Bluetooth Options For 2008 Silverado

Yes... the SYNC may be a bit more advanced but my wife just bought a Fusion and I gotta say that the GM is much more user friendly to use and setup than the Sync system is. Sync may have a few extra things (music thru BT, large phone book, etc.) but the GM is so easy to use and with larger buttons on the wheel makes use while driving a breeze....

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright. Holy crap that was a LONG read...

From what I gather BT will work with a newer VCIM, OnStar will not. I'm good with that, I already am not an OnStar subscriber. There were a number of VCIMs listed through out the many pages... the ones most recent that seemed to work for people were 25990227 and 20756237 ?

I couldn't find either part number on eBay, and could not locate the user "rev821" either... :drool:

From what I gather BT will work with a newer VCIM, OnStar will not. I'm good with that, I already am not an OnStar subscriber. There were a number of VCIMs listed through out the many pages... the ones most recent that seemed to work for people were 25990227 and 20756237 ?

I couldn't find either part number on eBay, and could not locate the user "rev821" either... :drool:

It's rev281 - try that one. Not sure if the bluetooth units he's currently selling work in GM trucks or not. 20783877 is the safest part number but it's hard to find (just sold mine on eBay last week).

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't find either part number on eBay, and could not locate the user "rev821" either... :lol:

It's rev281 - try that one. Not sure if the bluetooth units he's currently selling work in GM trucks or not. 20783877 is the safest part number but it's hard to find (just sold mine on eBay last week).

Here's some advice when ordering, several dealerships operate the gmpartsdirect online stores. I ordered Part 20783877 from one operated by Clark Chevrolet in McAllen Tx. here's the link

http://www.gmpartsonline.net/storefront/in...p;siteid=215055

Ordered 20783877 - $232.00 - VCIM for models (w/ bose, nav & bluetooth)

Ordered 15938939 - 24.71 - BT antenna

Ordered 25851951 - Switch - ebony with phone pic above talking head, and hangup phone pic on down arrow (not necessary for upgrade, but I like the full stock features)

You must supply them with a vin number from a vehicle that originally had this part, which come to find out was an 09' model year. I first gave them the Vin from my 08 Tahoe LTZ, and a guy called me from the dealer as said the part could not be ordered with that Vin, he said if I could give him a Vin from an 09' he could order the part. I went on Autotrader, found an 09' Tahoe, LTZ w/bluetooth, captured the Vin and the part is on it's way.

These guys are straight and will help you with this conversion...If he had not called gm would have substitued the Vcim for my 08'.

I dug somewhat deeper, and these guys at this dealer have done this upgrade multiple times, personal vehicles etc....It can be done according to them. I contacted my service dept locally, they said they would help me get the part configured...I'll post again with results shortly...

I also have the GMPRO unlock box installed have had it since the tahoe was new, we shall see how this works together. We cannot live with out this, watch dvd's on the nav screen while moving (great for the front seat pass..), allows you to scroll XM while moving, allows address entry while moving, look at backup camera while moving (this one is dumb unless your pulling a trailer and want to check the hitch??

Hope this helps...

I couldn't find either part number on eBay, and could not locate the user "rev821" either... :lol:

Here's some advice when ordering, several dealerships operate the gmpartsdirect online stores. I ordered Part 20783877 from one operated by Clark Chevrolet in McAllen Tx. here's the link

http://www.gmpartsonline.net/storefront/in...p;siteid=215055

Ordered 20783877 - $232.00 - VCIM for models (w/ bose, nav & bluetooth)

Ordered 15938939 - 24.71 - BT antenna

Ordered 25851951 - Switch - ebony with phone pic above talking head, and hangup phone pic on down arrow (not necessary for upgrade, but I like the full stock features)

You must supply them with a vin number from a vehicle that originally had this part, which come to find out was an 09' model year. I first gave them the Vin from my 08 Tahoe LTZ, and a guy called me from the dealer as said the part could not be ordered with that Vin, he said if I could give him a Vin from an 09' he could order the part. I went on Autotrader, found an 09' Tahoe, LTZ w/bluetooth, captured the Vin and the part is on it's way.

These guys are straight and will help you with this conversion...If he had not called gm would have substitued the Vcim for my 08'.

I dug somewhat deeper, and these guys at this dealer have done this upgrade multiple times, personal vehicles etc....It can be done according to them. I contacted my service dept locally, they said they would help me get the part configured...I'll post again with results shortly...

