Haulgauge

Quefol

It looks like a gimmick in the category of blinker fluid! I imagine that it is possible to predict a load by some algorithm determined by load on the engine or suspension but I would need some convincing before I spent the money!

Question the efficacy of this myself. It is one thing to use gauges on air suspension bags to determine weights like commercial trucks do, not so sure about this one. Might work, but before I got one I would need to know how it does its thing. The site is suspiciously sparse on any detailed information. I am more persuaded to cross a scale and get the actual weights with no algorithms or guessing.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

Contacted the company. Reply was genuine and personal. Said they could setup a 50,000 lb unit in two weeks. Seemed genuine. Limited lifetime warranty, free shipping, blah blah blah. Said they needed VIN for set up. Although seemed genuine also seemed vague. Found a YouTube on it at SEMA. Didn't really inspire me to pull out my credit card. Here's a link to the video. The HaulGauge portion about half way through.

They say it combines data from torque converter. VIN specs, an accelerometer. Weirdly the rep didn't sound too knowledgable about his product. I'm not ready to drop $300 US based on what I've seen. No reviews anywhere either. Bit sketchy imo. I think they say they were going to test it. I'm going to try and find the test.

I'm pretty impressed with the application of technology for this unit, looks like it could be of help to some folks. However, I do question the logic of figuring out your load weight after you are hitched up headed down the road? Usually somewhere between raising the landing gear, and latching the coupler the thought of the trailer weight goes through my head.

For $300 you can buy a tongue weight scale and have enough to go to the scales, get some food, and your entire setup weighed. Plus what half ton can pull 20k anyway. You pretty much always hit your carrying capacity before you hit your max tow capacity with a half ton. My non professional opinion is that it's a waste of money.

*edit*

Okay so it's for the total weight of truck and trailer. I still mostly stand by what I said though. Also for that much that thing should be digital...

Edited by Chevyguy85

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...