Bluetooth Options For 2008 Silverado

After doing a bit more looking in TIS, I would agree that's probably the key to this whole thing. We need to use a 2009/2010 VIN to pull up the appropriate software that also matches the specific type of headunit installed in the vehicle. If I had to guess, the reason RayGMC was able to get his OnStar activated without too much trouble is because the used VCIM he purchased came from a vehicle with a matching audio system in it already.

It also explains why I've been having problems getting OnStar to load the right software into my unit. My truck originally came with a 6CD changer in the dash, and I replaced it with an OEM Navigation unit. OnStar doesn't know this, nor does GM's database that pulls up information based on how the truck was built at the factory.

You have the exact same situation as me with my Acadia - I had the 6-disc and added the OEM nav later. This is why Onstar kept screwing up and loaded non-nav software when I called for activation. Then my voice recognition would stop working properly with Onstar. Dealer fixed that part with ONSA at least, but I've written off getting full functionality.

As for the whereabouts of Chris White, I believe I saw a message on the G8 board that he's "working on another project", so he has shut down orders on his web site for awhile. He never replied to an email I sent him about 2 weeks ago.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for anyone's info so maybe something can be accomplished. Don't really remember how or where I got it from:

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in

this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Technical assistance has received several calls from dealers requesting assistance to upfit

their vehicle to include the Bluetooth feature RPO UPF.

Recommendation/Instructions:

There are no provisions to up-fit vehicles with this option. This feature is ONLY available

on vehicles built with option UPF or offered within an equipment option group (i.e LTZ or

SLE type package). Please do not call Technical Assistance, PARTECH or Techline Customer

Support Centers with questions on how to add this feature.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the

condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not

need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".

They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles,

or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly

trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job

properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to

your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for

information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

#03-08-46-004E: Part Restriction on Ordering OnStar Generation 7 and 8 Vehicle Communication

Interface Modules (VCIM) - (Apr 14, 2009)

Subject: Parts Restriction on Ordering OnStar Generation 7 and 8 Vehicle Communication

Interface Modules (VCIM)

Models: 2006 Buick Lucerne (Built After VIN Breakpoint 6U215221)

2006 Cadillac DTS (Built After VIN Breakpoint 6U215222), STS (Built After VIN Breakpoint

60209855)

2007-2010 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)

2007-2010 HUMMER H2, H3

2007-2010 Saab 9-7X

All Equipped with OnStar® (RPO UE1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year and update the subject line to

remove Gen 6 VCIMs. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-46-004D (Section 08 -

Body and Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The OnStar® Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM) is part of the OnStar® system. The

OnStar® VCIM is a restricted part. By working closely with our dealers and technicians,

through the parts restriction process, the General Motors team will gain a better

understanding of any field concerns that may develop.

Important: Only modules and components involved in a parts restriction program require a

call to TAC in order to obtain the necessary part. Parts such as antennas, cables, etc., are

available through the normal GMSPO channels.

When diagnosing OnStar® concerns, it is important to follow the repair information and

diagnostics found in the Cellular Communications sub-section of Service Information (SI).

Should the diagnostic steps taken indicate the OnStar module (VCIM) is believed to require

replacement, you must contact GM Technical Assistance Center (TAC). The GM TAC consultant

will verify your diagnosis and, if appropriate, order a replacement part on the dealer’s

behalf.

Note: TAC Consultants will no longer provide a part number back to the dealership when a

VCIM is to be ordered. The replacement VCIM that the dealership will receive may have a

different part number than the one currently installed in the vehicle. If there are no

physical or dimensional differences between the original and replacement VCIMs, then install

the new VCIM, and refer to SI for the proper setup and reconfiguration procedures. Failure

to perform the proper setup procedure will result in reduced OnStar functions and a returned

visit by the customer will be required.

