Bluetooth Options For 2008 Silverado

sees an error with the antenna, error code B2485.

I just looked up that error code, and it has to do with the bluetooth antenna, not the antennas that connect you to the OnStar network.

Spend $20 on a new BT antenna from eBay and that DTC issue will go away :lol:

Where did you find the listings of error codes?

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just looked up that error code, and it has to do with the bluetooth antenna, not the antennas that connect you to the OnStar network.

Spend $20 on a new BT antenna from eBay and that DTC issue will go away :D

Google. :D

It brought up this article from GM TechLink:

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2008/05...th-summary.html

There is only one additional DTC being added for Bluetooth functionality. The DTC is B2485 Wireless Communication Antenna Circuit 1 (Bluetooth) with the failure type bites of $01 Short to Ground and $04 Open Circuit.

The Bluetooth antenna part number is separate from the OnStar module.

:lol:

Any luck at the dealership today Charlie? Hoping for good news!

Sadly, no luck still. We suspect that we know why, though. It looks like the pin-outs on the connectors at the back of the 2010 USB-equipped NAV unit I recently installed are slightly different than the 2009 NAV I had; a couple of pins on one connector link between the VCIM and NAV unit directly, and look to be in the wrong spot. When we tried programming the VCIM, the new software made the voice control start going completely nuts followed immediately by the programming failing.

So now I have to go back in and remove those terminals from the factory harness and re-arrange them so we can try programming yet again. It's entirely possible that what we were trying to do would have worked if not for the wiring issue, though.

My own fault for making too many changes at once I suppose. :lol:

What's strange is, this issue didn't show up until we tried to re-program the VCIM. Not sure why.

Wiring diagrams for 2008/2009 hope it helps don't have 2010.

Extract_Page1_From_Onstar_wiring_.pdf

Extract_Page2_From_Onstar_wiring.pdf

Extract_Page3_From_Onstar_wiring.pdf

Spend $20 on a new BT antenna from eBay and that DTC issue will go away :)

Google. :lol:

It brought up this article from GM TechLink:

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2008/05...th-summary.html

There is only one additional DTC being added for Bluetooth functionality. The DTC is B2485 Wireless Communication Antenna Circuit 1 (Bluetooth) with the failure type bites of $01 Short to Ground and $04 Open Circuit.

:lol:

I opened the dash while the wife was shopping, removed the BT antenna and made some minor adjustments to the connector (1mm or less) and re-installed. Haven't had a red LED since! The antenna is only a cap across the antenna connector and two (2) traces about 1.5 cm each. Unless it breaks, not much here to fail!

I will be calling On* again today since they still think I am driving a '09 Acadia. Altho my system appears to be working better than most, I am still not 100%

I still don't get why some people haven't been able to even get to where I am. Too bad we didn't know anyone who works at On* so we could pick their brains... we are close, but no cigar.....

BTW: opened the VCIM just to have a look and saw a production date on the pwb of 2007! These boards were designed and made in 2007 and if you look at the older pwbs, some of them actually HAVE all the prints on the PWB but weren't populated!

I opened the dash while the wife was shopping, removed the BT antenna and made some minor adjustments to the connector (1mm or less) and re-installed. Haven't had a red LED since! The antenna is only a cap across the antenna connector and two (2) traces about 1.5 cm each. Unless it breaks, not much here to fail!

Awesome! Glad a simple fix got you taken care of.

I will be calling On* again today since they still think I am driving a '09 Acadia. Altho my system appears to be working better than most, I am still not 100%

I still don't get why some people haven't been able to even get to where I am. Too bad we didn't know anyone who works at On* so we could pick their brains... we are close, but no cigar.....

I'm with you on that one.... I don't get why some people have had excellent luck and others no dice whatsoever. Has to just be a luck of the draw deal as far as whether or not the tech you get on the line knows what they're doing or not.

BTW: opened the VCIM just to have a look and saw a production date on the pwb of 2007! These boards were designed and made in 2007 and if you look at the older pwbs, some of them actually HAVE all the prints on the PWB but weren't populated!

Not the first time I've heard that; which further supports the idea that this is purely a software problem as opposed to a hardware compatibility issue. If GM would make it easier to flash the proper calibration into the module we would be able to solve this without a problem.

