Most Idiotic Plowing Ever Seen?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember hearing that old folk tale when I was 17. Me and my friends always used to go through the leaf piles on the road, making a mess off the piles. Then one day i read in the paper how some kids got killed because they were under some leaf piles on the road playing and someone went driving through the leaf piles. The towns I use to service where we placed leafs on the road, we made some huge ass piles in front of the clients homes from all the leafs. My biggest pile was like 55 ft long and 3-4 ft tall on average. And the local teens would love driving through that pile. They also made me money when I got the call backs to clean up the mess, so it always was a win win situation for me.

Just like when the city plow trucks decide to replow the roads after I plowed my customers driveways and lots out. I charge them a minium of $45 and up to reopen entrances. The 03 Presidents Day Blizzard, now that was a money maker! City plow trucks literally made 10' barriers of snow in front of all the entrances. I made close to $18,000.00 off that storm alone after doing every account. Would love to top that again..

• 2 weeks later...

Just remebered an idiotic experience I saw 4 years back. There was this guy who had a small landscaping and plowing business and he kept his plow on all year round, even in summer. He hauled his enclosed trailer while having the plow attached to the front of his dodge pick up. I can only imagine how messed up his truck was for not taking his plow off. He wasn't too bright of a person either, cause one of my laborers talked to him once when he was mowing a lawn a few houses up from my accounts and asked the guy why he had a plow on July. He told my foreman, that by having a plow on, it helps advetise his services instead of having lettering put on his truck. Well if he were to get pulled over by the police, he would be slapped a ticket and fine for using a residential truck for commericial purposes.

Has to be one of the silliest things I ever came across. Simple lettering for his truck would cost no more then $200 or getting some magnetic signs made. I always wondered to date if that truck he was using is still running. It was really beat up looking then.

Stupidest I have seen are the city plows.

Truck plows the snow on the sidewalk, small tractor clears the sidewalk and plows it back on the road.

Other one, plow truck driving in 6 inches of snow with blade up because it's not on his route. That's almost as bad as painting lines over road kills.

last winter we had a couple big storms up north, i got sent out to work on some pole lights with the bucket truck in a wal-mart parking lot and it was a couple weeks b4 christmas so they were busy, i always make sure i have the yellow lights on especially when im working alone. im up in the air round 40 ft working on a pole light and i look down and theres a guy plowing the parking lot with one of those big front loaders, hes backing up and getting really closer and closer to me, so i start yelling, he keeps on backing up, then finally i didnt think he was gonna stop so i threw my linesman pliers towards the loader and luckily managed to somehow hit the back bumper and he stopped, so i boomed down to the ground to make sure i didnt damage the loader, the guy asks if he hit the truck, and i told him no i threw my linesman pliers at him and it hit the bumper, then he says o good thing you did cuz i didnt even see you! ever since that happened i told my boss about it and requested to have another guy with me when we do jobs like that to watch for that kind of stuff because i could have been killed if he hit me and the truck tipped over from that high up!

last winter we had a couple big storms up north, i got sent out to work on some pole lights with the bucket truck in a wal-mart parking lot and it was a couple weeks b4 christmas so they were busy, i always make sure i have the yellow lights on especially when im working alone. im up in the air round 40 ft working on a pole light and i look down and theres a guy plowing the parking lot with one of those big front loaders, hes backing up and getting really closer and closer to me, so i start yelling, he keeps on backing up, then finally i didnt think he was gonna stop so i threw my linesman pliers towards the loader and luckily managed to somehow hit the back bumper and he stopped, so i boomed down to the ground to make sure i didnt damage the loader, the guy asks if he hit the truck, and i told him no i threw my linesman pliers at him and it hit the bumper, then he says o good thing you did cuz i didnt even see you! ever since that happened i told my boss about it and requested to have another guy with me when we do jobs like that to watch for that kind of stuff because i could have been killed if he hit me and the truck tipped over from that high up!

A flare gun would have helped too

I hate when you have the not so bright people try to speed fast behind you while backing up, thinking they will get out of the lot alot faster. You would think with all my strobe lights going off, people would exercise caution. One time I had this lady allow her kids to climb on a snow pile I stacked on the lot..I was plowing the lot and the lady allowed her kids to play on the pile. When I had to stop and explain to her what likely could happen to her kids if they came into compact with the plow, she then realized the potential hazard and got her kids.

It'a good to have strobes or better yet LED's, cause it will bother the eyes as you get closer to an object from the light reflecting. Especially when drivers fatigue sets in from plowing all night. Obviously you were parked there working, and the operator should have been more aware of his soroundings. Had he had some sort of strobe or LED mounted behind his loader, the light would have reflected off your work vehicle as he got closer and caught his attention. That is if he had rear view mirrors on his loader, and/or was looking behind him when backing up. Alot of guys don't opt to install warning lights on their loaders which is stupid, because accidents can happen and warning lights even though they are not required by law in some states could make a difference in an outcome of a potential lawsuit. Used to be too simple to commit fraud against a snow plower back in the 80's and 90's, and not having any warning lights only complicated matters worse when time came for civil court. I heard of a couple of contractors that fell victim to fraudulant lawsuits and neither of them had any type of warning lights equipped on their trucks.

I would like to update my hidden strobes to LED's, but am not totally sure if they are a simple plug and play compatable to my strobe system. I seen current strobe systems and LED systems and it appears they use the same module. If thats the case, it would be easy to swap out strobes for LED's.

• 2 weeks later...
Easy solution to protect your mailbox is place boulders on each side of it.

Or possibly set up a decoy mailbox. Hmm... :rolleyes:

That's what we do when we rake leaves into the street in the fall. Our town has curbside pickup on a certain day of the week and kids looove to go around the day before in their cars and drive through the piles. That stopped pretty fast when my neighbors started throwing cinder blocks in the piles of leaves. Lol

Reminds me when there used to be some kids going around in our neighborhood smashing mail boxes with a baseball bat... so one of the guys decided to weld his mailbox out of 3/4" steel... few weeks later i heard the kid with the bat broke his wrist when he took on that mailbox :dunno:

I watched a neighbor use his plow truck like he thought it was a bulldozer, he was trying to grade another neighbors side hill. Every time he slammed into the hill the back tires came off the ground at a least a foot.

I just wish I had a video recorder back then, funniest thing I've ever seen, him bouncing around in the cab. :D

new tale, after the the recent blizzard here i witnessed a new moron out plowing, it was a ford 250 powerjoke the guy was trying to push what he thought was a pile of snow which it was really snow ontop of a curb, i watched him sit there for 5 minutes ramming the curbing smoking all 4 tires over and over...half the lot was a cloud of diesel..god pathetic

new tale, after the the recent blizzard here i witnessed a new moron out plowing, it was a ford 250 powerjoke the guy was trying to push what he thought was a pile of snow which it was really snow ontop of a curb, i watched him sit there for 5 minutes ramming the curbing smoking all 4 tires over and over...half the lot was a cloud of diesel..god pathetic

You would think that the tires smoking would be a dead give away, to back up and get some momentum going before pushing the pile back. I maybe allow 3-5 secs after the wheels start spinning, before I stop and back up and try pushing the pile back further.

• 8 months later...

I used to work at a dealership and every time it snowed they had a brand new 2500HD that they would plow the lot with. One year it was a relatively light snow and the sales manager was plowing and hauling a** the entire time. It was a joint dealership with Toyota and the sales manager whipped around a corner and lost it, sliding the plow into a brand new Camry, which slid into another Camry, and one more after that :) . Needless to say he slowed down after that :dunno:

I used to work at a dealership and every time it snowed they had a brand new 2500HD that they would plow the lot with. One year it was a relatively light snow and the sales manager was plowing and hauling a** the entire time. It was a joint dealership with Toyota and the sales manager whipped around a corner and lost it, sliding the plow into a brand new Camry, which slid into another Camry, and one more after that :lol: . Needless to say he slowed down after that :dunno:

I would commend that salesmen for plowing into jap crap and having 3 less POS toyotas on the road! When it comes to camarys they are the #1 culprit of preventing me to excelerate onto a highway, or even drive on a single lane road.

I don't plow but I have a story anyways.

A few years back I was stuck on a four lane road (with center turn lane) in traffic during a snow storm. Traffic going my way was all backed up but there was not traffic going the opposite way. So I see this F-150 coming up the center turn lane relatively fast and he starts to turn down a side road. Well, he really didn't make the turn and slide straight on into a three foot in diameter piller of a huge billboard and he must have been going 20+ mph.

He hits the piller and bounces up a foot or two and back five or more feet, sits there, backs up, and off he goes down the side street.

He's lucky he had a plow on the front of his truck otherwise it would have been totaled but he came out with no damage.

This law actually extends to all DOT trucks, whether they are snow plowing or not. When I spoke to some DOT official, because one of their drivers damaged one of my trucks at a dump site when I was unloading material, he told me about this law because NJ was getting to many lawsuits. I told him that maybe if they hired safer, more responsible drivers, that maybe, just maybe, there wouldn't be claims against their drivers. I remember times after cleaning up a certain commericial account of mine, one of the managers of the stores calling me up telling me that they got threatened a sitation if the snow is not cleared off the sidewalks. I asked him what sidewalks was he talking about, cause I just finsihed plowing and treating the ice there no more then 4 hours ago and he said the front. So I go back there and see that the stupid DOT snow plow operators literally pushed the snow from the edge of the road all on my cleared sidewalks I did hours before. And the inspector who goes around and answers calls that have sidewalks covered with snow tells one of the store managers if it is not cleaned up in 12 hrs, they will get a fine. If this guy had any common sense and bothered to look at the rest of the sidewalks, he would of seen that they were all cleared and treated, and that the DOT was responsible for this. Perhaps the idiot that plowed the snow onto the clean sidewalks, was in bed with this inspector so that he is able to meet his quota with sitations, who knows.

Wow I would move the hell out of that state!

Archived