Note: Replacement VCIMs are now shipped standard ground shipment unless otherwise

specifically requested by the dealer, and a pre-paid return package label will be included

for return shipment of the original VCIM. If the replacement VCIM ordered by the GM TAC is

not received within seven business days, contact the GM TAC.

Important: By returning the original VCIM, within the specified time noted in the documents

contained within the packaging of the service replacement unit, you and your parts

department will avoid a significant non-return core charge.

Reminder: When contacting the GM TAC with an OnStar® concern, the availability of certain

information from the vehicle will streamline the process for the dealership technician as

well as minimize the time necessary for TAC to provide the correct diagnosis. Please refer

to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-00-89-010H for additional information regarding the

information required by TAC. Dealers in Canada should refer to the GM Policies and

Procedures Article 5.3 Technical Assistance and follow Strategy-Based Diagnosis.

If your diagnosis leads you to call TAC, you will need to provide the following information:

• Electronic Serial Number (ESN)

• Station Identifier (STID)

• GM 8-digit part number

• Mobile Identification Number (MIN)

• Mobile Dialed Number (MDN)

• Transceiver ID (Trans ID)

To obtain this information, the technician should perform the following steps using a Tech

2® with the latest software version:

•Connect the Tech 2®.

•Enter Diagnostics and build the vehicle.

•Select Body.

•In the Body menu, proceed to OnStar®.

•To obtain the information required when ordering a replacement unit or for technical

assistance, select VCIM and then Module 2 Information.

Important: The information obtained from the vehicle should not be modified in any way

unless directed by the GM TAC consultant.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".

They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles,

or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly

trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job

properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to

your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for

information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

The WEB software said the TECH2 tool was not supported anymore so the tech had to switch to

a different more modern programmer called a J2534 tool. Connected wirelessly to the laptop.

Guess my search is on for a 2009 with similar options. I wonder how close it has to be? Found one that is pretty close, but I have a crew cab and it is an extended cab. Close enough? I am willing to give it a try. Let me know if somebody gets around to it before I can get to the dealer on Friday. Good luck to everyone trying it this way. I haven't had Chris White work on my VCIM yet, so maybe it will give us an answer if it is required or not. Here's to hope!

Have you guys seen these AfterMarket OEM style Navigation Radios?........very close to OEM but you get built in BlueTooth and everythings on the radio display. Mapping Geo data is on an SD card so no more GM Nav Discs.

If you're looking to add Navigation and BT this might be worth considering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-2...ht_13087wt_1199

I've got to have one.

And for those who are questioning Onstar reporting (Note this info is from Gen 7 information I have)

Deactivated OnStar® Accounts

In the event a customer has not renewed their OnStar® account after expiration or the account was never activated, OnStar® will make a discrete cellular call to the vehicle to deactivate the OnStar® system. Before taking this action, customers are notified that the OnStar® system in their vehicle will be deactivated unless they elect to renew the account. After the vehicle has been successfully deactivated, customers will experience the following when attempting to contact OnStar® from their vehicle:

• During an OnStar® Call Center button press, the customer will be connected to a dedicated sales team who can sell an OnStar® subscription and reactivate the vehicle. Depending on the type of OnStar® hardware in the vehicle, the customer may first hear a demonstration message stating there is no current OnStar® subscription for the vehicle, and directing the customer what to do to activate services.

• During an emergency button press, a demo message will be played indicating the service has been deactivated.

• OnStar® personal calling (OPC) will not be available, as this feature requires the customer to have a current OnStar® account. Attempts to use this feature may result in cellular connection failure messages and the inability to connect to the number dialed.

It is of particular note, that when an OnStar® system is successfully deactivated, it will NOT attempt to connect to the OnStar® Call Center in the event of a collision or if the vehicle's front air bags deploy for any other reason.

Certain vehicles that have never had an active OnStar® account, that have been deactivated, may be unable to establish a connection with the OnStar® Call Center. When normal published diagnostic procedures do not indicate a possible cause for the no connect concern, the vehicle may have been deactivated. For deactivated vehicles, a no connect response should be considered normal operation. Further diagnosis and subsequent repair is only necessary should the customer elect to become an active OnStar® subscriber.

