Electronic Rust Inhibitor/protection

Has anyone had any success or stories about the Electronic Rust Inhibitor/Protection that GM parts offers, or any brands? Looking at pro and cons to the traditional undercoating/oiling my 2008 Sierra.

I did a bunch of reading on the internet when I first got my truck. I've always heard they were junk. Everything I found pointed to the same. The principle works in theory on boats, but a sacrificial anode (something that the corrosion attacks versus the metal, and requires replacing) is required.

I am, and always have been a fan of oil undercoating. The cons are it is messy, and it can seep out the seams of your truck, collect dust, looks nasty. I just by the really cheap 8 pack of microfiber clothes and keep a couple of them dedicated for removing oil residue.

Food for thought though, if you're not going to keep this truck for longer than 5 years than you most likely never see any benefits of rust prevention methods. It'll be 8-10 years when the body/undercarriage/fuel brake lines will show the signs of salt wear.

My truck was Krown'd when it was brand new, as I may keep it for a long enough time that I'll be thanking myself later.

• 3 years later...

My truck was Krown'd when it was brand new, as I may keep it for a long enough time that I'll be thanking myself later.

What's the difference between Krown and other anti-rust protection? I'm trying to decide who to go with... does anyone in this forum have any suggestions as to which company is the best?

Krown or Rust Check are pretty much the same , Mine gets done at Rust Check . Both of these are thin and get into all the seams where the rust starts and they are only as good as the guy applying it though . The heavier bodied undercoating can't get to the places Krown or Rust Check can . No Rust on mine yet and its a 2009 and from roughly the same area as you live . I think Rust Check has some videos on there web site ,

http://www.rustcheck.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127&Itemid=137

been using Rust Check for 20+ years... the only thing that does happen is after years and years some of the door seals may swell

Don't waste your time on the electronic rust protection. It doesn't work in open air. For the sacrificial anode theory to work, the entire truck would have to be under water. Electrolysis doesn't work in free air.

(I'm a EE, so electricity is something I know a thing or two about)

Krown and Rustcheck are no where near the same.

There is different types... Undercoating, oil spray, waxes and concoctions...

In my experience, rustcheck and the available products they have are #1...

Amsoil also makes a product that lasts a very long time...

I opted for the Fluid Film last November. Did it in the driveway w/ truck on ramps.

MESSY job. Good news is it's non-toxic / bio friendly.

Had a BAD winter here, so I did not expect much after under carriage being constantly barraged / powerwashed with salt and slush.

To my surprise, after crawling around under it recently, most of underbody / frame is still protected. I am quite impressed.

If I've time someday, I'll post pic.s.

My brother bought a Neon years ago that had one of the electronic rust inhibitors installed on it. The wires leading to it corroded. That's how well those things work.

• 3 months later...

I found this list of recommended methods and products for rust protection compiled by the Automobile Protection Agency on Krown's blog post on electronic rust protection (http://www.krown.com/blog/2014/06/electronic-rust-protection/) that gives a few reasonable recommendations for rust protection:
http://www.apa.ca/services_rustproofing.asp

They also list some trusted rustproofers from Canada. I think that this is good to get done on your vehicle from what I have read about it. It helps protect the body and frame of the vehicle.

Has anyone had any success or stories about the Electronic Rust Inhibitor/Protection that GM parts offers, or any brands? Looking at pro and cons to the traditional undercoating/oiling my 2008 Sierra.

Are you talking those corny black boxes that are wired up and flash? Not GM thats for sure, all of that stuff is what the F&I guy upsells ya.

Archived