How Much Can A 2500hd 6.0 Pull?

brisk

Truck in Sig. I believe the towing capacity is ~10,000lbs (correct me if i'm wrong, I don't have an owners manual). However...engine and tranny aside...this is the same truck that guys are pulling 15k+ in with a Dmax. I know it would be slow (especially here in the Colorado Rockies) but what do you guys pull or think that the truck could pull? Just curious. Not looking to start HotShotting with it or anything.

Thanks!!

Mine with the 3.73's is rated for 9,900lbs. It pulls my 8,500 lb fifth wheel ok but it definetly works the engine hard (RPMS) I'm sure 4.10's would make it better. But personally I would not want to tow anymore weight than I do now with it. If I towed my trailer more I would get a used diesel or a V-10.

You have to remember, that you are running a 4L80E and not an Allison as well. While the truck frame may be able to handle the load, the transmission isnt designed for tat much. Thats not to say it wont do it for a while, but your just asking for stuff to fail if you overload components like that. Just remember, the factory weight ratings are not the ABSOLUTE max a truck can tow, they are just what they can haul SAFELY. Personally, Ide always like to have more truck than I need. JMHO

I am not looking to necessarily do this with my Truck (especially in the Rockies). I am just wondering. Weren't the early 8.1 Suburbans packing a 4L80E (not 85)? They had a towing Capacity IIRC of 12k. I know if a couple of guys that pull 12-15k with 6.0s in the flatlands. Anyone else done that?

I am not looking to necessarily do this with my Truck (especially in the Rockies). I am just wondering. Weren't the early 8.1 Suburbans packing a 4L80E (not 85)? They had a towing Capacity IIRC of 12k. I know if a couple of guys that pull 12-15k with 6.0s in the flatlands. Anyone else done that?

Im sure there are, but there are also guys that tow 10K with midsize trucks. Ive seen it. Scary stuff.

I know its not a 6.0, but we have a 1980 1-ton flat bed dump with a 350 and turbo 400 in it. Back when I was young and even more un-wise, it was crunch time during cherry harvest; there were 16 bins left to haul to the packing warehouse at the end of the day and I had just loaded the last semi and sent him on his way. So I loaded all 16 bins on the 1-ton and proceeded to drive it 35 miles to the warehouse. Each bin weighs a single ton. The truck was a complete dog with this weight, it would not go faster than 30mph and it felt like it would never stop. This haul included hills and city driving as well.

In retrospect, it was very unwise to haul that weight. It defintely could have turned to be not only very dangerous, but a loss of a lot of money if the fruit had dumped. I agree with Z71 AST it is scary seeing guys pulling 10k with 1/2 tons. I wish somebody had corrected me and told me to take it in two or three loads.

I know its not a 6.0, but we have a 1980 1-ton flat bed dump with a 350 and turbo 400 in it. Back when I was young and even more un-wise, it was crunch time during cherry harvest; there were 16 bins left to haul to the packing warehouse at the end of the day and I had just loaded the last semi and sent him on his way. So I loaded all 16 bins on the 1-ton and proceeded to drive it 35 miles to the warehouse. Each bin weighs a single ton. The truck was a complete dog with this weight, it would not go faster than 30mph and it felt like it would never stop. This haul included hills and city driving as well.

In retrospect, it was very unwise to haul that weight. It defintely could have turned to be not only very dangerous, but a loss of a lot of money if the fruit had dumped. I agree with Z71 AST it is scary seeing guys pulling 10k with 1/2 tons. I wish somebody had corrected me and told me to take it in two or three loads.

Not half tons, because some of them are rated for 10K now, but midsize and compacts. I watched a guy hauling a trailer full of round bales of hay (avg 2000 each ide say) with an old S10 on an icy road. I like having more truck than I need. Thats why I got rid of my S10.

when i was truck shopping I saw under "ratings" for a truck same as mine but '07 classic fifth wheel hitch tow capacity was 15,300 and bumper humper was 10,200.

• 1 month later...

Hi just thought I'd add my 2 cents. We run a mixed farm in Canada with 2 or 3 hundred cows. We use the semi's with the liners most of the time but we do have a 20 ft Wilson goose neck that we've been pulling with our 2002, 1500HD 6 litre. Do'nt now what the trailer weighs but usually haul 7 or 8 1500 hundred lb cows up and down the hills on our gravel roads. That would be 10 to 12 thousand lb's plus the trailer and it handles it fine. The truck has 170 thousand KM's and still runs like a new one with no major repairs even still has all original brakes. We've liked that truck so much I've got a 2500HD with the 6 litre coming any day now.

The GMT800 3/4 ton Suburbans with the 8.1 had the 4l85E and with a 4.10 rear were rated at 12,000 pds. My old 2001 3/4 with the 6.0L was rated at 10,000lbs.

• 1 month later...

So back to the top with this. I just got my new trailer life magazine in the mail with some new "lite" fifth wheels in it. I was reading my owners manual and it says 9800 for my exact truck according to the manufacturer. Same year but with 8.1L or D-Max says MAX is 12K. How come so many guys are towing 15K plus with a truck thats rated for 12K? Is there somewhere else that says a different towing capacity for gooseneck/fifth wheel setup? I wouldn't personally buy anything over 10K because the manual says so but just curious, and plus I definitely don't have the power to pull more than that either. The manual also says fifth wheel/gooseneck tongue weight should not be more than 15-25 percent of trailer weight with MAX being 3K. I understand everything said above and agree but just want a few more answers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived