Gas Mileage

I would think that the DIC mileage would be more accurate because it is monitoring so many things in the engine that you cant. Besides, most people dont fill their tanks up exactly the same every time. Just because I put 17.835 gallons in this time, doesnt mean that Im gonna put the exact same amount of gas in next time, or that I put that much in last time. Plus, the gas pumps can be off by at least 1/2 a gallon depending on the last time they were checked by the dept of agriculture (in TX). The did a story on some gas stations around here that were up to 4 gallons off on a fill-up (cant remember if it was on 10 gal or 20gal). To me thats where the variation would come in, not the computer that can acutally measure tha mount of fuel its putting into each cylinder. But, that may just make sense to me.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get 11.5-12 mpg mostly non highway. If I put cruise control on 65 and go for an entire tank I can get 14.9. All hand calculating. The DIC is pretty accurate usually it's only off by .5 mpg. Which makes sense since the fuel I use vs the fuel I put in is usually off by about 3/4 - 1 gallon. 2006 2500HD CC 6ft bed and a bed cap thingie. I'm going to assume I have the 4.10 rear end as the truck was bought for towing a 32ft holiday rambler.

I was just reading on other posts that the new 5.3 with 6spd.Are getting 20 mpg. on hway with 3.08 gears and towing is the balls.This is a full sz.truck with 4 whl.dr..No wonder the colorado are getting phrase out.Colorado is an awsume truck i'm on my second one can't believe the shit mileage i get with a smaller truck.The tranny and gear combo sucks hard.

anything over 65 (with 3.73) is a killer

That should be true, but I haven't noticed it on mine. Every long (non-towing) trip at limit+5 (avg ~70 mph) has given ~20 mpg. 4-spd/3.73 w/ the stock Goodyear AT tires. I'm beginning to think these tires are very efficient for an AT design, since most folks with street tires aren't showing much (if any) better.

My dad's 04 cc 5.3 4x4 3.73 with 285s gets its best mileage around 68-73. He will get anywhere from 19-21mpg going that speed. I think 3.73 is the best gear to have with the 4l60e bc its a multi-purpose gear giving all around performance.

My dad's 04 cc 5.3 4x4 3.73 with 285s gets its best mileage around 68-73. He will get anywhere from 19-21mpg going that speed. I think 3.73 is the best gear to have with the 4l60e bc its a multi-purpose gear giving all around performance.

Mine is like that with the 3.42 gears and stock size BFG ATs. My DIC show that I get better mileage from 55-60 or from about 68-72. Not sure why this is, but I can maintain about 16mpg at either range, but it seems that around 65, my mileage drops to 14.5mpg. Not sure whats up there.

Archived