still has glasspacks complains that once they start to get old you get an annoying rattling sound when the trucks idling or settles into overdrive. Sure enough, mine does that. Im probably gonna put on a 40 series flowmaster, or straight from the cat back (that way they check engine light aint on)

I have a single in dual out 70 series big block II muffler. It has a real mellow rumble under normal driving conditions, when cruising it is just audible (the radio will drown it out easily). I bought a whole system for 300 dollars so I am not sure what it would cost to buy the muffler alone.

• 3 weeks later...
I am looking for the best muffler for my 1990 GMC Sierra truck. But i want to know what is good and what is bad so leave the name and price of the muffler if you know it and a description about how it sounds. Thanks for your help!

I just had mine replaced from the cat back in single and out dual....with flow master 40's. They sound great and the total cost installed was about $400 with stainless tips.

flowmaster super 40s sound exxcellent for those years of GMC and Chevys. I had mine installed with new pipes for around 230 bucks

Past experiences have taught me that Flowmaster may cost a little more but well worth every penny in the long run. When you see how well they hold up you auctually save money in the long run!

I cant stress this enough..go with a FLO-PRO muffler you will be very happy with one.

Flo-Pro Site

http://www.flopro.com/homepage.htm

Sound clips

http://www.flopro.com/mufflersounds.htm

I run the 2505 and the rest is in my sig...sounds killer good. Iv'e tryed alot of exhausts on my 02 and my 80 silverado and flo-pro"s last and sound the best IMO . Also there way cheeper than the others that are just a "big" name brand but suck.

Have a gooder :cheers::crackup:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like the sound of Magnaflow mufflers.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the flow pro muffler. You know one thing to be positive on, is check out the rest of the exhaust system, including the Y pipe. I had exhaust changed out on an 89 with flow pro muffler and tail pipes. I was suprised on how good it really sounded till I went in for an oil change once, and they told me I had a dime sized hole in the pipe. I had it changed out and noticed the exhaust was a little quiter than when I bought, Most muffler places just do the muffler/tail pipes and leave the rest in tact. Well just think how old those pipes are before? Just making an observation. But all in all, the Pro Flow mufflers are pretty good and they are cheaper than the flowmasters. I paid 200 for the cat back right out the door for mine and was very pleased.

Archived