Advent Oem-style Navigation Installed!

i will give it an 8 out of 10. i've found a couple of bugs in the latest update with the XM Radio function and the preset channels. but i'm going to redo the update install to see if this persists. one other thing i don't like is how the steering wheel controls do not operate the XM preset stations, it just seeks through the channels, however it works on the AM/FM preset stations. the only other problem i have is the lag time between when you start the engine and when the radio boots up and starts playing music. other than that, it is great, the nav is very accurate, and it plays DVD very clear. the screen does not get washed out when its sunny outside, and i can see the screen clearly with my polarized sunglasses on.

Is the nav pretty accurate, and does the screen wash out during the day making it had to see? Is the dvd resolution crisp and clear or not? Would you give this unit a 10 and highly recommend it or not? Imput would be greatly appreciated thanks.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey nice job on the nav install!!!

I have the same unit in my buick enclave

ill give it a 6 out of ten....heres why

i really dont like the navigation that advent chose

it does not have lane assist....which is very handy

it has no speed limit information..useful for those of us with a heavy foot

while the nav is pretty accurate...i find that when i program a route....i have to drive

for about 2 minutes before it recognizes im on the route....once it clicks in its ok

you have icons that are just thrown on the screen...making them difficult to read

there is a large + and - sign...and a huge anoying speaker icon thatu cant get rid of

but the digital clock is so small that u can barely read it

another issue im having with the unit is the fact that the radio will not shut off when the ignition is turned off and the door is opened....u must remove the key to kill the unit

if u forget /////hope u have cables lol...mabe im doin something wrong gotta call advent

the good??....great audio......looks really nice in the dash....ipod function works well

cds sound great......button lights are 99% with the exsisting dash lights....99% not 100%

a feew other great things...the 3 year warranty....and the fact that u can call a tech support line and they actually answer

here is something cool that the dealer will never tell u

go to ...........audiovoxuniversity put a com on the end

create an account use any business name...and u can download

updates and instructions....they even have a program that allows u to change the boot up screen...

anyho....for a grand i guess its not bad....but its no garmin and if u already have a good garmin unit.....like i do......and have been using for awhile

u WILL be disappointed with the nav end of this unit

just my thoughts

Tony

Nice tip about the audiovox university Tony. They have a spec sheet on there:

• 180 Watts Peak Power (45 Watts x 4)

• 4 Channel High Level Output

• Low Level F/R/Sub output (2 volts out)

• Rear Zone AV Output for DVD

• 7" or 8” TFT DIGITAL LCD (depends on model) - 800W X 480H, WVGA, 350 NITS

• WIN CE 6.0 Operating System

• Memory: System RAM 128mb RAM, 64mb ROM

• NXP AM/FM Tuner with RDS (US/European/Latin America Tuner Freq. Stepping)

• DVD loader w / Automotive grade optical pick-up

• Parrot CK5050NEW Bluetooth Phonebook/Hands Free/Headset/AVRCP/A2DP Music Transfer w/ Parrot outboard microphone

• Audio playback via USB

• Made for iPhone/iPod via USB 2.0 with 1 Amp Charging

• iPhone/iPod Video Playback with “JlinkUSB” or similar cable

• MPEG 1, 2 video playback

• USB 2.0 Input W/ 3.5mm A/V input

• Vehicle Specific SWC Interface and / or CAN interface

• Built-in Navigation with SIRF: Prima, GRF31+, 600 MHz

• Operational Temperature Range: -30~+70 ℃

• Storage Temperature Range: -40~+80 ℃

• Operating Voltage: 10.4 – 18 Volts DC

• Standby Current Consumption: >3 mA

I suspected that it was running Windows CE.

Once question, is anyone using the Sub RCA out? I have it hooked up to my amp and, as far as I can tell, the controls in the Audio screen have no affect on the sub signal. The sub on/off button works but the crossover and the sub level have no effect on the output. Luckily, my amp has a built in crossover anyway but its strange that it is not working.

Ernie

little update with this nav unit...

i've been talking with the tech support guys at Audiovox and they have the Engineers hard at work trying to de-bug the problems with the xm radio functions. they said ever since XM radio changed the channel line up, they have been getting calls about the same problems i'm having.

so far they said to try a master reset of the radio, if that doesn't work do a reset to the truck by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for at least 15 minutes.

i have tried both of those with no luck, just emailed the tech support guy back since it is after hours about the bad news. he has been pretty quick at answering me.

