Edge Evo Programming Decifered

spartus

Not sure if you guys know this or not, but for those of you who have the Edge Evo, and a Crew cab with Stabilitrack and Traction Control, the traction control gets SHUT OFF! I Noticed a few weeks ago, I was able to do a nasty burn out with my truck. Anyhow, Last night while going though the programming changes that Edge makes ( I have HP TUNER also), I noticed that they have completely shut off all traction control on the trucks.

I suppose that makes my Stabilitrack all but useless.

I suppose I'll turn traction control back on for the winter months, then back off for the summer. :uhoh:

I havent noticed that on mine ..

It's a fact. Have someone with HPTuners read your truck and look at the programming. Edge has turned OFF all traction control when related to spark and fuel.. They even turned off WHEEL HOP detection. So if your rear end starts to hop when doing a burnout it will keep doing so. OEM programming will control this.

I do however like their spark tables, along with line pressures and shift tables. They have done a lot of changes to improve driveability of the trucks.

I will probably end up combining both the Extreme tune and the Economy tune, and utilizing the best of both. The new trucks have dual timing tables, so it can be programmed for 87 octane tuning and 91-93 octane tuning all in the same tune, and the truck will automatically adjust. It looks like the current extreme tune is setup for 89 and 91 octane.

More on this later.

I havent noticed that on mine ..

It's a fact. Have someone with HPTuners read your truck and look at the programming. Edge has turned OFF all traction control when related to spark and fuel.. They even turned off WHEEL HOP detection. So if your rear end starts to hop when doing a burnout it will keep doing so. OEM programming will control this.

I do however like their spark tables, along with line pressures and shift tables. They have done a lot of changes to improve driveability of the trucks.

I will probably end up combining both the Extreme tune and the Economy tune, and utilizing the best of both. The new trucks have dual timing tables, so it can be programmed for 87 octane tuning and 91-93 octane tuning all in the same tune, and the truck will automatically adjust. It looks like the current extreme tune is setup for 89 and 91 octane.

More on this later.

Are you saying that because I have the Edge Evolution, I no longer have Stabilitrak or Traction control? Can you explain to me why when I was doing a 0-60 run without turning off TC, my truck did indeed do a small burnout, and when it did, the Traction Control light/symbol flashed on my dash?

I find it difficult to believe Edge would do this as I would think it would raise serious liability issues since they do not publish this and/or warn about it in their manual. They have several other warnings, but nothing in regard to this. Also, WHY would they do this? I do notice that while the Edge is programming the ECM, the "Traction Control Off" and "Stabilitak Off" displays temporarily on the DIC, but I assume this is only temporary while the tune is downloading into the ECM.

Also, according the Edge, the Extreme tune is a 91+ octane tune only.

I emailed edge about the display of the Traction Control Off and Stabilitak Off. They told me that is just in the tuning process and it is reactivated when the programming is done. So I don't see how that it is disabled.

Also what version program do you have? Date of program?

I have to agree that it's highly unlikely Edge turned off StabiliTrack and Traction Control. These are the same folks who stated they would not remove Torque Management due to warranty liability concerns, StabiliTack and Traction Control would raise serious Safety liability concerns, which the ambulance chasing attorney's would be all over way before they'd look at warranty liability concerns! So, I can't see them being overly cautious about TM and then tossing out safety features like StabiliTrack and Traction Control! Just my .02...

BTW, when I 1st saw this topic I thought someone had hacked the Key to unlock the Advanced Features! Now that would be note worthy!

I'm not sure what to say guys.... I loaded the Edge tunes into my laptop after programming the truck with them, and all three Edge tunes have Traction control turned OFF...... I do stand corrected though. They only turn off traction control when in relation to Timing retard. They still allow fuel cut-off to control traction, along with braking. I'm not sure how this relates to Stabilitrack though. Also, in the Torque management tables, Edge has ZEROED out all the tables.. OEM has them set at 40% for the 1-2 shift, 30% for the 2-3 shift. Edge has them both at 0%. So yes, they also adjust torque management. Maybe there is some HIDDEN torque management in there too, I dunno.

When calling up and talking to the Edge techs, I'm to the point where I wouldn't believe a thing they have to say. Talk to one guy he tells you one thing. Talk to another guy and he will tell you the complete opposite.

without sounding like a complete dolt - what is your HP tuner - i dont think any of 'us' - the rest of the guys commenting have one - that is one variable you have that we dont

Its this: www.hptuners.com and costs $500...

After spending $400 on my SuperChips, and $380 on my Edge, and still not happy with the programming I decided to do it myself... I've been tuning vehicles for about 5 years now ( LT1 equiped B-bodies / Impala SS's, and Caprices ) so have a fairly decent knowledge on programming. HPtuners just recently became available for the PCM in my truck, so I figured I'd buy.

So are you able to do anything to the tunes that come with the EVO?

Yup... Oh, and this is the program that Edge uses to make the tunes for the EVO... heh.. With HPTUNERS you can program any GM vehicle from 1996 on up to 2008.

As noted up above, Edge does do quite a bit to the tunes. What you are paying for is their knowledge on tuning vehicles. Too bad they are skeered from adjusting the V4 mode though, as there are a lot of things that can be adjusted there. I suppose I'll have to do that myself now that I have HPTUNERS.

without sounding like a complete dolt - what is your HP tuner - i dont think any of 'us' - the rest of the guys commenting have one - that is one variable you have that we dont

HP tuners is the actual software (along with LS1edit and EFI live) that the hot rod shops use to tune these engines. It makes the Edge look like amateur stuff as HP tuners gives you full access to EVERY variable tucked away in the ECM and TCM's. If a guy has the patience, the money spent on a handheld tuner could go ALOT further on HPtuners...the problem is the huge learning curve as all modifications; timing, fuel, etc, etc, have to be done manually.

Archived