Bluetooth Options For 2008 Silverado

Interesting.... good to know! Thanks for the update, Lance.

Based on some of what you've described though, it would seem that the same VCIM's functionality is different when installed in a Lambda versus when it's installed in a GMT900; strange, but I suppose understandable to some degree.

I guess for us GMT900 guys the battle still forges on. RayGMC's truck is proof that this can be done but for the life of me I can't figure out why the rest of us have had no luck finding techs who know what to do to "make it so, number one."

picard-facepalm.jpg

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Onstar vehicle diagnostics - Almost certainly will not work. When I went to the Onstar web site to enroll - it says Onstar Vehicle Diagnostics are not available for this vehicle.

I get the same thing when I try to enroll on the website as well.

I'll try inbound calls later and let you know.

I got a little more info today.

I tried again yesterday to activate my account and got all the way through with no success due to the same error message as before "Bad model year software error"

This time I had a senior tech who told me the dealership applied the wrong model year ONSA TIS2WEB setup software.

I told him the dealer technician chose 2008MY because the VCIM was 2008MY but On* tech said I need 2007 ONSA TIS2WEB setup software so back to the dealership Thursday morning to try again.

I still find it funny they answer the red emerg On* button push with my name and yet they say they cant swap my account????????

Still a ray of hope, but I agree with Lance, this will be the end of the road if it doesn't work.

New to this forum. I am really interested in this thread. Wish I would have read this before I spent a small fortune at the dealer today. Trying to figure out if it is worth sending to Chris White, or just cancel On*. I also have a red light and On* told me it was a software problem and the dealer loaded the wrong software. They told me to go back to the dealer and they would give me 3 months free. Not sure where I am going to go from here. Keep the updates coming. Not sure if I am going to go back to dealership, especially if they are going to charge me again. Wish I had only paid $90, they charge me $280 to program my stuff. Hopefully we can find a solution, although I am starting to doubt it. I really like the security of On*, but BT is way more important to me. Here is the info on my install:

1) -877 VCIM bought new from dealer

2) Flashed at dealer

3) Red light on

4) On* cannot activate

-Kip

New to this forum. I am really interested in this thread. Wish I would have read this before I spent a small fortune at the dealer today. Trying to figure out if it is worth sending to Chris White, or just cancel On*. I also have a red light and On* told me it was a software problem and the dealer loaded the wrong software. They told me to go back to the dealer and they would give me 3 months free. Not sure where I am going to go from here. Keep the updates coming. Not sure if I am going to go back to dealership, especially if they are going to charge me again. Wish I had only paid $90, they charge me $280 to program my stuff. Hopefully we can find a solution, although I am starting to doubt it. I really like the security of On*, but BT is way more important to me. Here is the info on my install:

2) Flashed at dealer

3) Red light on

4) On* cannot activate

-Kip

Kip I would go back to the dealership and complain thats very unfair to charge you that amount to program the VCIM. My dealer did the ONSA TIS2WEB On* module setup 3X now and only charged me .5hr for the first one. They agreed I shouldn't pay anymore if I cant get it working.

White Auto only charges $150 + shipping.

Today we did ONSA setup again and I watched it say "Programming Successful" right on the TIS2WEB application screen.

So tomorrow I will try again with On* and hopefully we will get this sorted out.

I agree with you the BT is so good its worth the loss of On* if we have to.

2) Flashed at dealer

3) Red light on

4) On* cannot activate

-Kip

$280?! That's highway robbery!

If you are concerned about getting a green light, pretty much the only option you've got is Chris White from what I've experienced. If the dealer tried programming the module and your light is still red, it means the Tech2 isn't getting your VIN flashed into the VCIM module because the default software in it does not have the ability to recognize a pre-2009 VIN.

The VIN has to be correctly flashed into the VCIM before the ONSA procedure in TIS2WEB will work because part of that procedure involves the VCIM checking that it is able to communicate with other modules in the vehicle (primarily the BCM) and that everything matches. If the VINs don't match, it throws a fit and fails the setup.

