Stuck Lifter On 5.3

ArmyAviator

Question

2000 GMC 1500 w/ 210K miles; Mobile 1 most of it's life; at least for the past 100K.

Ticking sound, like a stuck lifter, remains constantly. It used to come on at first crank then go away; it doesn't go away now. I've tried a few additives from Lucas and SeaFoam; to no avail.

Is this constant stuck lifter (assuming it is) damaging? Suggestions for remedy?

What fixes this?

Thank you all.

---Bryant

0 answers to this question

You may not want to hear this...but its got 210K on it, lifters don't last forever.

You have to remove the intake, rocker covers, the push rods and than take out the old lifters and pop in new ones. Probably under 400 bucks if you can do it all yourself.

Is it going to hurt anything...probably not....if your driving with your foot to the floor all the time maybe.

Is it ideal...no....but you'll probably get years out of it yet with it just like it is.

Actually, you need to remove the cylinder heads to replace lifters on a 5.3L. Another thing, the rocker arms have needle bearings that tend to fall out. This can cause noise and misfires.

The heads do need to come off but it's a pretty easy head to tackle. I have yet to see needle bearings on these rockers come out. It was an issue on the 3.8 and 3.4 of the late 90's and early 2000's but I have not seen one missing on a 5.3 yet. How many have you seen come apart?

I've seen quite a few, mostly 99-00 4.8's and 5.3's.

There is a TSB out for it also.

These heads are very easy to pull indeed, one of the easiest V8 engines to work on.

Crap he said 2000, I was thinking this was a newer one. I didn't work on many trucks back then almost straight Pontiac work till 2005. My bad you are right.

As affordable as late model 5.3s are in boneyards with rather low mileage, I think this would be a MUCH better solution than spending big money on a 210K engine. No matter how much we like them, they don't last forever.

True that. We seldom see any with over 250k roll through the shop. I know the 6.0L's go easily over 300k, not sure on the smaller versions.

6.0 - 4.8 - 5.3 are all the same basic design. Many 5.3s are going well over 300K. I'd assume the 6.0 and 4.8 should do the same.

yup...thats the key...take your time...

Haynes manuals are the easiest to read and understand...Chilton's are more comprehensive...but are written more for guys with a background in mechanics.

Make sure its a sticky lifter first...it could be just injector tick...have a good mechanic listen to it...also try tossing some seafoam in the fuel...see if that helps...that will tell you if its an injector.

Nytemare, thank you for your substantial reply.

While I can fly the hair off of a $10 million BlackHawk, I've never tackled something like that; but I'd really like to.

I'll check out some of the available repair manuals and see if they bestow confidence. :uhoh:

I have a small farm and can repair things and am reasonably mechanically inclined.

Whadda ya think? When I do repair it, should I trust the manuals and my confidence?

Archived