Guys Towing An Enclosed Car Trailer With 2500hd Gas Trucks Step Inside

I'm going to be towing with my 2009 2500HD this summer. Maybe a few times over all but I wanted to ask is anyone running rear air bags? Are they needed? Pro's, Con's? I'm looking to buy these...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FIP-2250...ts/?prefilter=1

I had airbags on my last truck the 1500 and towed a open car trailer but the truck had 140K on it and the springs were tired. I know the bags made a world of difference on that truck as far as towing. I'm just wondering how the 2500HD handles a enclosed trailer like the one pictured below. I figure the truck is pretty much new and never hauled anything so the springs should be in great shape but I don't want the trailer to be hard on the truck. I figured I'd ask here and see what you guys are doing. Also looking for any tips or tricks you guys may be able to offer on towing with the 2500HD. I'm going to Ohio and that's pretty much a flat run other then the hill near Cabelo's but I might take a trip to Bowling Green KY in October and that's a lot of hills!

Here is a shot of the trailer I'll be pulling...

5561150530_c311be705e_b.jpg

Thanks for your input!

You should be fine without airbags. That setup will prob only set the rear down an inch or so. I've pulled plenty of RV's and other trailers with the stock setup and have been very happy. The only thing you may need to consider is a torsion bar hitch depending on the tounge weight of the trailer.

You should be fine without airbags. That setup will prob only set the rear down an inch or so. I've pulled plenty of RV's and other trailers with the stock setup and have been very happy. The only thing you may need to consider is a torsion bar hitch depending on the tounge weight of the trailer.

Awesome thanks for the reply! Just from looking at the truck it sure seems like it will be fine! The truck in the picture is a 2 wheel drive 2500HD. I think it's a 08 or 07 and it tows daily and tows some heavy stuff. You can see it's holding up well even tho I believe the trailer was empty when that pic was taken. I think that truck has over 100K on it as well. So I figure my fresh one should be cake for the truck. :uhoh:

Not sure if there is anything you could hang on a hitch of a 2500HD that would require bags. Now a gooseneck, that is another story.

Just to give you a little story, my father bought an office trailer. I drove 500 miles with him to pick it up with my truck. Towed it home with no problems and truck not even level, let alone squatting. He lives about 8 miles from me and his Yukon XL was at my house so we decided to go to my house and simply switch the trailer to his trucks for his short tow home. The thing bottomed out his Yukon, I didn't even think he should tow it the 8 miles he had to go.

Not sure if there is anything you could hang on a hitch of a 2500HD that would require bags. Not a gooseneck, that is another story.

Just to give you a little story, my father bought an office trailer. I drove 500 miles with him to pick it up with my truck. Towed it home with no problems and truck not even level, let alone squatting. He lives about 8 miles from me and his Yukon XL was at my house so we decided to go to my house and simply switch the trailer to his trucks for his short tow home. The thing bottomed out his Yukon, I didn't even think he should tow it the 8 miles he had to go.

lol nice! Thanks for your reply and story! I love to hear stories like that! :uhoh: Makes me want to go out and tow something! When I took the truck in for PA inspection the other day I was just amazed how beefy they are. Even my mechanic was blown over looking around underneath. He even said he thinks he'll be retired and possibly dead before the brakes wear out those calipers are so massive!

I had the gal out today for a little drive around. I love to drive this thing! I wish gas was a buck a gallon again I'd never be on here posting! I'd be out driving my 2500! I took a snap shot while out today.....

5562098268_fcf727a227_b.jpg

What is the weight of the trailer empty and when you have it full of ??? And more to the point, what is your hitch weight you are going to be dealing with?

I have the Firestone Ride-rite bags in my HD for towing my fifth wheel.....I also tow on occassion an enclosed 14 foot trailer single axle for my scouting group. My fifth causes my truck to squat just under 2 inches.....not a lot, but enought to cause problems when travelling at night and having my headlights shine into oncoming drivers eyes.

phillyturbosix

lol nice! Thanks for your reply and story! I love to hear stories like that! :uhoh: Makes me want to go out and tow something! When I took the truck in for PA inspection the other day I was just amazed how beefy they are. Even my mechanic was blown over looking around underneath. He even said he thinks he'll be retired and possibly dead before the brakes wear out those calipers are so massive!

I had the gal out today for a little drive around. I love to drive this thing! I wish gas was a buck a gallon again I'd never be on here posting! I'd be out driving my 2500! I took a snap shot while out today.....

Jim wait till you see the massive brakes on the 2011HD not to mention steering,front hub bearing assembly, frame and suspension improvements

lol thanks again guys for your input! These trucks are nuts!! I've been looking at those firestone bags. I might grab the trailer in the next month or so and haul it around locally and see how it works out before going on my trip in July to Ohio. I might just toss the bags on if I find an extra few hundred laying around just to do it. I've been hearing good things about the tune as well so that might an option too. I think my buddy was telling me 25 more hp and a few more mpg he can get me without going to a higher grade of fuel. I can't wait to tow with it that's for sure! My poor 1997 1500 was screaming going up some hills with an open trailer!

Archived