I'm curious, you said you got a full diagnostic email from your "2009 Acadia" -- did the odometer/OLM/TPMS data reported in that email match up with what is actually there in your Silverado? Did you have any errors whatsoever reported in that email? If not, it would seem to indicate that the Gen8 VCIM actually CAN successfully do diagnostics in an '07-08 truck if the right calibration is loaded. Yet another piece of the puzzle.

VCIMs between 2007/2008 and 2009 are not even close to being the same electronically..2007/2008 have 3watt outputs and 2009 is .6watt. I thought it might be feasible to make electronic changes so took 3 of them apart. These are some horrid pictures (did not have in macro and didn't check before putting them back together...don't forget the heatsink compound if you try it) but the pictures clearly show the differences. Bluetooth components are on the main board. 2009 is the last three. The order is top of PCB, Bottom of PCB, and transceiver section. I was hoping to be able to just swap out the transceiver but that is not possible/feasible either.....

post-74057-1277147125_thumb.jpg

post-74057-1277147149_thumb.jpg

post-74057-1277147164_thumb.jpg

post-74057-1277147181_thumb.jpg

post-74057-1277147201_thumb.jpg

post-74057-1277147221_thumb.jpg

Too bad we didn't know anyone who works at On* so we could pick their brains... we are close, but no cigar.....

I'm with you on that one.... I don't get why some people have had excellent luck and others no dice whatsoever. Has to just be a luck of the draw deal as far as whether or not the tech you get on the line knows what they're doing or not.

Not the first time I've heard that; which further supports the idea that this is purely a software problem as opposed to a hardware compatibility issue. If GM would make it easier to flash the proper calibration into the module we would be able to solve this without a problem.

I'm curious, you said you got a full diagnostic email from your "2009 Acadia" -- did the odometer/OLM/TPMS data reported in that email match up with what is actually there in your Silverado? Did you have any errors whatsoever reported in that email? If not, it would seem to indicate that the Gen8 VCIM actually CAN successfully do diagnostics in an '07-08 truck if the right calibration is loaded. Yet another piece of the puzzle.

Went back and checked On* online and yes... everything is available to me to look at on my ACADIAN, but no communications with my Silv.

There were no errors listed, odo listed correct, oil %, etc. so they do have full communications with all modules in the truck, BUT they still see me as an '09 Acadia. Never got a chance yesterday to contact them, but I may tonight cuz I have a 2hr+ drive to run...

So... points we have proven so far when upgrading your stock VCIM to VCIM + BT:

- You don't have to do thru your dealer to activate a "new" VCIM

- VCIM can be programmed so no RED LED in mirror by On*

- VCIM has full communications with all modules, as seen in diags online

- VCIM can be programmed with new number, minutes, etc by On* 100% compat

One thing just popped in my head..... I wonder how On* would have handled me if I had CW flash my VCIM before I called On*? As it stands, I have never said to On* I have swapped the VCIM since I bought my truck used and I was a new customer to them.

and so the saga continues.....

post-75803-1277209527_thumb.png

Spoke with On* yesterday and they finally said for me to go see a dealer! The deleted my account and started from scratch again as if I was a new customer but to no avail. They still see an '09 Acadia, not my '07 Silv.

Anyhow, I am still pleased since they connect to me quick when I call, green LED, On* phone with free minutes, and the best is I have BT.

I think I will let a sleeping dog lie......

I read through the entire thread and maybe I missed it but is there a write up, pictures or video explaining how to locate and replace the VCIM?

I have a 2010 Silverado LT...I'm not certain if the unit is located behind the radio or behind the panel that's toward the bottom of the dash???

TIA.

Tipsy

I read through the entire thread and maybe I missed it but is there a write up, pictures or video explaining how to locate and replace the VCIM?

I have a 2010 Silverado LT...I'm not certain if the unit is located behind the radio or behind the panel that's toward the bottom of the dash???

This thread, page 39, 3rd post down is a video link from Coastal Tech showing removal. Usually, the VCIM is located behind the lower panel, last component at the bottom of the stack for stereo, heater, etc. Once you pull everything out, you will see the VCIM mounted in there.

This thread, page 39, 3rd post down is a video link from Coastal Tech showing removal. Usually, the VCIM is located behind the lower panel, last component at the bottom of the stack for stereo, heater, etc. Once you pull everything out, you will see the VCIM mounted in there.

Okay, thanks...I did see that video but it only specified disconnecting the harness from the stereo to install the Lockpic. It didn't specifically mention that the VCIM is also located in that stack so I wasn't sure if it's there or in the lower part of the dash.

Tipsy

Archived