4L60E Transmission

Yep, this slushbox has been around for quite awhile.  It's the same tranny as the old 700R4, just electronically controlled.  It seems to be a pretty durable transmission, but I would not recommend towing with it in OD for any period of time.  I personally don't think it is heavy duty enough of a tranny to tow in OD, but it will last a long time towing in D.

• 1 year later...
Actually it is not the same as the 700R. I just spent 3 grand on getting mine completely rebuilt. After 25000 miles I got a torque converter sudder. I took it back and they replaced the torque converter which was being recalled and upgraded the valve body to a larger valve body like the 700R. The purpose was the be able to handle harsh conditions like towing and off-roading. The 4L60E has an inherant weakness and will break some sort of conical gear due to being spot welded. It normally occurs around 75000 miles. In my case I was running mine kind of hard and it stripped and thru metal everywhere while breaking gears left and right. Now all seems fine but they made the mistake of giving me an unlimited mileage warrenty.

Just curious, Race18, couldn't you have bought a JET performance version for $3k?  It's been a while since I priced them, but I would've thought you could get one installed for that kind of money.  Anyway, good luck with yours.

Actually it is not the same as the 700R. I just spent 3 grand on getting mine completely rebuilt. After 25000 miles I got a torque converter sudder. I took it back and they replaced the torque converter which was being recalled and upgraded the valve body to a larger valve body like the 700R. The purpose was the be able to handle harsh conditions like towing and off-roading. The 4L60E has an inherant weakness and will break some sort of conical gear due to being spot welded. It normally occurs around 75000 miles. In my case I was running mine kind of hard and it stripped and thru metal everywhere while breaking gears left and right. Now all seems fine but they made the mistake of giving me an unlimited mileage warrenty.

700R4 and 4L60E are the same; I've seen them, side by side.  The inherent problem with the 4L60E is that one of the valves causes too much wear in the valve body, eventually causing the bore to become out of round, and rendering the valve useless.  the valve can be replaced with an oversized valve, or the valve body can be replaced.

700R4 and 4L60E are the same; I've seen them, side by side

The 700R4 and the 4L60 are more similar to eachother.  The 4L60E model has quite a few differences because of the electronic control.  I believe they all use the same case and pan though, so they appear identical on the outside.  I could be wrong on this.  Rebuilding trannies is just not somethign I get into.  I just R&R them.

Rob

700R4 and 4L60E are the same; I've seen them, side by side

The 700R4 and the 4L60 are more similar to eachother.  The 4L60E model has quite a few differences because of the electronic control.  I believe they all use the same case and pan though, so they appear identical on the outside.  I could be wrong on this.  Rebuilding trannies is just not somethign I get into.  I just R&R them.

Rob

Well, yeah, I mean, each new model number means there's some revision involved, and the E clearly means electronically controlled, so there's solenoids..

Why don't you like rebuilding automatic transmissions?

Rebuilding is pretty much only done at transmission shops these days.  A lot of general reapair shops, and definitely the dealers don't mess with them anymore.  It's to the point where it's cheaper to just swap out one with internal problems for a remanufactured unit.

Of course, something like a valve body or a servo wouldn't be a problem.  But something like a band or clutch is out of my hands.  Especially since now I work right next to a transmission shop we sublet to.

Rob

I personally don't think it is heavy duty enough of a tranny to tow in OD, but it will last a long time towing in D.

On the door jamb of my '94 (with 4L60E) it says do not tow in OD.  I used to tow a 4000lbs trailer regularly (in D) and have never had any problems.  167500 miles and going strong.....well except the flexplate but the tranny is fine.

The 700R (or 4L60) and the 4L60E are not the same thing.  Actually the 4L60E in a four cylinder S10 is different then a 4L60E in a Silverado.  The input shafts are different due to the different amouts of input power.  There are several things different between the 700R and 4L60E but are still BASICLY the same.  I wouldn't go swapping parts from a 700 to a 4L60E.

On the subject of weak points in teh 4L60E, the weakest point in the tranny is the reaction sun shell.  In the older transmissions they would rip the peace that splines onto the sun gear.  GM has tried to fix this problem which in a way they did.  The sun shell no longer rips apart, insted is strips the splines out.  The other parts that are weak are the front and rear planetary gear, sprag, valve body, and in high horse power applicatoins the input housing.

• 1 month later...

I was in a bind when mine exploded. So I was SOL. And Cop Dodger is right that is what busted on mine. The other trucks there at the time just busted the spot weld, mine on the other hand stripped the splines. Then metal shavings went everywhere. The showed me the busted gears. If I would have had the time to find something more robust I would have. I just hope that this one holds together.

Archived