Abs Kicks In When Almost At Complete Stop

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2009 at 5:52 PM, famouslee99gt said:

I pulled the sensor on the passenger side and cleaned it up, came out ok, and wasn't all that dirty. It had 3 shims on it, in which i left all 3 on, but cleaned them all up. Before I even left the driveway, abs kicked in again. I pulled the fuse until I can get it to the dealer because I have had many close calls and it's getting annoying. Last night when I came home from work, just perfect, no issues....Today, I drove 1 mile over to my grandparents and it did it about 2 or 3 times that I had to slow down to stop.

Did you ever get any solution on this abs problem? I'm having it with my 2004 GMC.thanks in advance!

I have had this problem on both my GMT400 vehicles and both times it was the wheel bearings.  The first time I went through all the same stuff looking at TSBs, cleaning the wheel speed sensor mounting surfaces, checking voltage, etc.  Then I saw a post from a senior GM tech on this forum telling everyone to stop wasting time and check their wheel bearings.  Pull the hub, grab the bearing and see if it's sloppy.  Sure enough.  The second time I went straight to the hubs and found the same thing.  Any solution to this problem should include an inspection of the wheel bearings, especially for those of us on the west coast where corrosion isn't such an issue.

Edited by bronyaur

Thank you Matt for taking the time to respond with valueable information to save me money and time to solve my truck issue! I will pass this on to my mechanic.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2009 at 5:52 PM, famouslee99gt said:

I pulled the sensor on the passenger side and cleaned it up, came out ok, and wasn't all that dirty. It had 3 shims on it, in which i left all 3 on, but cleaned them all up. Before I even left the driveway, abs kicked in again. I pulled the fuse until I can get it to the dealer because I have had many close calls and it's getting annoying. Last night when I came home from work, just perfect, no issues....Today, I drove 1 mile over to my grandparents and it did it about 2 or 3 times that I had to slow down to stop.

My 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 had the ABS issue stated in other post on this subject where the abs motor started kicking in (when slowing down and hitting the 10 mph to stopping) shortly after I had abs light coming on randomly.  First thing done was followed the code reading and changed the driver side sensor wire and that didn't solve the problem. Second step was checked for bad wheel bearings, all bearings seemed in good condition. Third move was run computer code 0269 to think all wheel sensors needed cleaning and the surrounding areas. So I got online and ordered another front wheel sensor so mechanic could changed front passenger side in the process of cleaning the hub (and he did find a Knick in the sensor wire that could have been a problem). First one I bought at Oreilly's for $60 versus the one I bought online at AM-Autoparts.com for $15. He cleaned each wheel hub sensor and reluctor rings and this solved my problem. Hope my post helps someone who encounters this issue.

• 1 year later...
On 11/23/2009 at 5:52 PM, famouslee99gt said:

by pulling the fuse,  it did not solve the issue?

• 2 years later...

I'm going crazy over this same issue and after reading every single comment I can't seem to find a resolution. I have an 01 Silverado 1500 4x4 and about a month ago I changed the fuel pump.(lifted the bed instead of dropping the tank) well after putting it all back together I started getting the ABS activating at low speeds. Thought my rear caliper was seizing up like I've had my others do so I replaced the caliper. Continued to activate the ABS. I had 2 mechanics tell me it was the ABS module so i replaced it along with the ABS pump. Still having issues. Both of my front sensors have been replaced and the system has been flushed and bled. However I have not had it bled through one of the scan tools that does it for you. So my question is could there still be air in the lines causing it, or could it be still a bad sensor or hub/bearing assembling? My ABS and Brake light sporadically come on and have for about 2 years but with no problems to my braking. I just need a solution because its getting costly and time consuming playing trial and error. Also, my DRL and brake lights have starting flashing periodically since i changed my fuel pump to making me believe a ground is loose somewhere but I don't know where.

Those mechanics should have watched the wheel speed sensors on a scan tool to see what each is reporting. The rear of that truck doesn't have ABS sensor so it would only be the front.

Just about everytime I've seen this happen it's from one wheel dropping down to 0mph before the other one has. The other wheel will still show 5mph while the other drops to 0mph and trips the ABS.

Replacing just the sensor only fixes a sensor problem but if the problem is with the metal tone ring in the wheel bearing itself, you must replace the bearing to fix the problem.