Front Axel Leak

I have a small leak on the passenger side of my front axel around the flange between the housing and cv shaft. I can't tell if it is comming from the flange or from a seal towards the housing. Has anybody else had this problem? I would like to fix it myself, but first would like to know what I am getting myself into. Any tips on what to do, or not to do?

It is a 2004 1500, 4x4 w/ a 5.3

I have a small leak on the passenger side of my front axel around the flange between the housing and cv shaft. I can't tell if it is comming from the flange or from a seal towards the housing. Has anybody else had this problem? I would like to fix it myself, but first would like to know what I am getting myself into. Any tips on what to do, or not to do?

I'd say it is likely the axle seal. Some pull the diff completely out to replace seals on the bench as opposed to doing it on vehicle. I believe it is 4 bolts to pull the diff after removing the half shafts and driveshaft and electrical. Definitely a DIY if you are at least a shade tree mechanic.

Some time ago there was one or two good threads about this. Also, I presume you don't have "The Manual" (meaning that beastly, multi-volume document you can order for around $130)(Everyone that has it says it is definitely worth it if you regularly work on your truck). So, you might want to check out Chilton #28625 -- GM Full-Size Trucks, 1999-05 Repair Manual. In some areas, it is not very detailed at all, but you can still get some good info on most things. But, hey, it's only about $20-$25. In this case, Sections 8-24&25 give you enough info to decide whether you want to tackle it yourself or not. If you have some experience wrenching, it should not be a big deal.

Agree with the other reply that it is most likely the axleshaft seal. This is a common enough problem, particularly on the right side. Our Suburban leaks there a little bit, but we have been keeping an eye on the oil level, which has hardly been affected, so we haven't dealt with the seal yet.

So, first put you truck on level ground and check the fluid level. Also, does it leak enough to leave a puddle? Or did it just start leaking after a fluid change?

I changed the diff. fluid this winter and noticed the leak when I was greasing the front end about a week ago. There is no noticable loss of fluid. It appears to just be seaping at the moment. It doesn't even leave a spot on the garage floor.

Does anybody know if the axel has changed from the 1988-1998 model? I have a service manual for my old truck. It looks to me like I can remove the skid plate and a couple of bolts and it should rotate down to where I can easily work on it.

Archived