Problems With Odometer/trip/hr Meter

pizzaboy

Question

Hi .. I have a 2003 GMC sierra ext-cab 4x4 with 16k on her. I'm having a problem with the Odometer/Trip/Hr. When I start my truck it always changes from english to french or to spanish. Then I change it to english and then I will drive it to the store or something it will change back to french or spanish. I dont really use my truck to much in the summer because I ride my streetbike to work. I use the truck once in a while . She has a new battery in her (the factory battery terminal broke off spilling acid on my battery tray) Does anyone have an idea what might be causing my problem??

Thanks

Subject: Information on How to Change IPC/DIC Language - keywords cluster display English French IPC Spanish trip #PIT3404A - (07/25/2006)

Models: 2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2003-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI has been revised to add additional model years. Please discard PIT3404.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Starting in model year 2003, the IPC/DIC is able to read out in 3 difference languages: English, Spanish, and French. Some questions have been received concerning how to change the DIC Language, mainly on vehicles without steering wheel controls.

Recommendation/Instructions:

To change between the languages on vehicles with steering wheel controls, follow Document ID # 867116 in SI.

Vehicles without steering wheel controls follow the procedure below:

Turn ignition on.

Use the trip rest stem to display the Odometer on the DIC.

With the Odometer displayed press and hold down the trip reset stem, after 3-5 seconds the DIC will begin to scroll thru the 3 difference languages.

Continue to hold down the trip reset stem until the desired language is displayed then release the trip reset stem.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

I have a 03 gmc z71 that my 16yr. son drives with the same problem. It has a mind of it's own. I was driving it this week and all of a sudden it started flashing language options. We have reset the language to english with the trip button per instructions above, but it started flashing three languages option shortly afterwards. After 10-15 minutes, I looked at it and it was in French (I think). I have disconnected battery hoping it would reset but on vale. Today when I attempted to reset it again, the odometer/mileage reading did not display. It only flashed language options and I understand it can only be reset while displaying the mileage.

What's involved in a re-program? Any help would appreciated.

Ed

I have a 2003 Yukon and yesterday I reached 59,000 miles. Since then, the display started to change settings, from odometer, to tip, etc., and today, it started to change languages, similar to what has been described in previous posts on this thread. I have set the language to English a few times already only to find that after a few minutes the display is changing settings again. The trip resets constantly from the time that the engine is started to the time it is turned off.

A reprogram of the computer has been suggested but there are no responses on whether this solves the problem or not. Any ideas? Does this have to be done at the dealer or can a do-it-yourselfer do it?

To provide up update for future reference, I took my Yukon to the dealer and asked that they check on reprogramming of the computer. Well, to make it short, I was advised that the cluster panel needs to be replaced, reprogramming, in my case, will not solve the issue.

I had the random language scrolling on my 2004 Silverado Z71. I sent it off to automotive circuit solutions for $100 they did a full rebuild and installed blue leds. Issue is gone and service came with a lifetime warranty. Check them out automotivecircuitsolutions.com I highly recommend them.

I have had (2)  online online instrument clusters of the years to repair the odometer scrolling problem on my 2004 Tahoe.

As everyone in this forum  knows it can be fixed but the problem comes back. Now I have it for the 3rd time. I am the original owner of this vehicle and never got a recall notice.

Can anyone answer what exactly is the part  that fails when this happens, where to buy it and how to repair  it?

I really can't afford to keep fixing this and there is only 91000 miles on it

I had the same language scrolling issue on my ‘04 Yukon. After searching the interweb I came across someone who recommended changing out the button on the circuit board that is used to select trip miles, miles, language and such. Basically the switch has malfunctioned. I used Radio Shack part # 275-0002 from eBay. Super cheap. Carefully replace this switch. It fixed my issue that I’ve had for a couple of years. I already replaced all of the stepper motors to fix that issue. 

I own the 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic WT and I've had the problem since I bought it, but not anymore...

Step 1: disconnect the battery terminals.

Step 2: unplug the cluster connector.

Step 3: plug the cluster connector back in.

Step 4: reconnect the battery terminals.

This will fix the language scrolling issue.

Edited by Screw GM
because i wanted to

My 2003 Silverado has about 175k miles but didn’t start this until I had the transmission rebuilt. I’m gonna try what Screw GM said above and maybe check with my transmission guy. I know this is an older post but someone else might stumble onto it so I’ll update when I finish.