Dually Conversion

Has anyone done a dually conversion on a 2500 HD? I have a '05' 2500 HD Duramax, and need to increase the towing capacity. Anybody know how much the conversion would increase towing capacity? Are there any other differences between the 2500 and 3500? All I could see is the addition of a helper spring. I have already purchase some Super Springs, and they eliminate squatting when towing heavy loads. They also do not seem to affect the unloaded ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone done a dually conversion on a 2500 HD? I have a '05' 2500 HD Duramax, and need to increase the towing capacity. Anybody know how much the conversion would increase towing capacity? Are there any other differences between the 2500 and 3500? All I could see is the addition of a helper spring. I have already purchase some Super Springs, and they eliminate squatting when towing heavy loads. They also do not seem to affect the unloaded ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know, but I suspect there are a slew of differences - springs, spring mounting points, axle, etc. Its not as simple as adding dual rear wheels to increase the towing capacity.

As others have said, by a heavier truck - it will be cheaper than building one yourself.

• 2 months later...

The axle weight is the critical number there. A single rear wheel is rated for 6200 on the rear axle give or take the dually is rated for around 7500 give or take on axle weight. The GVW may be about the same yes but the axle weight is what will give a lil more capacity. Alot would depend on whether factory bed is on the truck or if the vehicle has a work body, flatbed etc. The stock chevrolet beds are heavy. My white dually has a flat bed on it made of 3 inch channel and metal diamond plate it is some 200 pounds lighter then the factory bed. Just a lil INFO.

The duramax carries the 1 ton axle. 11.5 inch full floater. Your axle capacity is fine. The only difference between a 3500 and a 2500 HD (duramax or 8100) is the extra rear springs. If your not hauling water or livestock the dully is a moot point. Just add the helper springs and you have a 1 ton, axle and all.

Archived