steering wheel control question

A quote from Moline425:

First, You must get the steering wheel with controls. I believe part numbers were listed above, but bottom line, make sure you get the right color if you are ordering. The black one is called ebony. Prices vary depending on where you get them. I got mine from a salvage yard brand new for $75. Second, You must replace the clockspring with the column harness. If you have a light duty pickup, you will need part number 26101829. This is for a 2 stage air bag. If you have a heavy duty, order part number 26101828. This is for a single stage air bag. If you are unsure, take off your airbag and look to see if it has 1 or 2 pigtails connected to it. 1 is a single stage, 2 is a 2 stage. GM has reduced the number of part numbers available to simplify things. Therefore, you will get a harness equipped with an additional 8 pin connector. This is for the steering wheel speed sensor for quadrasteer. If you do not have quadrasteer, just tape it to the column and don't worry about it.

Be careful when installing the harness, there are about 14 connectors, I spent 2 hours installing the harness and wheel.

Now the part which has been the most confusing. If your truck was not equipped with rpo code (UK3) which is redundant radio controls, your body controller will not recognize or (turn on) the radio controls. In addition the instrument cluster will not recognize or turn on the DIC functionality. Therefore, your dealer will have to call the Techline Support center. This is not the same as TAC. Techline is for software, programming...etc. They need to explain what they are doing and request a 2 VCI numbers. A VCI number is a new calibration code which will allow your controllers to turn on the radio and DIC controls. They need to get a code for the IPC and one for the TBC. They will then request info from the vehicle with their Tech 2 handheld device. They then take the Tech 2 to their PC loaded with TIS2000 and perform a SPS programming function using the VCI numbers. This will load the calibration into the Tech 2. They then take the Tech 2 back to the vehicle and load the new calibration into the vehicle. They will need to go through this process twice, once for the IPC and again for the TBC using the new VCI numbers.

I personally did every part of this on my own truck today (yes, the programming also) and it does work. The Dealers do not get this request often, so probably will not know the process. Therefore, print out this message and they will then understand.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old post, but I finally got around to adding the steering Wheel Buttons on my 1500 05 CC 4x4 Silverado, well almost! I installed the clockspring/column harness and steering wheel with the DIC and Radio buttons today.

BBSilverado wasn't kidding, the clockspring/harness was a good 2 hour job! I was also greatfull to know that the additional 8 pin connector was for quadrasteer which I didn't need and taped up as directed. However, there was one more plug, it was a bright green 2 pole plug with a green and black wire. Any ideas where this one goes? Are the steering wheel buttons backlit? if so perhaps it's plug for the lights?

I've got an appointment at 8:00 am Thursday to get the new calibration codes to wake up the buttons! So close now!

Thanks again BBSilverado for the advise. I've printed out the information to take to the dealer for the reprograming and they are enthusiastic about helping me out.

I know this is an old post, but I finally got around to adding the steering Wheel Buttons on my 1500 05 CC 4x4 Silverado, well almost! I installed the clockspring/column harness and steering wheel with the DIC and Radio buttons today.

BBSilverado wasn't kidding, the clockspring/harness was a good 2 hour job! I was also greatfull to know that the additional 8 pin connector was for quadrasteer which I didn't need and taped up as directed. However, there was one more plug, it was a bright green 2 pole plug with a green and black wire. Any ideas where this one goes? Are the steering wheel buttons backlit? if so perhaps it's plug for the lights?

I've got an appointment at 8:00 am Thursday to get the new calibration codes to wake up the buttons! So close now!

Thanks again BBSilverado for the advise. I've printed out the information to take to the dealer for the reprograming and they are enthusiastic about helping me out.

Congrats on the install.

The buttons are lighted but that plug is not for that, I don't know what that connector is for. I don't see it shown in the wiring schematics, but the manual is for 04 models.

Let me know if you find it's purpose.

Thanks for checking your schematics out for the wire. I'll see if the Guys at my dealership can tell me what it is. It wasn't on my standard clockspring which is why I wondered about the lights on the buttons. BTW, I just checked and the buttons do light up when I turn my lights on.

Hey, is there an easy way to pull the bottom plastic steering column cover? (My neighbor asked if I'd help him put the buttons on his 03 truck). I looked to see if the steering column tilt lever came off, but couldn't really tell. I was finally able to get the cover off by twisting and flexing it, putting it back on was just as fun.

Still no functioning buttons. I didn't really hang around the service bay to see what the trouble was, but I did see the Tech2 on the front seat of my truck and the Tech guy had to wait about an hour or so for GM to call back with the override codes. After several software upload attempts, nothing. The consensus was they didn't have the correct program at the dealership and needed to upgrade their equipment. Sounds like they are and still want to to do what it takes to figure it out.

Does this sound correct? Is there any tip I can tell these guys to help put this puzzle together?

Thanks,DC

I will be doing this to my truck this winter.

I just have one question.

I want to keep the stock instrument cluster, so it that part of the stuff the dealer has to program.

I know that they have to update the bcm. I was just wondering about the cluster.

Just trying to get all of the info I can before I start this project.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes, both need to be updated.

Check out BBSilverado's first post on this topic. It is very descriptive. I printed it out and took it to my dealer anad the tech guy knew exactally what needed to be done. The only problem seemed to be the the equipment at the dealership. Sounds like they are addressing that today. I'll keep you posted.

Dick

does anyone know if this will void the warrenty in any way?

It should not affect your truck's warranty because you are using factory GM parts and the dealership is doing the programming. The only problem may be if you later have a issue with the wheel, switches or clockspring. They will not warranty those because you did not buy them with the truck. Some dealers may warranty those parts if you bought them from them and they also did the installation, But that would be up to that dealer.

Hey BBSilverado I think I'm in trouble!

I just talked with the dealership who finally got through to techline for the codes. However, Techline told the tech guy at my dealership that they would not give us the codes. They said then everyone would want to do this.

So now what? It sounds like GM Techline "can" give me the codes, they just don't want to.

Is there someone I can call? I feel stupid now that I've spent the money on a new Wheel, Clockspring harness and the time to install it. All I have is a bunch of worthless buttons that lightup when my lights turn on.

Is there anyone I can call to explain my situation? Should I forward this to the GM Tech guy on the site? I hate to bug him since this may be outside his scope.

Thanks,

DC

here's some reading that might be of some helphere and here there is also a guy talked about briefly that one could ship your cluster to to inable the full dic. [email protected] I think it was $45 plus like $15 for shipping.  I hope to get started pretty soon

Wow! Those guys really went afer it! I thought I knew it all, well at least on this subject.

If my dealership can't help me out then I will certianly check out the $45.00 +$15.00 Cluster reflash. At least I'd have the DIC funtions.

I guess what bothers me the most is that Techline could provide the codes, but they won't. They told my tech guy at the dealership "then everyone would want to do it". I guess I don't see where this would be a problem? If nothing else GM made an additional 225 off of me (for the GM steering wheel and clockspring) over what it would have cost me to get my truck equiped from the factory. In the end I would have a more safe truck since I could work my radio right from the steering wheel! Sorry, now I'm ranting. It's really my problem. I was told it couldn't be done and I tried anyway. If nothing else I've seen my dealership really shine. These guys have spent more time and continue to work on this for me, they've gone above and beyond. I'll get something going, just wish it were a little easier.

Thanks again mudbug!

DC

Archived