Bose System On My 2003?

Everyone,

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500, and I'd like to confirm whether I have the Bose system or not. I'm still not quite sure. My apologies in advance if I'm asking a question that has already been answered. I have searched but have come up with nothing.

First, I do have the six speakers (fronts, rears, and tweeters in dash), and the speaker grills on my front doors have the plate "Bose" on them, but does that mean it's an actual Bose system?

I'd like to replace my head unit, but I need to know whether I have the Bose system or not, due to wiring.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate it.

Jason

The only trucks with the Bose badges on the speaker grilles were Bose equipped. I'd say that is a pretty good indication.

By the way... Welcome to the ZOO!

Would this mean I would also have an 8" subwoofer and an amplifier installed somewhere in my truck? If so, where would I find them? Also, is there any indication you would know you have a Bose system by the factory head unit?

Some of the bose radios actually say bose on the radio, some don't. As for the subwoofer, I know a lot trucks of have a small (about 6 inches) sub and a small amp mounted underneath/inside the front of the center console. The suv's have a subwoofer in the rear side panel just inside the rear hatch on the driver's side.

Well, it doesn't sound like crap. Sounds pretty good, but want to replace the head unit first, then eventually get new speakers, add an amp and a sub system. I haven't seen the amp nor 6 or 8 inch sub, and I'll look tomorrow. Is it possible that I just have Bose speakers and no amp/sub?

Well, it doesn't sound like crap. Sounds pretty good, but want to replace the head unit first, then eventually get new speakers, add an amp and a sub system. I haven't seen the amp nor 6 or 8 inch sub, and I'll look tomorrow. Is it possible that I just have Bose speakers and no amp/sub?

You won't be able to see it unless you completely remove the entire center console. And if you replace the head unit, you have two choices: 1.Pay well over $100 for a harness to integrate with the factory bose amp and speakers. 2. Run new speaker wires from your new headunit to the door speakers completely bypassing the bose amps and you can buy a cheaper harness for a nonbose vehicle.

You won't be able to see it unless you completely remove the entire center console. And if you replace the head unit, you have two choices: 1.Pay well over $100 for a harness to integrate with the factory bose amp and speakers. 2. Run new speaker wires from your new headunit to the door speakers completely bypassing the bose amps and you can buy a cheaper harness for a nonbose vehicle.

Does this amp power all speakers or just the single small sub? Suppose I didn't get that harness, and just got a regular one - would that mean I wouldn't be able to get sound at all? I don't see the amp powering the door speakers or the tweeters - probably just that small 6 or 8 inch sub. If so, I could bypass that, because I plan on getting an amp and subs. Unless, of course, all speaker wires run through that amp, and then I'm screwed into getting a special harness.

Does this amp power all speakers or just the single small sub? Suppose I didn't get that harness, and just got a regular one - would that mean I wouldn't be able to get sound at all? I don't see the amp powering the door speakers or the tweeters - probably just that small 6 or 8 inch sub. If so, I could bypass that, because I plan on getting an amp and subs. Unless, of course, all speaker wires run through that amp, and then I'm screwed into getting a special harness.

If you have bose, with an amp, then it powers all speakers.....not just the sub.

I remember trying to figure out if i had bose as well. Basically, you can crank up the base, keeping volume rather low, and see if you can feel anything around center console (assuming you have one). You can also lift out the cup holders and move your hand around in under and you should feel the base pretty easy.

You can also check the RPO codes in your glove box. The code for bose as usually UQ7 but I think it could be UZ6 or UL9 as well.

You can also go to www.gm-trucks.com/rpo-code-lookup/ and put in your codes and see whats actually in the truck.

Copy that. I have rummaged through my truck, took apart the top part of the center console, and indeed, I have found the amp. It sits right below the storage bin of the center console. Because that part of the console is at the end, the so-called subwoofer must be sitting somewhere in the front part, and I haven't found it. Suffice it to say, I am still determined to replace my head unit.

Best suggestions? I could completely rewire all speakers, which is something I don't really want to do, or I could just get an adapter that will continue to power the Bose amp (is it really a Bose amp, because it looks shitty?).

My opinion: adapter. I simply just want to replace the head unit, and eventually get an amp and dual 10" subs. Now the question is, what adapter should I get? What's the cheapest method? I found one on Crutchfield, one that they recommend getting along with the head unit of my choice and it costs $99, an adapter that retains all warning chimes in addition to the Bose system. What do you guys think?

Money's not really an object here, but I'm going to be wise about it.

If you want to change all of the speakers, you will have to rewire them (either to the deck or an amp). Bose amp does not drive other speakers from what i've been hearing as resistance ratings are totally different on bose speakers.

If you want to leave stock speakers/amp and add other subs in the future then your best option would be a PAC C2R-GM24 or a Scosche one from walmart (not sure of part number). They keep the chimes and allow you to use factory amp.

You can go to any of the manufacturers websites to see what modules they have for your truck and what each of them do. MetraOnline is one, PAC is another, as well as Peripheral Electronics and Scosche. They all make good harnesses to do what you want to do.

I should be able to add an amp to drive my subs, right? Besides the one that's already in the truck? That would be connected directly to the head unit... so the amp would be getting stereo data from my head unit. Correct? I could just get an adapter to continue using the Bose system, and just add an amp/subs in the future but have them connect directly to the head unit's prevolt outputs.

I would be correct in saying the above, right?

Thanks for all the advice and input. Appreciate it.

I should be able to add an amp to drive my subs, right? Besides the one that's already in the truck? That would be connected directly to the head unit... so the amp would be getting stereo data from my head unit. Correct? I could just get an adapter to continue using the Bose system, and just add an amp/subs in the future but have them connect directly to the head unit's prevolt outputs.

I would be correct in saying the above, right?

Thanks for all the advice and input. Appreciate it.

If you get a module like the PAC C2R-GM24 or the Scosche one, then you will be using your two preouts (front & rear) to drive the factory amplifier. If you want to add an extra amp for subs, just make sure the deck you're going to get has a sub output (total of 3 sets of preouts) so you can dedicate that to your aftermarket amplifier.

Basically, when using any amplifiers (factory or aftermarket) you always use your preouts and not your regular speaker outputs.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Nick

That's exactly what I thought. Fortunately, I plan to buy a head unit with three sets of preouts. I was aware of the fact I had to use the front/rear preouts to drive the factory Bose setup.

Thanks so much for your help. I've gotten a clearer picture of what I need to do.

Archived