Advent Oem-style Navigation Installed!

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the look of that.. I was thinking of replacing my factory Nav unit with it, because frankly the factory Nav is severly lacking in some major features.. the only issue is that I have is it doesn't connect the rear seat stuff, the rear radio panel becomes useless, and my kid uses it all the time..

i just installed the latest firmware last night, and it fixes a lot of those bugs with it staying on and beeping when the car is off

I have also requested that they add a way to change presets with the steering wheel.

When you install your back up camera let me know how it goes, I added the Advent camera but I like the look of the factory better.

Have you installed the latest firmware? And does the dash lights stay on when you cut the truck off and don't take the key out?

Thanks

the mic does not have to be installed, the unit does have a built in mic next to the CD/DVD eject button.

not sure what you mean by snappy, it doesn't lag at all, just has a slow start up; about 10 seconds before music automatically starts playing.

the nav is very accurate, and so is the speedometer function. these units are very new so the map is up to date, a new map might not even come out until next year, and the great part about that is they are free updates and easy to install.

Extremely interested in purchasing one of these units. I just got a factory OEM Nav system since I didn't like my aftermarket Nav system. Now that I see your post the fit is just perfect and integrates perfectly with all factory equipment w/out adapters. Have time to return OEM one so all help is appreciated :jester: Couple of questions....

1. Does the Parrot mic have to be installed if you have factory BT? Does it integrate with the Onstar microphone?
  2. Is the unit itself very snappy? Anyone install it w/ Bose system? Any problems?
  3. How is the accuracy of the Nav system? I don't expect Garmin like quality...but I don't want to get completely lost lol

Any other suggestions or reviews to make the jump from factory OEM Nav to this one will be helpful!

i haven't tried this yet, but i bet it is easy. i'll go save my house real quick to see the difficulty. if i come back cursing it was tough, i'll let ya know lol

Very sharp looking! How easy is it to add favorites or custom POIs for navigation?

this might make those functional, but i don't know for sure. contact the guys at adcmobile.com they might have an answer for you!

I really like the look of that.. I was thinking of replacing my factory Nav unit with it, because frankly the factory Nav is severly lacking in some major features.. the only issue is that I have is it doesn't connect the rear seat stuff, the rear radio panel becomes useless, and my kid uses it all the time..

sorry multi-quote not working on my mac at home...

here is a pic of the radio at night showing the backlighting. it looks like they match but it is not 100% perfect. but it is pretty darn close! the time is off, i just updated to the latest firmware and it reset everything.

d7762d66.jpg

i haven't tried this yet, but i bet it is easy. i'll go save my house real quick to see the difficulty. if i come back cursing it was tough, i'll let ya know lol
Very sharp looking! How easy is it to add favorites or custom POIs for navigation?

Mostly interested in whether it accepts CSV, OV2 or GPI files that contain hundreds of custom POIs, like you would install in portable devices Garmin or TomTom.

no idea, advent has a technical support site that they'll be able to answer that for ya!

Mostly interested in whether it accepts CSV, OV2 or GPI files that contain hundreds of custom POIs, like you would install in portable devices Garmin or TomTom.

this might make those functional, but i don't know for sure. contact the guys at adcmobile.com they might have an answer for you!

yeah I think it was the Rosen I was thinking of, I check Advents site and they claim to have an add on kit to maintain the entire rear entertainment system. plus it plays Ipod Video, so I don't have to carry DVDs all the time..

something for me to consider.. I emailed them to see how my XM traffic feature is affected, since it comes thru the XM unit one would think it shouldn't be affected..

Hey guys.

Sorry but I have a few more questions for those who have put in the OGM1 if you guys dont mind. I was looking at the install manual that someone somewhere provided a link for (probably on this forum or on ADCMobiles site) but it looks like it is pretty generic for their entire OEM replacement line - not specific to the OGM1.

Could you guys tells us what the wires looked like? Were most of the wires completely contained in both end harnesses (one goes to the OGM1 and the other goes to the vehicles factory harness in the OEM radio) for the main harness or were there alot of loose wires? I assume the Ground, +12V constant (Yellow), +12V Ignition (Red), and all of the speaker leads are all wire in at both ends. But what about things like the Rear View camera, XM radio, remote amp turn-on lead, etc?

If I go with this I plan to still do an amp and speaker upgrade as well as go with an OEM rear view camera. So I am just trying to figure out how much hunting and splicing I will have to do.

Thanks

Ernie

the harness is completely plug and play. there is a couple of loose wires on the harness that i didn't use which include ground, 12v constant, ignition, parking brake, reverse, and a yellow video RCA output for the rear view camera. those were all connected to the main harness, i didn't wire any of them and the unit started up just fine. i think all of those wires are for the rear view camera which i don't have yet, and the remote amp turn on lead. there was a separate harness that plugs into the back of the unit for the front/rear left/right audio output, sub output, left/right rear seat entertainment outputs.

smooney might be able to answer this one better about the reverse camera.

Hey guys.

Sorry but I have a few more questions for those who have put in the OGM1 if you guys dont mind. I was looking at the install manual that someone somewhere provided a link for (probably on this forum or on ADCMobiles site) but it looks like it is pretty generic for their entire OEM replacement line - not specific to the OGM1.

Could you guys tells us what the wires looked like? Were most of the wires completely contained in both end harnesses (one goes to the OGM1 and the other goes to the vehicles factory harness in the OEM radio) for the main harness or were there alot of loose wires? I assume the Ground, +12V constant (Yellow), +12V Ignition (Red), and all of the speaker leads are all wire in at both ends. But what about things like the Rear View camera, XM radio, remote amp turn-on lead, etc?

If I go with this I plan to still do an amp and speaker upgrade as well as go with an OEM rear view camera. So I am just trying to figure out how much hunting and splicing I will have to do.

Thanks

Ernie

Hey guys.

Thanks

Ernie

I did not find a reverse wire behind the radio. I found it beside your left foot behind a black cover (blue wire). Stupid me I didn’t think about the truck having to be running to send 12 volt on the reverse wire. I thought that just having the ignition on would power it but it don’t. Knowing this I could have taken the radio back out and checked again but I just wired to the one I found.

FYI the radio does not have to boot up for the reverse camera to come on, it is instant.

Thanks Smooney. So did you have to splice into it? Or did you plug right in. Which camera did you use?

Another question, does the OGM1 have a high-pass filter for the front/rear RCA outs? I see it has one for the sub out based ont he instructions but didnt see anything about a HPF.

Thanks

Ernie

Archived