OnStar Description and Operation - Continued

OnStar® Reconfiguration Procedure

Within the vehicle communication interface module (VCIM) are a set of unique numbers that identify the OnStar® customer and the specific vehicle the module resides in. These numbers, the station identification number (STID) and the electronic serial number (ESN) are transmitted over the cellular network when an OnStar® keypress is made and are essential for proper identification and connection to the OnStar® Call Center. In the event the VCIM requires replacement, the OnStar® reconfiguration procedure must be performed. This procedure allows for the new STID and ESN within the replacement module to overwrite the old numbers and update customer and vehicle information at the OnStar® Call Center. The reconfiguration process is explained within the VCIM replacement procedure, or the OnStar® Reconfiguration Procedure found in the diagnostic information and procedures section.

The default language for the new VCIM is English. Refer to the scan tool, to change to French or Spanish.

OnStar® Cellular, GPS, and Diagnostic Limitations

The proper operation of the OnStar® System is dependent on several elements outside the components integrated into the vehicle. These include the National Cellular Network Infrastructure, the cellular telephone carriers within the network, and the global positioning system (GPS).

The cellular operation of the OnStar® system may be inhibited by factors such as the users range from an analog or digital cellular tower, the state of the cellular carriers equipment, and the location where the call is placed. Making an OnStar® keypress in areas that lack sufficient cellular coverage or have a temporary equipment failure will result in either the inability of a call to complete with a data transfer or the complete inability to connect to the OnStar® Call Center. The OnStar® system may also experience connection issues if the identification numbers for the module, station identification number (STID) and electronic serial number (ESN), are not recognized by the cellular carriers local signal receiving towers. OnStar® cellular connection issues such as these require the assistance of the General Motors Technical Assistance Center OnStar® Group, which coordinates with cellular carriers to resolve connection issues.

And more info I have:

OnStar Reconfiguration (with TIS 2 Web Gen 4 and later)

Important:

• The vehicle communication interface module (VCIM) has a specific set of unique numbers that tie the module to a specific vehicle. These numbers, the 10-digit station identification (STID) and 11-digit electronic serial number (ESN), are used by OnStar® and the cellular network to identify the specific vehicle. Because these numbers are exclusive to the vehicle identification number of the vehicle, these parts should NOT be exchanged with those of another vehicle. After replacing the VCIM, it is essential to reconfigure the OnStar® system. Failure to reconfigure the system will result in an additional customer visit for repair. DO NOT press and hold the white dot button on the keypad as it will not reset this version of the OnStar® system and may result in a DTC to be set, a red LED and limited or incomplete OnStar® services. Use of the TIS 2 Web SPS application and the Tech 2 are required in order to perform the VCIM configuration and setup procedure for this vehicle. The configuration and set-up procedure is now a two step process which enables an automated activation by the OnStar Center, without a button press by the technician to the center.

• It may take up to 24 hours for the OnStar® service to become fully activated after performing the TIS 2 Web and Tech 2 setup procedures. Perform the OnStar® Activation procedure only once. Repeat attempts at performing the procedure may result in a delay of the activation process.

1. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.

2. Connect the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal to the Tech 2.

3. Select the OnStar® Activation programming option using the service programming system (SPS).

4. Upon completion of the OnStar® Activation programming event, disconnect the TIS terminal from the Tech 2 and perform the VCIM/OnStar Set-up Procedure using the Tech 2. The set up procedure is located under the special function menu option.

5. The default language for the new VCIM is English. Changing the language capability to French or Spanish is supported by service programming system (SPS) and by Tech 2 special functions. Changing the language capability is also dependant on the generation of the replacement OnStar module.

Inform the customer that it may take up to 24 hours for the OnStar® service to become fully activated after performing the TIS 2 Web and Tech 2 setup procedures.

