Advent Oem-style Navigation Installed!

Thanks Smooney. So did you have to splice into it? Or did you plug right in. Which camera did you use?

Another question, does the OGM1 have a high-pass filter for the front/rear RCA outs? I see it has one for the sub out based ont he instructions but didnt see anything about a HPF.

Thanks

Ernie

i do not believe so. but most of your aftermarket amps do, and most of your aftermarket 2/3/4 way speakers have built in crossovers.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys.

Sorry but I have a few more questions for those who have put in the OGM1 if you guys dont mind. I was looking at the install manual that someone somewhere provided a link for (probably on this forum or on ADCMobiles site) but it looks like it is pretty generic for their entire OEM replacement line - not specific to the OGM1.

Could you guys tells us what the wires looked like? Were most of the wires completely contained in both end harnesses (one goes to the OGM1 and the other goes to the vehicles factory harness in the OEM radio) for the main harness or were there alot of loose wires? I assume the Ground, +12V constant (Yellow), +12V Ignition (Red), and all of the speaker leads are all wire in at both ends. But what about things like the Rear View camera, XM radio, remote amp turn-on lead, etc?

If I go with this I plan to still do an amp and speaker upgrade as well as go with an OEM rear view camera. So I am just trying to figure out how much hunting and splicing I will have to do.

Thanks

Ernie

I did not find a reverse wire behind the radio. I found it beside your left foot behind a black cover (blue wire). Stupid me I didn't think about the truck having to be running to send 12 volt on the reverse wire. I thought that just having the ignition on would power it but it don't. Knowing this I could have taken the radio back out and checked again but I just wired to the one I found.

FYI the radio does not have to boot up for the reverse camera to come on, it is instant.

so what all did you wire to get the reverse camera running properly? the yellow video cable to the radio, the blue wire behind the kick panel connects to behind the radio or to the camera? and what else was for the camera?

TIA

Thanks Smooney. So did you have to splice into it? Or did you plug right in. Which camera did you use?

Another question, does the OGM1 have a high-pass filter for the front/rear RCA outs? I see it has one for the sub out based ont he instructions but didnt see anything about a HPF.

Thanks

Ernie

Yes i spliced into the reverse wire.

I used the one on Advents site.

so what all did you wire to get the reverse camera running properly? the yellow video cable to the radio, the blue wire behind the kick panel connects to behind the radio or to the camera? and what else was for the camera?

TIA

The 12v to the camera i tied into the blue reverse wire and just hooked up the video cable to the head unit.

You can splice into the reverse light in the tail light also. The cable that comes with the camera was not long enough to go all the way to the front. so i got an extension and it had video and power in the same wire. Thats why i spliced into it inside the truck.

Ok, I am finally able to see this. If I went with the OEM backup cam, chance are I would still have to splice the wires, correct? In other words, I assume that harness that the OEM cam comes with will not simply plug into whatever harnesses are behind the radio?

Ernie

Ok, I am finally able to see this. If I went with the OEM backup cam, chance are I would still have to splice the wires, correct? In other words, I assume that harness that the OEM cam comes with will not simply plug into whatever harnesses are behind the radio?

Ernie

looks that way. probably cheaper to buy the oem bezel and camera separately, then buy wiring to extend it to the cab!

part number for bezel is 25958228, camera is 25998187, and camera clip is 11588650

total for all that is about $325 vs $570 including shipping for the gm accessory! i don't think a harness that goes unused is worth $145!!!

adcmobile sells the factory gm accessory, i'm going to email and ask them if it is plug-n-play to the advent nav!

• 2 weeks later...

Mention that you are call based on discussions from this board. They tried the same thing to me but lowered the price when I mentioned this. They said they would extend the price to anyone posting here.

Ernei

I got mine for $975 shipped including the $35 iPod video cable sold separately! :sigh:

From the same place? I priced out a nave radio and all the adapters needed to make it work and I am starting to lean toward the Advent radio now.

Is the nav pretty accurate, and does the screen wash out during the day making it had to see? Is the dvd resolution crisp and clear or not? Would you give this unit a 10 and highly recommend it or not? Imput would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Well, I got the unit in. Seems to be a bit of a dud thought - the main screen has an intermittent flicker. Most be something loose inside of it. Talking now with ADC, I hope they dont make me send it in to advent being that it is brand new.

When it is working, it is great. Really nice setup.

I installed a reverse camera and ran all of the wires to the back of the radio thinking I could run it off of the "REVERSE (+)" wire as mentioned by the "super long" one-page install manual online but that thing is dead regardless of which gear your in. Not sure if that is meant to be a trigger (input) for the OGM to switch to the camera rather than an output of +12v to power the camera when needed (thought I would have the option to switch to the camera manually through the OGM but it seems there is none). So now I have to see if I can tap reverse somewhere in the dash (see my new post). I did short the camera to + just to make sure it works and it does. Looked pretty good but I didnt spend much time with it.

Installed a amp, sub, and components up front. Dynamatted the floor and front doors. Overall came out nice. I was getting a lot of popping when the system powered up after start and the chimes were too load but then installed the latest firmware which also fixed the steering wheel controls to change preset rather then scan when listing to the radio. If you get one of these check the firmware, dont assume because you just bought it that it has the latest since mine didnt:

http://voxxsupport.com/downloads/OGM1/index.html

Looks like this is going to be a work in progress for a few more weeks...

Ernie

Archived