1st Time Diesel Owner Questions

I recently purchased a 2008 Silverado 2500HD with a Duramax that I will be using mostly to tow my toy hauler. This is the first Diesel I have ever owned and I have a few questions. I have ran Mobile 1 in everything I have owned from drag cars to lawn mowers to gasser pick ups, and even my Harley. Is it ok to run Mobile 1 in a diesel? What kind and how often should I run a fuel injector cleaner through the new truck? I hate the tail pipe on these trucks, but I'm not sure if it would be a good ideal to replace or cut it off. Lastly would some kind of cold air intake system be advisible for this truck? Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.

Congrats on the new truck! You'll enjoy that Duramax :lol:

Can't see why using Mobil 1 will cause any issues, as long as of-course it's the correct weight.

Don't touch that exhaust.....it's designed that way for a reason. (my opinion anyways)

exhaust is part of regen system for EPA 07 ,leave it alone

OK now I know to leave the exhaust be. What about a cold air package? I've been reading about a product called Stanadyne. Should I be adding this to my fuel system on fillups?. I've always used Wix filters are these exceptable for Diesel engines? Sorry to be such a pain, but I'm trying to figure out how to take the best care I can of the new gal.

You can use Mobile 1 oil if you would like. You will need to make sure it is there 5-40 diesel oil with the CJ-4 rating. Any oil you use in your truck needs to carry the CJ-4 rating. Keep in mind that an oil change is 10 quarts, so it's gonna cost a pretty penny to use synthetics if you are going to stick with factory drain interverals. IMO you are better off sticking with a good dino oil. I am using Shell Rotella.

Wix filters are good, you will also be needing filters for fuel and transmission. You will go through a fuel filter about every 2 oil changes or 15 to 20k miles. The transmission filter is recommended at the first oil change then 50k I believe. But I like to change it at the same time as the oil filter. Just don't buy them at your dealer, you can buy them at the Allison dealer or online for about 12 bucks. The GM dealers want 45 for the same filter.

Banks makes a great cold air kit, but honestly the factory system flows a bunch of air and general consensus is there isn't much gained until you are adding a HP in the 450+ range. Also Banks makes a great looking exaust but it's not going to gain you anything other than looks.

Stanadyne comes highly recommended by a few trusted ASE Master III Mechanic friends who work solely on Diesels. I'll be running it soon in my truck. I think every gas tank is a bit excessive. Maybe every other or every 3 fill-ups. If you have a NAPA shop near you, just stop by there to get your filters (Fuel, Oil, & Tranny) You'll pay considerably less than what you would pay at the dealership and the products will be just as good if not a better quality.

Thanks a ton for the reply's. They have really been a big help. Looks like I'll stick with the factory airbox and exhaust. There is a NAPA close by and I believe their filters are wix in NAPA wrapping. I was reading the owners manual for the Dmax and it states to use 15W40 for temps above 0. I did pick up that the oil had to have the CJ-4 stamp on the oil from the manual also.

So...I'll be using NAPA/Wix filters and changing the trans filter when I change the oil and the fuel fiter every 15 to 20K and adding Stanadyne every two to three tanks. I must say I really like my new rig. I thought my old 6.0 ran good till I drove this beast. I can't wait to hook her to the toy hauler on July 2nd for our trip down to KY. I know I won't be disappointed...Thanks again everyone for the help.

I had those same thoughts when I went from a 5.3L up to the Duramax. It may cost a bit more, but the power and performance is worth it! You can run circles around the 6.0 boys all day long as they try to catch up to you :lol::lol::D

Thanks a ton for the reply's. They have really been a big help. Looks like I'll stick with the factory airbox and exhaust. There is a NAPA close by and I believe their filters are wix in NAPA wrapping. I was reading the owners manual for the Dmax and it states to use 15W40 for temps above 0. I did pick up that the oil had to have the CJ-4 stamp on the oil from the manual also.

So...I'll be using NAPA/Wix filters and changing the trans filter when I change the oil and the fuel fiter every 15 to 20K and adding Stanadyne every two to three tanks. I must say I really like my new rig. I thought my old 6.0 ran good till I drove this beast. I can't wait to hook her to the toy hauler on July 2nd for our trip down to KY. I know I won't be disappointed...Thanks again everyone for the help.

• 1 year later...
You can use Mobile 1 oil if you would like. You will need to make sure it is there 5-40 diesel oil with the CJ-4 rating. Any oil you use in your truck needs to carry the CJ-4 rating. Keep in mind that an oil change is 10 quarts, so it's gonna cost a pretty penny to use synthetics if you are going to stick with factory drain interverals. IMO you are better off sticking with a good dino oil. I am using Shell Rotella.

Wix filters are good, you will also be needing filters for fuel and transmission. You will go through a fuel filter about every 2 oil changes or 15 to 20k miles. The transmission filter is recommended at the first oil change then 50k I believe. But I like to change it at the same time as the oil filter. Just don't buy them at your dealer, you can buy them at the Allison dealer or online for about 12 bucks. The GM dealers want 45 for the same filter.

Banks makes a great cold air kit, but honestly the factory system flows a bunch of air and general consensus is there isn't much gained until you are adding a HP in the 450+ range. Also Banks makes a great looking exaust but it's not going to gain you anything other than looks.

Diesail,

As far as the transmission filter goes, is it a normal type filter in the sense you have to drain the pan to change it? I am new too, actually should be picking (really the wife is) my new 2011 HD3500 SLT Duallie with the Dmax Thursday or Friday of this week. I am excited to own a 3500 with the DMAX, everything I read is so positive. Anybody having any specific forums just for the duramax engines?

And yes, it is BLACK with all the goodies except for the sunroof which I hope I dont regret not getting.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Diesail,

As far as the transmission filter goes, is it a normal type filter in the sense you have to drain the pan to change it? I am new too, actually should be picking (really the wife is) my new 2011 HD3500 SLT Duallie with the Dmax Thursday or Friday of this week. I am excited to own a 3500 with the DMAX, everything I read is so positive. Anybody having any specific forums just for the duramax engines?

And yes, it is BLACK with all the goodies except for the sunroof which I hope I dont regret not getting.

I typically have always changed my trans filters every 25K or so. It's like when to change your oil, everyone has an opinion.

It's just a spin on filter on the bottom. Diesel is right, don't buy any filter at the dealer. It's a rip off. Do some google searchs and you'll come up with some decent prices.

Fuel Filter # TP-3012

Oil Filter # PF-2232

Trans Filter # 29539579

http://www.thetruckstop.us is also a good resource for the Duramax.

Archived