Squeaky Windows When Rolled Down

Ok, so my front driver's side window has done that awful squealing noise when you roll it down for a while now. Well, today my front passenger and rear passenger window started doing it. A truck that is 2 years old should not be doing that and it's pretty upsetting. Is there a TSB out for this, or has anybody else had this issue? Is this something that the dealer will fix under warranty? If not, is that something I can fix on my own? I know it's the felt that runs along the window when rolled down.

Also, I have the dreaded slip yoke clunk and would get them to re-grease it while I"m there for that. Is that something that they will do free of charge under warranty as well? Any documentation or TSB numbers would be appreciated, if there are any out there.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subject: Front Door Window Regulator Squeak Noise When Operated (Apply Lubricant)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a front door glass squeak when operated up or down.

Cause:

There may be insufficient lubrication on the regulator rails.

Correction:

Lubricate BOTH front door regulators at time of repair using the following procedure.

Remove the regulator following SI.

Brush a small amount of lubricant on the entire length of both regulator rails.

Cycle the door glass to verify that the noise is gone.

Reinstall the regulator following SI.

Parts Information:

Part Number - 12371287 (in Canada, 10953437)

Description - Lubricant, Synthetic Multi-Purpose W/PTF

#09-04-21-003B: Clunk Noise at Stop or From Launch (Clean/Lubricate Rear Propshaft Slip Yoke Splines) - (Aug 11, 2009)

Subject: Clunk Noise at Stop or from Launch (Clean/Lubricate Rear Propshaft Slip Yoke Splines)

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series

2008-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe 1500 Series

2007-2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Series

2008-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 1500 Series

Equipped with 4WD (RPO NQG, NQH)

Attention: This bulletin contains a procedure to clean/lubricate the rear propshaft slip yoke splines and replace, if necessary. Check the history on this vehicle. If the lubrication procedure has been performed previously, then continue on and replace the transfer case rear output shaft.

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a bump feel or clunk noise at a stop or on launch. Customers may also comment that the bump feel or clunk is noticed after the vehicle has come to a complete stop and that it feels as if the vehicle was bumped from behind.

Cause:

This condition may be caused by a slip/stick condition between the rear propshaft slip yoke and the transfer case rear output shaft splines. Braking to a complete stop can force the propshaft slip yoke forward into the transfer case while the vehicle rebounds slightly backward after stopping its momentum.

Correction:

Note: The clunk noise may also be due to fuel movement in the fuel tank when not completely full. If the condition is eliminated after filling the fuel tank, the noise is isolated to the fuel movement in the tank. Please make no repair attempts, as this noise is considered an operating characteristic.

Verify the customer's concern.

Clean/Lubricate Rear PropShaft Slip Yoke Splines

Remove the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.

Inspect the rear propshaft slip yoke splines.

Note: Protect the transfer case rear seal from Brake Clean.

Clean the rear propshaft slip yoke splines with Brake Clean or equivalent and a shop towel.

Assure that the splines are free of rust or other foreign material.

Lubricate the spline with Automatic Transmission Fluid, P/N 88861003 (in Canada, 88861004).

Reinstall the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.

Road test the vehicle and verify that the noise is gone.

If the vehicle has a repeat concern after lubricating the slip yoke splines, replace the rear output shaft.

Replace Transfer Case Rear Output Shaft

Note: Do Not replace the output shaft unless the cleaning and lubrication procedure is ineffective.

Remove the transfer case assembly. Refer to Transfer Case Assembly Replacement in SI.

Disassemble the transfer case. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble in SI.

Replace the transfer case rear output shaft. Refer to the Parts Information below.

Assemble the transfer case.

Reinstall the transfer case assembly.

Parts Information:

Part Number - 19133059

Description - SHAFT, TRFER CASE (RPO NQH)

Qty - 1

Part Number - 19133061

Description - SHAFT, TRFER CASE (RPO NQG)

Qty - 1

Part Number - 88861003 (in Canada, 88861004)

Description - Automatic Transmission Fluid

Qty - 1

Thanks Rich. Hopefully I can get this taken care of quick. On the Window TSB, it says to apply lubrictant to the rails. On my windows, it sounds like it is coming from the felt that rubs along the window while it is rolling down and not the tracks or rails. If it is the felt, will the replace that or is there something they put on that? It seems that if they put a lubricant on that, it will just streak the windows pretty bad.