Guess my search is on for a 2009 with similar options. I wonder how close it has to be? Found one that is pretty close, but I have a crew cab and it is an extended cab. Close enough? I am willing to give it a try. Let me know if somebody gets around to it before I can get to the dealer on Friday. Good luck to everyone trying it this way. I haven't had Chris White work on my VCIM yet, so maybe it will give us an answer if it is required or not. Here's to hope!

Have you guys seen these AfterMarket OEM style Navigation Radios?........very close to OEM but you get built in BlueTooth and everythings on the radio display. Mapping Geo data is on an SD card so no more GM Nav Discs.

If you're looking to add Navigation and BT this might be worth considering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-2...ht_13087wt_1199

If this radio is as it advertises it resolves a great many problems/issues/wants. I need a new map disk and do not intend on paying $199.00 for it. As for it's lack of identifying streets, it s*cks. I did get one of the VCIM's and have had bluetooth ever since and love it. I have the red light and have been watching this blog for curiousity. I haven't attempted to get Onstar to work. Not really interested in Onstar. The bluetooth works flawless, but this radio would beat all of the current features of the factory Nav and the bluetooth through the VCIM. I have the Bose amps and speakers, so I'll do the research as to this radios music abilities.

And one last thing......Even if all is correct it may not work until Onstar associated the vehicle with the VCIM, tied an active account (yours) to the VCIM/Vehicle. AND THEN assigned an actual telephone number versus the 555 number usually found after a VCIM change. If you have an exisiting account with an active telephone number then the dealer should be able to program it. Maybe the Onstar secret is getting an account FIRST with the prerequisite VIN etc and then getting it programmed by the dealer so that he does it all. If your original vehicle COULD have come with GEN 8 hardware... it should be feasible which I think is why some of the G8 people have been having success and why some used (with active accounts) have been able to work once the account is changed and a new number assigned. Just my thoughts on the subject, since I am Gen 7 originally, I think I am just screwed for Onstar because I want to keep the factory bluetooth even though I would willingly pay the monthly fees and pay for any minutes Onstar would charge :

OnStar® - Number Incorrect/Incorrectly Assigned

Bulletin No.: 05-08-46-004B

Date: January 08, 2008

INFORMATION

Subject:

OnStar® Phone Number Concerns (Phone Number Incorrect/Assigned to Another Vehicle/Phone) That Occur During Diagnosis of OnStar® System

Models:

2000-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks

2003-2008 HUMMER H2

2006-2008 HUMMER H3

2003-2008 Saturn Vehicles

2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

with OnStar® (RPO-UE1)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2008 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-46-004A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

During diagnosis of an OnStar® concern the technician may be told that the OnStar® phone number is incorrect or tied to another vehicle and/or phone of some kind. To resolve these concerns the Tech 2® with software version 22.005 (or higher) has the capability to change the OnStar® phone number.

Service Procedure

With the Tech 2® build the vehicle to specifications within the Diagnostics area of the Tech 2®.

For vehicles with physical-based diagnostics - under Body go to the OnStar® section. Then select the Special Functions menu. For vehicles with functional-based diagnostics - under Body and Accessories go to the Cellular Communication section. Select Module Setup and then Vehicle Communication Interface Module.

Locate the Program Phone Number prompt and select it. The original phone number will be displayed on the Tech 2® screen.

Contact the OnStar® team at the GM Technical Assistance Center (TAC) to obtain a new phone number.

Highlight the digits of the phone number one at a time and enter the new phone number using the number keys on the Tech 2®.

Press the Soft key at the base of the screen for Done once these numbers have been changed on the screen.

Press the Soft key for Done again. The area code or new phone number has now been programmed into the phone.

Cycle the ignition to Off and open the drivers door.

Press the blue OnStar® button to make sure that a normal connection can be made to the OnStar® call center. If applicable make sure the Hands-Free Calling (HFC) works properly by making a phone call.