I also have the GMPRO unlock box installed have had it since the tahoe was new, we shall see how this works together. We cannot live with out this, watch dvd's on the nav screen while moving (great for the front seat pass..), allows you to scroll XM while moving, allows address entry while moving, look at backup camera while moving (this one is dumb unless your pulling a trailer and want to check the hitch??

Hope this helps...

Thats very good pricing, people were buying the VCIM's for a lot more then that off Ebay.

Let me know if you get the On* working as it seems that everyone here has pretty much given up trying to get On* working.

The OEM BlueTooth is outstanding to use, couldn't live without it and don't miss On* at all.

Been lurking.... Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

My update .... Just installed a 20756237 VCIM in a 2008 GMC Sierra. Took an hour cause I had to figure out how to get the panel off. I did not have to cut the tabs off as they fit around the plastic hold downs. The XM works fine. The bluetooth pared with my cell phone and of course the on-star is red (but that's OK). I intend to visit a friend shortly that has access to a tech2 to see if he can get the onstar working - I don't have high hopes as this unit was new and came from rev821 on ebay.

Thanks

Sheldon

My 6237 is comin' to me within the week.

Do your steering wheel controls work for connecting/disconnecting a call? I had read somewhere the some people were having issues with this....

My update .... Just installed a 20756237 VCIM in a 2008 GMC Sierra. Took an hour cause I had to figure out how to get the panel off. I did not have to cut the tabs off as they fit around the plastic hold downs. The XM works fine. The bluetooth pared with my cell phone and of course the on-star is red (but that's OK). I intend to visit a friend shortly that has access to a tech2 to see if he can get the onstar working - I don't have high hopes as this unit was new and came from rev821 on ebay.

Thanks

Sheldon

Do your steering wheel controls work for connecting/disconnecting a call? I had read somewhere the some people were having issues with this....

I put in the new steering wheel controls on my 07 Denali and they work fine disconnecting the call.

Thanks

Sheldon

I put in the new steering wheel controls on my 07 Denali and they work fine disconnecting the call.

Update:

I installed the VCIM last night, took a little more than an hour. Bluetooth works great, paired multiple phones and functions as described throughout this post. On* is red, and like the others no connection when I push the On* blue button, zero. Push the emer button and On* is right there. Talked to the On* rep for a few minutes trying to figureout what he see's or doesn't see with my vehicle. He says he gets no information about the vehicle no make, no model, no customer info. No suprise as this is a brand new unit without a GM Factory program. He did say he could see my location and that was it. Nice guy really...Also my red light is SOLID, not flashing??? I wonder if this unit is different than the ones from Ebay as I was able to source it directly from GM??

I'm calling my dealership today to schedule a VCIM program. I am going to insist to talk to the tech prior to the program to fill him in on the part number etc...I have recorded all of the info from the top of the VCIM for his reference as well, may save him having to re-remove and re-install...

Btw my GMUnlockPro works flawlessly as well, all features and functions are exactly as they were. Although the space is pretty tight behind the HVAC controls and accessory panel with this box stuffed in there.

The new buttons on the steering wheel also work as intended. The number you are calling appears on the DIC, as does any incomming call. Numbers only no names...

I'll post again with what I am able to figure out at the dealership.

Can anyone post any updates on the programming steps tried thus far at the dealer? I know that the Tech2 must be run, but I recall somewhere in this 2yr long post there was also an additional programming piece?

Not setting my hopes too high for full functioning On* but would be nice to have all features 100% working.

So to be clear thus far with new units no one has been able to get full function of On* correct? Only units previously installed and still have the original vehicle info on them see to work fully with On* with the exception of the correct model information...

Thanks

Sheldon

Update:

I installed the VCIM last night, took a little more than an hour. Bluetooth works great, paired multiple phones and functions as described throughout this post. On* is red, and like the others no connection when I push the On* blue button, zero. Push the emer button and On* is right there. Talked to the On* rep for a few minutes trying to figureout what he see's or doesn't see with my vehicle. He says he gets no information about the vehicle no make, no model, no customer info. No suprise as this is a brand new unit without a GM Factory program. He did say he could see my location and that was it. Nice guy really...Also my red light is SOLID, not flashing??? I wonder if this unit is different than the ones from Ebay as I was able to source it directly from GM??

I'm calling my dealership today to schedule a VCIM program. I am going to insist to talk to the tech prior to the program to fill him in on the part number etc...I have recorded all of the info from the top of the VCIM for his reference as well, may save him having to re-remove and re-install...

Btw my GMUnlockPro works flawlessly as well, all features and functions are exactly as they were. Although the space is pretty tight behind the HVAC controls and accessory panel with this box stuffed in there.