Thanks Rich. Hopefully I can get this taken care of quick. On the Window TSB, it says to apply lubrictant to the rails. On my windows, it sounds like it is coming from the felt that rubs along the window while it is rolling down and not the tracks or rails. If it is the felt, will the replace that or is there something they put on that? It seems that if they put a lubricant on that, it will just streak the windows pretty bad.

If it is the felt (Sealing Strip) they will probably just replace it.

Thanks. If they won't replace the sealing strip, do you have part numbers for all the doors and windows so I can replace it myself?

Front door outer-LH 15943274

Front door outer-RH 15943273

Front door inner-LH & RH 25865730 (Same for both sides)

Rear door outer-LH 15938035

Rear door outer-RH 15938034

Rear door inner-LH & RH 25865731 (Same for both sides)

The rear part numbers listed are for a crew-cab.

#09-04-21-003B: Clunk Noise at Stop or From Launch (Clean/Lubricate Rear Propshaft Slip Yoke Splines) - (Aug 11, 2009)

Subject: Clunk Noise at Stop or from Launch (Clean/Lubricate Rear Propshaft Slip Yoke Splines)

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series

2008-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe 1500 Series

2007-2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Series

2008-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 1500 Series

Equipped with 4WD (RPO NQG, NQH)

Attention: This bulletin contains a procedure to clean/lubricate the rear propshaft slip yoke splines and replace, if necessary. Check the history on this vehicle. If the lubrication procedure has been performed previously, then continue on and replace the transfer case rear output shaft.

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a bump feel or clunk noise at a stop or on launch. Customers may also comment that the bump feel or clunk is noticed after the vehicle has come to a complete stop and that it feels as if the vehicle was bumped from behind.

Cause:

This condition may be caused by a slip/stick condition between the rear propshaft slip yoke and the transfer case rear output shaft splines. Braking to a complete stop can force the propshaft slip yoke forward into the transfer case while the vehicle rebounds slightly backward after stopping its momentum.

Correction:

Note: The clunk noise may also be due to fuel movement in the fuel tank when not completely full. If the condition is eliminated after filling the fuel tank, the noise is isolated to the fuel movement in the tank. Please make no repair attempts, as this noise is considered an operating characteristic.

Verify the customer's concern.

Clean/Lubricate Rear PropShaft Slip Yoke Splines

Remove the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.

Inspect the rear propshaft slip yoke splines.

Note: Protect the transfer case rear seal from Brake Clean.

Clean the rear propshaft slip yoke splines with Brake Clean or equivalent and a shop towel.

Assure that the splines are free of rust or other foreign material.

Lubricate the spline with Automatic Transmission Fluid, P/N 88861003 (in Canada, 88861004).

Reinstall the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.

Road test the vehicle and verify that the noise is gone.

If the vehicle has a repeat concern after lubricating the slip yoke splines, replace the rear output shaft.

Replace Transfer Case Rear Output Shaft

Note: Do Not replace the output shaft unless the cleaning and lubrication procedure is ineffective.

Remove the transfer case assembly. Refer to Transfer Case Assembly Replacement in SI.

Disassemble the transfer case. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble in SI.

Replace the transfer case rear output shaft. Refer to the Parts Information below.

Assemble the transfer case.

Reinstall the transfer case assembly.

Parts Information:

Part Number - 19133059

Description - SHAFT, TRFER CASE (RPO NQH)

Qty - 1

Part Number - 19133061

Description - SHAFT, TRFER CASE (RPO NQG)

Qty - 1

Part Number - 88861003 (in Canada, 88861004)

Description - Automatic Transmission Fluid

Qty - 1

Thanks for the technical bulletin. I was looking at the least of affected vehicles. Am i to assume that these are only 4WD's? I have had the same problem with my 07' GMC Sierra and they lubricated the splines. Nissan had the same problem with their Pathfinders and they ended up doing a major recall on the vehicle replacing the 2wd trannys with 4wd trannys..(minus the transfer case).

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have time right now to get out to the dealer to have them take a look at the window issue. Is there any type of lube/grease that I can put on the seal stripping/felt to stop the squeaking? Maybe some dry silicone spray?

Archived