Durabak vs. Herculiner

I know bedliners have probably been discussed to death, but I noticed there is another brand of DIY liner and wondered if anyone had tried it.

I'm also trying to decide whether to go with your basic black or white to match the truck. How easily does this stuff clean? I don't do alot of hauling, but when I do, I treat it like a truck and I expect the bedliner to serve me, not the other way around.

One last question, has anyone done Herculiner or Durabak over the rail? I'm wondering how difficult it is to get nice straight edges and how much extra I should buy.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I'm not really sure about your first questions, but as far as straight lines on the rail, if you mask off the area, I would think you could get as straight as you wanted, or even throw a curve in ther if you wanted.

What I'm particularly worried about is how to get the masking up and what the edge of the liner will look like. I saw something on another site (Rhino, xliner, something) that said they use tape with a wire edge which cuts the edge as you pull it up. Anybody ever seen something like that?

a bunch of jeepers use the roll on's in their rigs.  never heard one complain about herculiner but several have disliked the durabak.  if it gives problems in something like the tub of a jeep which isn't exposed to a bunch of abuse, i wouldn't imagine it'd hold up well under truck abuse.

as with anything along this line, the amount of time and care you put into the prep work will have a direct impact on the results you get.  read and FOLLOW the instructions with regard to cleaning and prepping the bed.  it MUST be clean to bond properly.  

i've never heard of your "wire-tape."  has kind of a gimmicky sound to it...  i'd be a little wary.

I put Herculiner over the rail with plain old masking tape. That stuff takes eight hours to fully cure, so pulling the tape off was no problem.

I've never even heard of Durabak.

Herculiner is awesome!

I've seen one or two posts in different places that say that Durabak is the same thing made by the same manufacturer. The major difference that I've been able to tell so far (from research on the internet) is that Durabak is offered in more colors. If I recall correctly, they have black, white, blue, yellow and green. Their web site is http://www.durabakbedliner.com. The instructions are pretty much identical to those for installing Herculiner.

I've thought about using the white as my truck is white and I've seen posts about it fading pretty badly.

The hardest thing about looking at this is trying to determine if other people's problems were caused by either improper installation or a bad lot of the the stuff coming from the manufacturer. I guess the same could be said for any of the professionally applied liners.

There have certainly been enough people give it the thumbs up that it probably is a good product.

Question for those who have the Herculiner.  I am in the process of installing Herculiner this weekend.  I have been working on the bed prep. for the last few evenings.  I'm curious how extreme you scuffed the bed?  I started out using the scuff pad that came with the kit but have since been using 100 grit sandpaper.  It has definitly scuffed the bed pretty good, it looks like there are millions of swirl/scratch marks.  I want to make sure this will be enough becuase I keep hearing that this is the most important part of the process to make sure it bonds well.

I have installed herculiner in my truck about 8 months ago. It has held up with out any dissapointments , I really didnt go all out scuffing it just followed the directions. Turned out great. I love it. reg. masking tape worked fine didnt leave any residue at all. you get the same protection as the other sprayin liners for about 300 dollars cheaper.

Archived