The new buttons on the steering wheel also work as intended. The number you are calling appears on the DIC, as does any incomming call. Numbers only no names...

I'll post again with what I am able to figure out at the dealership.

Can anyone post any updates on the programming steps tried thus far at the dealer? I know that the Tech2 must be run, but I recall somewhere in this 2yr long post there was also an additional programming piece?

Not setting my hopes too high for full functioning On* but would be nice to have all features 100% working.

So to be clear thus far with new units no one has been able to get full function of On* correct? Only units previously installed and still have the original vehicle info on them see to work fully with On* with the exception of the correct model information...

Checkout page 40 of this post, there's a member who got their 2007 GMT900 working with new VCIM BT, and there has been a few others too.

Just be aware that most dealer techs are unfamiliar with this VCIM programming. When I did mine we hooked up the Tech2 tool and when we went through the setup we selected 2007 MY for the truck and it didn't see the new 09 BT VCIM. Then we tried setup saying my truck was a 2008 and it found the BT VCIM.

The dealership programming is as follows;

OnStar Reconfiguration (with TIS 2 Web Gen 4 and later)

Important:

• The vehicle communication interface module (VCIM) has a specific set of unique numbers that tie the module to a specific vehicle. These numbers, the 10-digit station identification (STID) and 11-digit electronic serial number (ESN), are used by OnStar® and the cellular network to identify the specific vehicle. Because these numbers are exclusive to the vehicle identification number of the vehicle, these parts should NOT be exchanged with those of another vehicle. After replacing the VCIM, it is essential to reconfigure the OnStar® system. Failure to reconfigure the system will result in an additional customer visit for repair. DO NOT press and hold the white dot button on the keypad as it will not reset this version of the OnStar® system and may result in a DTC to be set, a red LED and limited or incomplete OnStar® services. Use of the TIS 2 Web SPS application and the Tech 2 are required in order to perform the VCIM configuration and setup procedure for this vehicle. The configuration and set-up procedure is now a two step process which enables an automated activation by the OnStar Center, without a button press by the technician to the center.

• It may take up to 24 hours for the OnStar® service to become fully activated after performing the TIS 2 Web and Tech 2 setup procedures. Perform the OnStar® Activation procedure only once. Repeat attempts at performing the procedure may result in a delay of the activation process.

1. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.

2. Connect the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal to the Tech 2.

3. Select the OnStar® Activation programming option using the service programming system (SPS).

4. Upon completion of the OnStar® Activation programming event, disconnect the TIS terminal from the Tech 2 and perform the VCIM/OnStar Set-up Procedure using the Tech 2. The set up procedure is located under the special function menu option.

5. The default language for the new VCIM is English. Changing the language capability to French or Spanish is supported by service programming system (SPS) and by Tech 2 special functions. Changing the language capability is also dependant on the generation of the replacement OnStar module.

Inform the customer that it may take up to 24 hours for the OnStar® service to become fully activated after performing the TIS 2 Web and Tech 2 setup procedures.

Thanks

Sheldon

Yes, my truck already had the steering wheel controls. I just plugged in the new VCIM and the steering wheel controls worked with the VCIM. You need the steering wheel controls to get the bluetooth working. I have not tried getting it reprogrammed to get on* working.

Thanks

Sheldon

Yes, my truck already had the steering wheel controls. I just plugged in the new VCIM and the steering wheel controls worked with the VCIM. You need the steering wheel controls to get the bluetooth working. I have not tried getting it reprogrammed to get on* working.

Just waiting on Santa in the brown UPS sleigh to drop off my pkg today :eek: will update when I get it installed... (hopefully later tonight)

Thanks

Sheldon

Just waiting on Santa in the brown UPS sleigh to drop off my pkg today :eek: will update when I get it installed... (hopefully later tonight)

If your successful at the dealer with VCIM programming please make sure you document the steps because there is probably 50+ guys here on this site alone waiting for the magic formula.

Just so you have a heads up when I had the dealer program my VCIM with the ONSA setup TIS2WEB program it said it was done successfully, so I got all excited and waited the 48 hrs before calling On* to activate.

They (On* tech support) repeatedly came back telling me when they did the On* over the air download to the VCIM to match my account to the new VCIM they kept getting "Bad model year software error"

Might be a good idea to have On* tech support on the phone while dealer is doing the programming.

I'm not too concerned with getting onstar activated at this time. Don't use it now, so can't see me using it going forward

EDIT:

30 minutes after UPS stopped by, I had bluetooth working!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived