Water Leak

I had my truck in for some warranty work this week.  Last week I noticed water coming in through the overhead console.  I figured that if I hadn't gotton the dreaded "clearance light water leak" in the first year, maybe I'd be one of the lucky ones!!!  As it was I am unlucky.  The truck spent a day in the bodyshop to fix the problem.

As for the drive shaft, I'm having my 2-piece drive shaft replaced with a 1-piece design like what is on the 2002 trucks.  This will eliminate the slight vibration I feel in the seat of my pants when accelerating from a stop.  It should make a big difference when I'm towing...

Once again I want to thank the guys at Ben Bissett Chevy in Mercer, PA.  That is a great dealership with a top notch service dept!!!    :D

Oh great, here I am stuck with a truck that has those roof marker lights -- something I definitely didn't want when I bought the truck, but it seems like just about all lot trucks have them -- and now I have to worry about leaks for the entire time I own it. I figured that if they hadn't leaked from some of the monsoon-sized storms we've had recently, I was safe. Grrr...  :angry:

Do you know what they did to fix it? Perhaps I can do it now and maybe save myself some future hassles.

Shaners, father inlaw had his 2-piece replaced on his '00 2500

ext. cab, long box (tows a large 5th wheel) . He had launch shudder really, really bad w/ the 5th wheel, and the one piece cured it completely, if that's any piece of mind for you.  :D

BTW, camped @ Minister's Creek camp ground (somewhat near you I think).  Small, but was a great place to camp!

I have seen this discussion before and I am confused.  What do you all mean when you say two piece driveshaft. I have only one drive shaft under my 2000 2500 (and its a big one).  Did they make some of the Silverados with two and others with one or am I missing something?

I think I just figured it out. They must have given a two piece driveshaft with the long box and a one piece with the short box.  So everyone having this driveshaft problem has the long box. And to think after I bought my truck I was upset that I didn't get the long box.

I’m not sure how GM decided which trucks got the huge one-piece drive shave and which ones got the two piece.  I have a 02 CC short box and I have the two-piece.  From what I have heard is all dulies have the large one-piece drive shaft.  It must be similar to which trucks get a cat and which one don’t; a random thing. :D

My buddy has an '02 Crewcab short bed exactly like my '01.  He has the one piece drive shaft.  The elimination of the extra universal and the carrier bearing will help eliminate the torqueing effect of the drive shaft in the rubber mounted carrier bearing.

Jim,  I don't know what they did to fix it...  I guess it was a pretty good sized job from what the guys in the body shop told the service manager.

GreenRado...  I'm not sure I have ever heard of that campground.  I live about 5 minutes from I-79 just South of I-80.

Big Bert, yep, my understanding is that all the early long box extended cabs and crew cabs got the 2-piece.  Although I haven't confirmed this, at some point, I assume they stopped using the 2-piece for these apps?  Or redesigned it?

Shaners,

Small national forest campground ~ 15 mi due south of Warren, and ~ 20 due east ot Titusville, off of all places, route 666 - no kidding!  Not as close to you as I thought!  :D

Archived