Suspension Package Question

I am working on putting together an order for a 2010 and have a question regarding the suspension packages. I will be getting the 6.2 and it appears that that forces you into either the Z71 or Z60 package. I currently own a 2000 Z71 and have always liked it and the truck is used mainly as a daily driver with weekend towing of a boat and hunt and camping trips for light off-road use. I lean towards the Z71 but would I also like the proportions of the 20" wheels on these new trucks.

What are the differences and advantages/disadvantages between the Z85, Z71 and Z60 suspension packages?

Other than the size of the sway bar and the jounce bumpers on the Z71 suspension and the availability of the 20" wheels on the Z60 I am having trouble determining what the differences will be.

When I bought my 2008, the Z85 pkg had the largest front swaybar. The Z71 swaybar was smaller by a few millimeters.

A truck with a 7300 lb GVW (I think reqs the NHT pkg) will have heavier rear leafsprings than a 7000 lb GVW truck. Personally, my 7300 lb GVW Vmax has a ride that's harsher than I would prefer. It rides harder in the back than my 99 2500 of the same wheelbase with a similar load. I'm seriously considering switching out my 7300 lb leafsprings for some standard 7000 lb GVW springs and adding airbags for heavily loaded conditions.

When I bought my 2008, the Z85 pkg had the largest front swaybar. The Z71 swaybar was smaller by a few millimeters.

A truck with a 7300 lb GVW (I think reqs the NHT pkg) will have heavier rear leafsprings than a 7000 lb GVW truck. Personally, my 7300 lb GVW Vmax has a ride that's harsher than I would prefer. It rides harder in the back than my 99 2500 of the same wheelbase with a similar load. I'm seriously considering switching out my 7300 lb leafsprings for some standard 7000 lb GVW springs and adding airbags for heavily loaded conditions.

So then ride quality between two different trucks one with Z71 and on with Z85 or Z60 should be the same for 7000 lb GVW. I do think that the Z60 looks like it now has the same sway bar as the Z85 but larger than the Z71. Perhaps the Z60 will corner slightly better than the Z71?

I went with the Z71 pkg because of the Z71 appearance pkg (rancho shocks, gage cluster and painted front end).

Also you would have to get the NHT trailering pkg if you do not get the Z71 to get the 6.2.

Comparing the ride on my 08 2wd Tahoe (20's) with the 10 4wd Silverado (18's) The Silverado has a firmer ride which I prefer.

DSC00888.JPG

DSC00888.JPG

DSC00888.JPG

DSC00888.JPG

Hmm, chrome carbook seemed to let me get the 6.2 with the Z60 without the NHT but if that is not the case that makes the decision easier. I guess I could always just try and swap the wheels at a later date if I decided I wanted 20's. I drove a 6.2 Denali a few weeks ago and then the 5.3 right after and its true what they say once you go 6.2 you never go back. :lol:

I've always had a Chevy but I'm going GMC this time does the GMC have an equivalent Z71 apperance package as the Chevy, your gages look sweet.

Great truck by the way!

My vague recollection is that only the NHT towing pkg had the 7300 lb GVW springs (rear only?). Also, most of the Z71 pkg options could be ordered individually on a different pkg like a truck with Z85. I think the main items in Z71 were the skidplates, high capacity aircleaner and shocks (and maybe an upsized, midsized front swaybar).

As for ride quality, the springs are the main driver, the shocks and swaybars also contribute, but to a lesser degree. So, pkgs with various swaybars and shocks may have some difference in ride quality.

From my 2008 truck invoice

C6A GVW RATING - 7,300 LBS

From the Chevy site:

Z71 Suspension Package

Off-Road, includes 1.81" shocks, off-road jounce bumpers, 34mm front stabilizer bar, Skid Plate Package, air cleaner and Z71 decals on rear quarters.

Max Trailering Pack

Includes Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI engine, heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, Handling/Trailering Suspension Package, 9.5" (24.1 cm) hybrid rear axle, 3.73 rear axle ratio, 17" 6-lug custom aluminum wheels, P265/70R17 on-/off-road blackwall tires, fog lamps, front and rear disc brakes and Trailering package.

In order to choose this feature, you have also to addVortec 6.2L V8 SFI E85-Compatible Engine with FlexFuel

I believe I read somewhere that the NHT "Max Trailering Pack" came with a Z85 suspension.

ENGINE, VORTEC 6.2L V8 SFI E85-COMPATIBLE, FLEXFUEL

capable of running on unleaded or up to 85% ethanol (403 hp [300.5 kW] @ 5700 rpm, 417 lb-ft of torque [565.4 N-m] @ 4300 rpm)

(Requires C*10753 or C*10543 models. Requires (NHT) Max Trailering Pack, (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package or (Z60) High-Performance Package. Not available with (Z85) Handling/Trailering Suspension Package unless (NHT) Max Trailering Pack is ordered.)

Manufacturer Code: L9H

I believe I read somewhere that the NHT "Max Trailering Pack" came with a Z85 suspension.

It does,The NHT pkg. only comes with the Z85 suspension.

You can also get the Z60 or Z71 suspension pkgs. with the 6.2.

Archived