E85 Mpg

• 4 weeks later...

'06 Silverado 5.3 flex fuel 4x4 ext cab 3.23 gear

17-18 E10 87 octane

13-15 E85

I havent run E85 for over a year, the prices went up and it didnt make sense, in my area theres only a 20-40 cent difference. I had a chart worked out so I could check when to change over, havent updated it for sub $3 fuel

I prefer the way the truck runs on E85, I need to buy another tank

'07 Sierra SCLB 2wd 5.3 (reg gas, getting 16-17 mpg)

first tank 13.9mpg

second tank 12.2mpg

(i was afraid to see what a third tankful would bring!)

How about everyone else?

Almost the exact same results I got plus or minus a few tenths. I have a 2009 ECSB 5.3

Crazy huh?

E85 is known foe delivering about 25% less fuel economy. Too bad it doesn't COST 25% less.

This dealer let me test drive an '07 Sierra 4x4 5.3 E85 for an entire day. The fuel gauge was past enpty so I put 15 gallons of regular unleaded 87 octane in the tank. E85 is not readily available in my area. I reset the onboard mileage computer and drove the truck 167 miles that day. 153 of that 167 driven miles was Interstate driving at 70mph. The remainder was small city driving. When I returned the truck that evening, the computer registered an average of 12.3mpg. I didn't buy the truck. :crazy:

Something isn't adding up there. I have a 5.3L E85 SCLB and at 70 mph on I-57 I pulled down 19mpg with regular gas. The only time I ever got 12mpg was when running my second tank of E85, the first tank I got 14 mpg out of. when switching form regular gas, to e-85, and vice-versa.... I think I read on here you want to have less than 15% of the previous fuel left in the tank. I don't think you gave that truck a fair chance. jm2c

• 1 month later...
'06 Silverado 5.3 flex fuel 4x4 ext cab 3.23 gear

17-18 E10 87 octane

13-15 E85

I havent run E85 for over a year, the prices went up and it didnt make sense, in my area theres only a 20-40 cent difference. I had a chart worked out so I could check when to change over, havent updated it for sub $3 fuel

I prefer the way the truck runs on E85, I need to buy another tank

There was no 2006 4X4 Silverado with 3.23 gears. 3.42 ratio was standard, 3.73 and 4.10 optional.

E85 is known foe delivering about 25% less fuel economy. Too bad it doesn't COST 25% less.

Here are some true economy numbers from Air Force vehicles running on E 85 exclusively:

2009 Pontiac G6 sedan: 19.5 MPG average

2006 Ford Explorer 4X4" 12.9 MPG average

2007 Chevrolet Impala: 20 MPG highway when cruising at 70 MPH

• 1 month later...

Not supposed to run E85 with my JBA ceramic-coated headers for whatever reason (like I care anyway, lol). Flex-Fuel is just another marketing gimmick like AFM.
Yup. Definitely not worth it at the moment.

Maybe not a big cost/benefit ratio, but how much is it worth to burn fuel that is produced here in the US, instead of sending those dollars overseas, especially to some countries that are not very friendly to the US? Truck runs great on it, lots of power, and I imagine, spark advance- what is it rated, about 107 octane? It's around 40 cents a gallon cheaper right now, and I am glad to spend my fuel money on a product that is supporting US jobs- and preserving finite supplies of fossil fuel-

Politics and emotions aside, I need about 40 cents to break even on my truck. :D

My truck will get about 11 E85 in town and maybe 14 with Regular Gas. The highway is more like 14 / 17.

Her Impala is slightly more noticeable difference. More like 5 - 6mpg difference.

I haven't put E85 in for 4 or 5 months now. The cost difference really hasn't been worth it. But back when teh gas prices were >3.25, I could save over $1 / gal. :confused:

Archived