As you've discovered, the bluetooth works fine without having to do anything beyond the hardware swap. It's everything after that where things get tricky.

2) Flashed at dealer

3) Red light on

4) On* cannot activate

-Kip

Kip I would go back to the dealership and complain thats very unfair to charge you that amount to program the VCIM. My dealer did the ONSA TIS2WEB On* module setup 3X now and only charged me .5hr for the first one. They agreed I shouldn't pay anymore if I cant get it working.

White Auto only charges $150 + shipping.

Today we did ONSA setup again and I watched it say "Programming Successful" right on the TIS2WEB application screen.

So tomorrow I will try again with On* and hopefully we will get this sorted out.

I agree with you the BT is so good its worth the loss of On* if we have to.

Thanks for the advice. I think when I go back in there to have them try to reprogram I will bring that up. Keep us posted. Maybe I need to send it off to White Auto. What do you think? Hold off until you guys are 100%?

-Kip

Well, IMO, $150 to change a red LED to green seems a little much. Now if these guys PROVE that once CW does his bit AND On* can provide you full functionality, then yeah, maybe it would be a resonable expense for those who want/need On* to work. Also, I think that once the VCIM has full functions with the CW re-program and On* connection, then you will also be able to get On* monthly reports.

So again it is a "wait and see" if someone finally resolves all issues with a VCIM swap.

Me personally, I just want BT for hands free... paid $100USD for the VCIM, a pound of salmon and shrimp for shipping, will know on Tuesday if I will be content with a semi-functioning BT/VCIM.

Kip,

Something else to try at the dealership, if Plan A doesn't work:

Bring the VIN from an '09 GMT 900 that you know has Bluetooth and have the tech input this VIN to get the correct VCIM software. By default, the Tech II or other handheld programmer will use your VIN to download the VCIM software. Since your truck did not come with Bluetooth, the software that is downloaded will be for a VCIM without Bluetooth.

I'm sure others will tell you that the VCIM must have your VIN to function, but if that were the case, it would be contrary to the few people who have it working...those that work are used modules that were not re-programmed.

Scott

Well guys, it looks like the Chris White issue may be a moot point now anyway. I just went to his site to look something up and found this message:

WAMS is currently closed. For support please use the contact us button above.

Copyright © 2010 White Auto and Media Services. All Rights Reserved.

I'm going to reserve further comment at this point, but it would seem we're now without an option for the new guys performing this swap.

It is also noteworthy that there are at least five different VCIM modules / revisions for the GMT 900 that support Bluetooth. The Tech II or other handheld programmer should automatically detect the correct VCIM hardware version. For the different modules, there are three different software versions for Bluetooth. Here is the breakdown:

Hardware ID:        Software for Nav Radio:     Software for MP3 Radio:    Software for Dual Play Radio w/ Bose:      Software for Dual Play w/o Bose:?                        25871331                        25833086                        N/A                                                    N/A3229497              25871333                        25833087                        20883777                                            259520103232305              25871333                        25833087                        20883777                                            25952010 3232306              25871333                        25833087                        20883777                                            25952010 3233073              25920080                        25920079                        20883777                                            20934145 3233074              25920080                        25920079                        20934146                                            20934145

There is also a Super Nav Radio, which only has one Software ID: 25871337

If you go to the dealership, please let us know which Hardware ID you have and which Software ID you program it with.

Scott, where in the devil did you get that chart?!?!

I've been looking for that information for MONTHS and gotten nothing.

You can get the same information from TIS2WEB:

http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

Just enter in any VIN and choose the VCIM. I just noticed that 2007 and 2008 models don't have VCIM info in the system for some reason...not sure if some vehicles were left out or what.

Scott, where in the devil did you get that chart?!?!

I've been looking for that information for MONTHS and gotten nothing.

You can get the same information from TIS2WEB:

http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

Just enter in any VIN and choose the VCIM. I just noticed that 2007 and 2008 models don't have VCIM info in the system for some reason...not sure if some vehicles were left out or what.

Hmm.... that must be fairly new, the last time I looked in there even under 2009-2010 models nothing was listed like that. Good catch!

Archived