Chmsl Stoped Working

Hey everyone,

I just noticed that my CHMSL isnt working......I checked the fuse and its fine......I checked the bulbs and they are fine as well.

Is there another fuse or somewhere else I should be looking for the problem?

That stop light isn't wired into the back of the truck(where the trailer plug is) by any chance? Reason I ask is because I recently ran a wire from my cab to the trailer plug for my brake controller. So I had the wiring back there unwrapped but didnt pull anything apart.....just wandering if maybe I disconnected something or some thing came loose by accident.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....as it always is!!.......... :cheers:

I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but I think the CHMSL wire is direct to the brake light pedal switch or splits off of the switched leg (possibly in a wrapped harness.) If you can't find the wire problem, you could run a single wire from the switch to the CHMSL and disconnect the factory wire. An in-line fuse in theis wire would be wise. It's seperate because there is no logic needed for turn/hazard blinking.

I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but I think the CHMSL wire is direct to the brake light pedal switch or splits off of the switched leg (possibly in a wrapped harness.) If you can't find the wire problem, you could run a single wire from the switch to the CHMSL and disconnect the factory wire. An in-line fuse in theis wire would be wise. It's seperate because there is no logic needed for turn/hazard blinking.

A new wire wouldnt be too bad to run I suppose except for getting it into the headliner......not sure how easy that would be.

Hey everyone,

I just noticed that my CHMSL isnt working......I checked the fuse and its fine......I checked the bulbs and they are fine as well.

That stop light isn't wired into the back of the truck(where the trailer plug is) by any chance? Reason I ask is because I recently ran a wire from my cab to the trailer plug for my brake controller. So I had the wiring back there unwrapped but didnt pull anything apart.....just wandering if maybe I disconnected something or some thing came loose by accident.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....as it always is!!.......... :thumbs:

If it's wired the same as my 02 it's run straight from the CHMSL fuse (10A) in the underhood fuse block thru a relay block and a direct shot to the lamp assembly. The same circuit looks to feed the trailer brake lights as well. The stoplamp switch feeds both the CHMSL fuse and the VEH STOP fuse. Did you check to see if you had trailer brake lights?

Hey everyone,

If it's wired the same as my 02 it's run straight from the CHMSL fuse (10A) in the underhood fuse block thru a relay block and a direct shot to the lamp assembly. The same circuit looks to feed the trailer brake lights as well. The stoplamp switch feeds both the CHMSL fuse and the VEH STOP fuse. Did you check to see if you had trailer brake lights?

I did test my trailer plug to see if there was power to the plug when the breaks were applied and yes there is........I will have to double check it though.......you got me second guessing myself... :smash:

Hey everyone,

I did test my trailer plug to see if there was power to the plug when the breaks were applied and yes there is........I will have to double check it though.......you got me second guessing myself... :smash:

Make sure you let us know what you find....

I had the same problem on my '99 Sierra. Sometimes one would be out ,or both at the same time. The contacts and bulb contacts seemed to get corroded easily. I played with cleaning the contacts for a long time which would work for a while. Then I just replaced the bulbs and never had a problem again. I know that sounds like a stupid fix for your problem,but it did work for me.

Simple check would be to disconnect the wire you ran and see if the CHMSL works again. If so you know where the problem is. If not you didn't waste much time on my dumb suggestion. :thumbs:

Hey everyone,

Make sure you let us know what you find....

Will do.

Simple check would be to disconnect the wire you ran and see if the CHMSL works again. If so you know where the problem is. If not you didn't waste much time on my dumb suggestion. :thumbs:

I dont think its the wire I connected.....all I did was runa wire from the back of my break contoller to one of the pins on my trailer plug...its not tied into any of the factory wiring.

I dont think its the wire I connected.....all I did was runa wire from the back of my break contoller to one of the pins on my trailer plug...its not tied into any of the factory wiring.

I wouldn't think so but the timing is about right.

The timing is exactly right.......well, in the moring I will pull that wire off the trailer plug and see what happens.

Simple check would be to disconnect the wire you ran and see if the CHMSL works again. If so you know where the problem is. If not you didn't waste much time on my dumb suggestion. :shakehead:

The timing is exactly right.......well, in the moring I will pull that wire off the trailer plug and see what happens.

Hey Ron,

Did you get your problem fixed?

John

Simple check would be to disconnect the wire you ran and see if the CHMSL works again. If so you know where the problem is. If not you didn't waste much time on my dumb suggestion. :shakehead:

Hey Ron,

John

Yeah... I was wondering as well.

Hey Ron,

John

Nope.....I do not know what it is......the wire I ran from my brake controller to my trailer brake plug has no corolation........I even checked ever single fuse in both fuse panels and none or burnt.....im at a bit of a loss.

Archived