If the system is working properly fax or voicemail a case closing into the OnStar® team at TAC with the results. Dealers in Canada should submit case closing information through the GM infoNET.

Please follow this diagnostic process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved WITHOUT completing every step the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If the procedure above does not resolve the condition you must contact TAC for further assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed specifically for this condition and should not automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty use, the table.

Warranty Information (Saab U.S. Models)

Just my thoughts on the subject, since I am Gen 7 originally, I think I am just screwed for Onstar

Given that there are proven cases of vehicles with Gen 7 modules regaining working OnStar after installing the Gen 8 modules, I can't agree with you. :cheers:

I agree with Charlie......since we have 07 GMT900 vehicles out there as examples with working Gen8 On* VCIM's.

We have too many upgraded VCIM vehicles with partial On* functionality now to give up before we conquer this issue.

We're not that far off.

I hope that is true but I cannot expend any more time on it and must rely on others to find the solution which is why I dropped this information. I am working on updating to 2009 magnetic ride control from 2007 electronic ride control which is more intricate and affects the BCM and XBCM software as well as wiring, so I am going to concentrate my efforts in that area. What I have learned through this process is that I might have been better off just buying a 2009 with magnetic ride control and bluetooth already installed. It definitely seems to me that the owners of these vehicles (2007-2008) have more interest and loyalty to their vehicles than the engineers that designed the software/hardware for them and refuse to offer solutions that we all know are technically achievable.

I hope that is true but I cannot expend any more time on it and must rely on others to find the solution which is why I dropped this information. I am working on updating to 2009 magnetic ride control from 2007 electronic ride control which is more intricate and affects the BCM and XBCM software as well as wiring, so I am going to concentrate my efforts in that area. What I have learned through this process is that I might have been better off just buying a 2009 with magnetic ride control and bluetooth already installed. It definitely seems to me that the owners of these vehicles (2007-2008) have more interest and loyalty to their vehicles than the engineers that designed the software/hardware for them and refuse to offer solutions that we all know are technically achievable.

My problem is that as much as I like the additional features like Bluetooth, USB, etc. there are other features that have been changed or eliminated in the newer trucks that I don't want to give up. Plus it's just plain fun to mess with this kind of stuff no matter how frustrating it can sometimes also be.

Yup, sure is just plain fun!

On a side comment, I have the BT VCIM in my hands, and am now wanting to upgrade to the OEM nav. I've got the 6 disk Bose system now. I think I saw in one of your other posts to another member to "save yourself some trouble and get a nav from an '09-'10" or close to that. Really? If I can get a '07 or '08 nav wouldn't that be ok? I know I won't have usb, but is there something else?

Thanks

In your case, David, any GMT900 NAV unit will work fine. I actually did the exact same swap in my truck (6 disc to NAV) and it was no big deal. The unit I used was a 2009, but that's really immaterial to a successful swap. The 2009 units do have XM Nav-Traffic capability, but that doesn't work in an 07-08 without also swapping the XM tuner module (which I haven't done).

I'm now upgrading to a 2010 NAV with the USB, so I'll be selling the 2009 unit I have now. Keep an eye on the For Sale section, I'll be posting it within the next couple of days. First to message me/reply once I make the thread gets it for a pretty good price. :)

RE: NAV upgrade

But if I have an '07 with DVD and CD, when I upgrade to NAV don't I loose the ability to have a CD & DVD running at the same time? Also, don't you have to have the NAV CD installed for it to operate?

post-75803-1274750739_thumb.jpg

RE: NAV upgrade

But if I have an '07 with DVD and CD, when I upgrade to NAV don't I loose the ability to have a CD & DVD running at the same time?

Not if you have the rear seat entertainment package, as far as I know. Or you can use a lockpick.

Also, don't you have to have the NAV CD installed for it to operate?

Yes. There is a separate slot behind the nav screen specifically for the map disc, so you still have the main slot for audio CDs and/or DVDs.

Archived