Crane or MSD?

I want to get an ignition control box, coil, and wires.  I've narrowed the brands down to two, Crane and MSD.  I've heard of reliability problems w/ Crane, but the guys on Trucks! used it, and some people I've talked to have used it without having any problems.  Has anyone worked with one or the other or both? Thanks.

I don't have any personal expierence with either one but a friend of mine switched from Jacobs to MSD and he claims that the difference is unbelieveable.I've also seen similar posts on the subject on a ZR2 related site so if I was going to buy one,it would be MSD because of the testimonials.

Dangit yZR,

Thanks for the info.  Now the vote is even on both brands.  

Do you know what kind of coil he used?  With MSD I know I want a 6A control box and 8.5mm wires, but can't decide on a coil.  Also, does he have a lot of mods on his engines, or a few bolt ons?

Thanks again.

(Edited by GH6702 at 10:23 pm on Mar. 8, 2001)

• 4 months later...

I have a MSD 6A box, 8.5mm wires. They have a wiring kit for a plug and play installation. I noticed a marked improvement higher RPM's. If you go to the MSD site and fill out the application, someone will write back with all the part numbers. I got it all at Summit.

I would be interested in comments on a coil. I just could not see and benefit.

Archived