Want to replace OE 8" woofer in '01 Suburban

I just replaced my '99 K2500 454 Suburban with an '01 K2500 8.1 Suburban. My old truck had an amplified 10" bazooka for bass and it was ferfect for my tastes. This new truck has a 8" woofer built in from the factory. I'd like to replace it with an aftermarket 10" if possible or a really good 8" so I don't have to have the bazooka taking up space as in the last truck. I know the bass response will not be what it was with the RS 10" bazooka, but how close can I get? I plan on replacing the door speakers with new seperates and buying a Punch 600.5 to run all seperates and woofer. New head unit of course. Any suggestions on what to do about the woofer?

THANKS!

Byron

'01 K2500 Suburban 8.1

do you want SQ or looking for as much SPL from a small sub as possible? do you know the air space of where the oem sub is mounted? might possibly be free air, never looked into stock stuff much since its all weak.

I want good SQ but mostly max SPL from such a small speaker. I don't know if it is free air or not as I've only had the Sub a week and haven;t removed the woofer. I know the stock stereo in this '01 is alot better than the stock '99 stereo was, but is still quite lame with no noticable bass even with a factory 8" woofer. I was hoping someone would have already upgraded their '00+ Suburban or Yukon XL and be able to give me some advice.

Thanks,

Byron

i dont know if infinity makes their perfects in an 8, but they are known to be a good mix of SQ and SPL.  you should probably check and see how the sub is mounted, if its enclosed or a free air setup.  you wont be able to get a whole lot of SPL from an 8, there just isnt enough surface area to move the air.

Archived