Engine Light

dmr121

I got a check engine light last week, called On-star, and they said to check my gas-cap. The gas-cap seemed ok.

On-star said the light would go out in 5 to 7 days. It has been 5 days now but only 30 miles driven.

My question is: How do I reset the engine light on my 07 nbs 5.3L?

(Other than disconnecting the battery for 15 min.)

Thanks

I believe you can get a device to do that - I was just at a shop inquiring about reprogramming my speedometer and odometer for my oversized tires, and they wanted me to buy a $450 Superchips #2815 device that plugs into the OBD II and can increase HP, torque, (supposedly) and can reprogram all kinds of computer-driven things like shift points, and, importantly for you - warning lights like the check engine light. It can read error codes so you know what's setting it off, then reset it for you.

Does anyone have an opinion of these things? What we did was, the guy programmed my truck with it, then said if you're not happy with it, come back and we'll deprogram it and you don't pay us a dime. If I like it, I can buy the thing. I can't say I was blown away, but the truck does perform a little better. It's a 2001 GMC Yukon XL with the 5.3. Any thoughts? It seems like a lot of money to me.

I think it could be other things with the fuel system that gives the same code. Give it more miles to re set if not back to the dealer to reset and see if it happens again.

+1, I would get someone to grab the DTC and see what the code actually is. If it is an EVAP failure it can be other parts of the system, not just the gas cap.

just run by AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts....they'll reset the light for you and tell you what the code is. If it's the gas gap, you'll have to remove it and click it several times then have them reset it.

Did the trick for me a few months ago and hasn't come back on.

They can check the code for you, but I dun think they can reset the light. At least on my OBD1 (1994) they weren't able to.

Strangely enough, I hadda check engine line for Idle Air Control Valve and the light comes on everyonce in a while now even after several hundred miles of driving and replacing the part.

just run by AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts....they'll reset the light for you and tell you what the code is. If it's the gas gap, you'll have to remove it and click it several times then have them reset it.

Did the trick for me a few months ago and hasn't come back on.

They can check the code for you, but I dun think they can reset the light. At least on my OBD1 (1994) they weren't able to.

Strangely enough, I hadda check engine line for Idle Air Control Valve and the light comes on everyonce in a while now even after several hundred miles of driving and replacing the part.

Actually, they can clear the code for you. Auto Zone did it for me and has done it several times. Just gotta find a young guy to do it. I don't think they're supposed to because in most cases, the problem isn't really fixed. I've never had a problem with them resetting the light and they've always done it for free since it takes 5 mins.

Drove the truck 5-7 days & only 30 miles:-0 who are you saving it for? It will take at least 25 start ups to clear it.

LOL

I live in a small town and only a few miles from work.

Wife's '01 Regal only has 39K

Ranger 4x4 I traded was '96 with 65K

My '03 Kaw Vulcan has only 500 miles

We don't put many miles on our stuff.

Archived