Bluetooth Options For 2008 Silverado

This thread, page 39, 3rd post down is a video link from Coastal Tech showing removal. Usually, the VCIM is located behind the lower panel, last component at the bottom of the stack for stereo, heater, etc. Once you pull everything out, you will see the VCIM mounted in there.

Okay, thanks...I did see that video but it only specified disconnecting the harness from the stereo to install the Lockpic. It didn't specifically mention that the VCIM is also located in that stack so I wasn't sure if it's there or in the lower part of the dash.

Tipsy

Which style dash do you have?

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to have to plead ignorance here. What are my choices?

It's a 2010 LT with cloth interior, single CD radio with XM and manual heating/air-conditioning controls. No center console on the floor.

Does that give you the info you're looking for?

Tipsy

I'm going to have to plead ignorance here. What are my choices?

It's a 2010 LT with cloth interior, single CD radio with XM and manual heating/air-conditioning controls. No center console on the floor.

Does that give you the info you're looking for?

Tipsy

Yeah.... tells me you have the "pure-truck" style dash.

Which means that you will have to pull off the bottom/kick panel of the dash to get to the VCIM, not the upper bezel around the radio and HVAC controls.

Yeah.... tells me you have the "pure-truck" style dash.

Which means that you will have to pull off the bottom/kick panel of the dash to get to the VCIM, not the upper bezel around the radio and HVAC controls.

That's very good to know because I would have otherwise pulled apart the upper bezel.

Any tricks to disassembling the bottom panel? Any write-ups to reference on the forum?

Thanks again!

Tipsy

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got any updates or learned anything new?

On* re-created my account with them so now I only see my '07 Silv and I no longer see the '09 Acadia. But... I also can't "see" my info on their website: truck status, milage, oil %, etc. Now they are saying I must go to a dealer because must be having a hardware issue!

- My On* phone works (still got 100 free minutes left to use!)

- My BT works with my phones

- My LED on the mirror is still green

I see no reason to go to the dealer ...

• 3 weeks later...

Been lurking.... Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

My update .... Just installed a 20756237 VCIM in a 2008 GMC Sierra. Took an hour cause I had to figure out how to get the panel off. I did not have to cut the tabs off as they fit around the plastic hold downs. The XM works fine. The bluetooth pared with my cell phone and of course the on-star is red (but that's OK). I intend to visit a friend shortly that has access to a tech2 to see if he can get the onstar working - I don't have high hopes as this unit was new and came from rev821 on ebay.

Thanks

Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...

:cheers::fume::chevy: just installed my ebay obtained 20783877 vcim in my 07 avalanche with nav...can not get my bluetooth working, hold down voice button try saying bluetooth and not recognized. tried the mirror phone button "on* ready" tried "bluetooth "....not recognized....i looked at my old onstar module and it was labeled 06 version, is there something else thats not compatable? this must have been built in 06 but is a new body style 07 any help would be welcomed.

Just to be sure we are talkign the same buttons ....

Mine works using the steering wheel button. The same one that would mute the radio if not held down. I hold the button for two seconds and then it says 'ready' . Then I say 'bluetooth' and it goes into the bluetooth menu.

Shel

:cheers::fume::chevy: just installed my ebay obtained 20783877 vcim in my 07 avalanche with nav...can not get my bluetooth working, hold down voice button try saying bluetooth and not recognized. tried the mirror phone button "on* ready" tried "bluetooth "....not recognized....i looked at my old onstar module and it was labeled 06 version, is there something else thats not compatable? this must have been built in 06 but is a new body style 07 any help would be welcomed.

In my old Jeep, I used a Motorola T505. The phone connects to it, and the T505 has it's own Microphone and speaker built it. It also has a button that turns on an FM Transmitter, and allows you to send the phone call to an FM radio station. It can use anything from 88.1 to 109.1. The added bonus of that device was that it also used bluetooth A2DP. That allowed it to pair to bluetooth music from the phone, allowing you to play Pandora, MP3s, Slacker, ETC ETC through the speakers for free. The battery lasted pretty much all week, and charged fast. If I used it at work as an external speaker and played music 9 hours a day plus phone calls from the truck, it would last 3-4 days.

There are newer ones out now. The JABRA is good as well.

:thumbs::D:sigh: just installed my ebay obtained 20783877 vcim in my 07 avalanche with nav...can not get my bluetooth working, hold down voice button try saying bluetooth and not recognized. tried the mirror phone button "on* ready" tried "bluetooth "....not recognized....i looked at my old onstar module and it was labeled 06 version, is there something else thats not compatable? this must have been built in 06 but is a new body style 07 any help would be welcomed.

Do you have the steering wheel audio controls on the right side of the wheel? They don't have to have the phone receiver icon, but you must have the physical buttons on the wheel for BT VCIM to function.

post-75803-1283047983_thumb.jpg

SEE:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...14886&st=15

I am looking to add bluetooth to my 2008 Sierra Non Nav & Bose. I don't care if the On* unit functions or not after install.

I'd like to use the On* mic for calls and be able to stream music from my HTC phone all while having radio & steering wheel controls, any other features beyond this will be a plus. By default Stock, Parrot & Moto are ruled out. The way it looks ATM is the Bluestar 2010 uses the On* mic but can't stream music and the BlueFusion can steam music but doesn't use the On* mic.

I am leaning hard towards the BlueFusion and splicing the wires from the On* mic to the BF. I would really like to do the splice directly from behind the glove box. If those wires are run from the passenger A pillar and not the drivers side this should be possible. Is there any where I can find a wiring diagram for this?

I have read most of this thread and done quite a bit of searching this site and the net without much luck.

Another thing I'm having a hard time finding is how good the sound quality is for the BlueFusion.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

I am looking to add bluetooth to my 2008 Sierra Non Nav & Bose. I don't care if the On* unit functions or not after install.

I'd like to use the On* mic for calls and be able to stream music from my HTC phone all while having radio & steering wheel controls, any other features beyond this will be a plus. By default Stock, Parrot & Moto are ruled out. The way it looks ATM is the Bluestar 2010 uses the On* mic but can't stream music and the BlueFusion can steam music but doesn't use the On* mic.

I am leaning hard towards the BlueFusion and splicing the wires from the On* mic to the BF. I would really like to do the splice directly from behind the glove box. If those wires are run from the passenger A pillar and not the drivers side this should be possible. Is there any where I can find a wiring diagram for this?

I have read most of this thread and done quite a bit of searching this site and the net without much luck.

Another thing I'm having a hard time finding is how good the sound quality is for the BlueFusion.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

I'll chime in...the scosche bf is absolute SHITE. Don't buy it.

I have to say after making the VCIM swap in my 07 Yukon Denali and loosing On* I was a little concerned.

But after using the OEM BT for the past few months I love it and would never go back.

As a comparison my work vehicle has a BlueAnt visor BT setup and its very poor quality compared to the GM OEM VCIM setup.

The ease of use, quality of audio, caller ID, connectivity, and options far outweighs the loss of On*

As most of us know the biggest test is whether or not the wife can use it without major issues and yes it passes that test.

The only system today thats a little more advanced is the Ford SYNC system, but if you check out the 9th Generation On* coming out on www.leftlanenews.com you will be surprised at how much GM has caught up.

Archived