Bluetooth Options For 2008 Silverado

Well I read the entire thread. I had a desire to get bluetooth in my '07. What really suprised me most of all in this thread was how many people actually wanted to retain Onstar in their truck. When I bought mine I had the vehicle about 10 days they had called me in the truck a number of times saying I had a wreck and they were alerting the authorities. Well apparently offroading or dropping a trailer onto the hitch counted as a wreck. I went to the dealer and he said he couldn't remove Onstar but we pulled a fuse that disabled the buttons on the rear view mirror from working and I never heard from them again.

After reading the thread I think I'll just stick to getting a blue tooth ear deal.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I read the entire thread. I had a desire to get bluetooth in my '07. What really suprised me most of all in this thread was how many people actually wanted to retain Onstar in their truck. When I bought mine I had the vehicle about 10 days they had called me in the truck a number of times saying I had a wreck and they were alerting the authorities. Well apparently offroading or dropping a trailer onto the hitch counted as a wreck. I went to the dealer and he said he couldn't remove Onstar but we pulled a fuse that disabled the buttons on the rear view mirror from working and I never heard from them again.

After reading the thread I think I'll just stick to getting a blue tooth ear deal.

You realize if you cancel onstar they don't call you right?

Greetings everyone. I come to you all asking for help that i haven't been able to find over at the CadillacForums.com.

I have a 2008 Escalade ESV with factory Navigation and Bose Radio and have added a GMX550 and BlueStar 2010. Upon installing the BlueStar i was disappointed to realize that i had lost the factory voice commands for the navigation and radio. With so many VCIM options out there i haven't been able to get an answer and dont have the cash to experiment. Hopefully someone here will have experience and can offer guidance.

MY question is this. Is there a 2010 + VCIM that will allow for the following with my vehicle:

1. Maintain Factory voice commands for navigation and radio

2. Integrate Bluetooth functionality

3. (optional) Retain OnStar functionality(i am aware of the vin mismatch issues) and work with the onstar app

Well I've got a 2008 Silverado LTZ with factory Navigation. I put a VCIM in #20829984

1. I believe the voice commands for the Nav work. I'll try it to confirm

2. Bluetooth works with the steering wheel controls and you can voice dial from your phone address book. Number shows up in the DIC.

3. I lost Onstar and didn't bother trying to get it to work since many people on here have tried with no luck.

Just to confirm, Navigation Voice commands do work.

• 1 month later...

I installed 20829984 VCIM in my 2008 Tahoe w/ Nav and it seems to work but I can't voice dial - I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong as all the other functions seem to work.

The phone is paired, calls ring through the stereo and I can hear and be heard ok, incoming number displays on DIC but I am as yet unable to voice dial.

I have tried saying "Bluetooth", "Dial", "Call" etc with no luck. The other thing I notice is that if I hold the phone button on the steering wheel for 3 seconds I get only a tone but no "ready" command.

I can voice command the audio, navigation, and onstar but not my phone.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks.

I seen were onstar told some one that they had an error with the antenna. has anyone tried to change the antenna to the new 2009 antenna? I have seen were there are two different part numbers for the antenna 2007-2008 has a different part number than that of the 2009-2011 and the harness coming from the antenna are different part numbers as well. maybe that is messing up the communications with the new 8 softwear.

if anyone is going to or has tried this let me know how it works

On my truck I had to say "Onstar " after the beep then the system would say "ready" then i could say "call" or other commands.

I installed 20829984 VCIM in my 2008 Tahoe w/ Nav and it seems to work but I can't voice dial - I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong as all the other functions seem to work.

The phone is paired, calls ring through the stereo and I can hear and be heard ok, incoming number displays on DIC but I am as yet unable to voice dial.

I have tried saying "Bluetooth", "Dial", "Call" etc with no luck. The other thing I notice is that if I hold the phone button on the steering wheel for 3 seconds I get only a tone but no "ready" command.

I can voice command the audio, navigation, and onstar but not my phone.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

hi guys, I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 that did not bring bluetooth from factory. After reading the blog, I've ordered a VCIM 20827036 that was given to me at the local dealer. I left my car there for installation and they called that it could not be installed because mechanic call gmc tech line and they said my car did not have it from factory, so NO POSSIBLE. Please, I would like any advice on what to do in order to have it installed and running???

I managed to have the parts but no option to install it. Please advice???

thank you very much

• 1 month later...

Hi all, first thanks for all the great info in this post. I want to make a quick note for future readers:

I just upgraded my 2009 Silverado LS with the bluetooth vcim. It had the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel but not the audio/bluetooth controls. I upgraded the vcim and was just trying to use the OnStar phone button on the mirror to pair my phone. This did not work and I had to purchase the steering wheel bluetooth/audio controls. They are required. When reading this thread I noticed a couple people asked that question and no one had definite answer. So I thought I would post back and let future readers know that the steering wheel bluetooth/audio controls are required. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

i have a 2008 silverado with factory nav system ,i put a vcim out of a 2010 silverado it is the vcim that ends with 36,i have to press the blue onstar phone button on mirror and then the button on the steeering wheel twice to get to the blue tooth then i said pair and it paired and gave me my pair code ,i pulled my haie out and read for a week until i saw a earlier post in this thread on how to do it ,every thing works great Also i still have my onstar phone and onstar working also as i have tried it .Others say they have lost onstar not sure why it works for me

Just installed a new (2011) VCIM into my 2008 . All the functions work including onstar and they gave me 3 months free when I called them. However, I do have a green light on the left and a red light on the right side of the mirror. I suspect that if the dealer programmed the module to match the truck it may go away, but why risk fouling something up... Also, the functions of the bluetooth can be found in the owners manual in the below link...

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/owners/manuals/2009/2009_chevrolet_silverado_owners.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought all this a month ago and decided iam going to trade truck on a 2012 and dealer wont give me anything for it so out it comes and factory radio going back in ,i have a Bose nav unit out a 2008 silverado a vcim and bluetooth antennea out of a 2010 silverado ,a a brand new latest GM Nav disc version 6c.I still have use of my onstar with this vcim all most every one else looses onstar use with other vcims ,can send video of onstar working .$1100 shipped with tracking #

• 1 month later...
When you push the button the steering wheel, what does it do?

Joe

mine was absolutely not like that. I press that button and the onstar voice comes on and you say "bluetooth", or you can say one of the other, many, onstar commands.

Joe

When I say "Bluetooth" It does not recognize the word. However, the right Onstar LED is now red...

I installed a Bluetooth VCIM from a 2010 Camaro part # 20842731 into my 07 Denali and I get exactly what you got.

After the button push and beep if you say "Bluetooth" the response is "voice recognition does not understand, try again" After 3x it shuts off.

If you say "Onstar" it recognizes it and allows you to pick one of the OnStar help topics like Navigation help, disc help, map help and then explains the help information.

So its working to identify certain words but not "Bluetooth"

Is the 2010 different commands?

Also I have no Onstar now, right LED is out.

HOw easy was this to install? I have an 2008 Suburban, should be the same install, right? THis is the only VCIM part number I can find right now...

Archived