Tranny Temp. On A 02 2500 Hd

trailrider325

Question

well dealer calls and tells me there is nothing wrong with my tranny but its still not shifting right and the tranny temp is at 210 degrees now the dealer says 210 degrees is normal operating tranny temp. but before problems started i ran around 140 degrees or so and when trailering it went up to about 190 degrees for 6 years i have owned truck. so is 210 for tranny temp to high??? when not trailering

0 answers to this question

Dave, I hate to hear of your issues and am sure you will be happy with the Tundra. However, I will have to say that if you or others are under the misconception that Toyota, Honda and other Japanese supplied vehicles have fewer issues than GM, you are mistaken, They do build great vehicles and at one time I do believe they were better than most US produced products. I am in the automotive industry via the Parts arena and today, I cannot say that a Japanese vehicle is any better than most American products. They are typically more expensive to repair but it would appear they do a better job with customer relations from the Dealer stand point and it would seem this is where your issue really falls. If your Dealer would have treated you like a Customer and taken care of your problem, you would likely still be driving the truck.

I am a GM fan but fully understand how someone could get so frustrated with a dealer's lack of service that they would buy another brand. However, I just cannot agree that American Vehicles are inferior to their Japanese competitors.

"Pray each day that the products and/or services that you provide do not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and services offered by foreign companies."

Document ID# 581859

2002 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electronic Component Description

Automatic Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Assembly

The automatic transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor assembly is a thermistor which is mounted in the wiring harness assembly. Low transmission temperature produces high resistance, while high temperature produces low resistance. The PCM supplies a 5-volt signal to the TFT sensor assembly through an internal resistor. Then the PCM measures the voltage drop in the circuit. Voltage is high when the transmission is cold and low when the transmission is hot.

The PCM uses the TFT sensor assembly in order to regulate torque converter clutch apply, as well as shift quality.

DTCs P0711, P0712 and P0713 indicate a fault in the TFT Sensor Assembly circuit. After the vehicle has been started, transmission temperature should rise steadily and stabilize between 90-115°C (194-239°F), depending on load. All three DTCs causes the PCM to use a default value of 140°C (284°F), thus reacting as if the transmission were hot in either case. When DTCs P0711, P0712 or P0713 are set, the PCM freezes the shift adapts from being updated, and the MIL illuminates. Some driveability symptoms will be noticed, especially when cold.

well dealer calls and tells me there is nothing wrong with my tranny but its still not shifting right and the tranny temp is at 210 degrees now the dealer says 210 degrees is normal operating tranny temp. but before problems started i ran around 140 degrees or so and when trailering it went up to about 190 degrees for 6 years i have owned truck. so is 210 for tranny temp to high??? when not trailering

I have a 2002 2500HD CC with the 6.0 and 4L80E and my temps are around 140-160 depending on what i'm doing and around 180-190max when towing, even if i'm towing hard. I would go to a good transmission shop and have them check it out. I know of three in my area that cehck them out for free.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/faq-boar...n-relative.html

There is a link about 700R4 which in'st the same as a 4L80E but as you can see, high temps kill a transmission quick.

dont know if a toyota will be any better as i have owned nothing but gm for so long and my father only owned gm. everyone of my friends are very happy with toyota and when i am out at stores and see toyota's in the parking lots i ask them and they have nothing bad to say either. i have asked plenty of gm truck owners how they like the truck and its about 50/50. 50 percent have had no problems and 50 percent have nothing but problems just like me.

for me its bin nothing but a battle to get things fixed with gm them selfs and gm dealer's. i have way to many things break in 55 000 miles and my x warranty is up in 2 months and if i am gonna put out a lot of money i will do it on a new truck.

fine 409 thats what i ran at for temps. the dealer said everything is fine with truck but when i drove it home it was slipping still and i had it in there for piston slap or a loud knock for 40 second at start up so loud you can hear it threw the wall when i am in the house and they said they herd nothing. i get the ever famous CANT DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM that term must come right down from gm them selfs.

but i fixed my truck for good traded it in on a 07 toyota tundra today after 20 years of buying nothing but chevys i am fed up with gm and they lost another long time customer that will never come back. between me and the wife we bought 9 cars in them 20 years. when the wife gets rid of her 02 monte carlo ss she will be getting a toyota camry.

I love my chevy's but i agree with you somewhat. If there was a heavy duty Tundra i'd more than likely look that way myself. When it comes right down to it, if your paying all this money for these trucks, they need to work and if they don't the dealers should be out there to support you. Good luck with the tundra, i know two people that have them and love them.

have several friend's that dumped gm for the tundra and several more for toyota/honda cars that only bought gm products and they will never buy a gm car or truck again.

it a shame that gm has fell down to this level for many years they had bullet proof cars and trucks that would run for ever. wish i could say the same now

Archived