Just picked mine up today at a local shop here in Nashville,TN. It was the first and only one they had so far. I'm really looking forward to installing it next week when I get my new truck back from the dealer. Now I just need to find some factory style "6 steps at a good cost any suggestions. I also need to go purchase the Recon Big Rig Ice lights, their sweet.

Just picked mine up today at a local shop here in Nashville,TN. It was the first and only one they had so far. I'm really looking forward to installing it next week when I get my new truck back from the dealer. Now I just need to find some factory style "6 steps at a good cost any suggestions. I also need to go purchase the Recon Big Rig Ice lights, their sweet.

Installed mine over the weekend and so far so good! Really happy with the unit. I've tried them all (Kenwood DNX9960 and Factory Nav) and will have to say this unit meets all my needs. Definitely an improvement over Factory NAV with the added bonus of Bluetooth (both hands-free n music streaming). As others have said, slow boot-up but way faster than Kenwoods. Sounds really great. I hope it will just get better with future updates and fix the preset issue when using your steering wheels controls on XM. Another thing I noticed you couldn't skip tracks using steering wheel controls when on Bluetooth streaming.

Quick update on some of the bugs I've experienced.

I have been emailing back and forth with their tech support. They get an A+ for customer support! Quick responses and they don't beat around the bush. The bug I had with XM was the channel names of the stations would change when changing the channel. It's sounds weird but for example, if I was listening to XM11 which is named "Kiss" and changed to the next station, XM12 "Mix", and they were both preset channels, the name on the preset button labelled "Kiss" would change and read "Mix" but if I changed back to XM11 the name on the button that read "Mix" would change and read "Kiss" but the button for XM11 would still read the wrong name until after I pressed the preset button a couple o times. They read the correct channel number but had the wrong name.

They got back to me today and said the engineers have found the source of the problem. There was a code change in the download stream from SiriusXM and they are working diligently to resolve the problem in the next update.

If they get that and the steering wheel controls changed to changing preset channels instead of seek then I would re-rate the unit to a 9 out of 10. I'm not too picky with the navigation. I don't need live traffic monitoring or lane assist; it does tell you to "keep right", "keep left", or "continue on" when coming to a freeway exit. The clock is pretty small on the nav screen but it's just fine in when on the radio screen.

Nice, thanks for the update. Good to know they are so responsive.

My new unit is FINALLY on its way tonight. Sucks driving around without a radio.

One question I had for everyone, I dont have a subscription to XM but shouldnt I at least be able to hear the Preview channel? Before my HU died completely, I tried tuning XM to make sure it at least worked and I heard nothing from the preview channel. Wasnt sure if that was a problem or if that is nothing.

Ernie

I have been emailing back and forth with their tech support. They get an A+ for customer support! Quick responses and they don't beat around the bush. The bug I had with XM was the channel names of the stations would change when changing the channel. It's sounds weird but for example, if I was listening to XM11 which is named "Kiss" and changed to the next station, XM12 "Mix", and they were both preset channels, the name on the preset button labelled "Kiss" would change and read "Mix" but if I changed back to XM11 the name on the button that read "Mix" would change and read "Kiss" but the button for XM11 would still read the wrong name until after I pressed the preset button a couple o times. They read the correct channel number but had the wrong name.

They got back to me today and said the engineers have found the source of the problem. There was a code change in the download stream from SiriusXM and they are working diligently to resolve the problem in the next update.

If they get that and the steering wheel controls changed to changing preset channels instead of seek then I would re-rate the unit to a 9 out of 10. I'm not too picky with the navigation. I don't need live traffic monitoring or lane assist; it does tell you to "keep right", "keep left", or "continue on" when coming to a freeway exit. The clock is pretty small on the nav screen but it's just fine in when on the radio screen.

That's good they found the source of the problem. I was experiencing the same exact thing and thought it was a little weird. Hopefully the next update is released soon. Can you provide the email address where to send issues/problems? I'm going to make them aware of not being able to skip tracks using the steering wheels controls when on Bluetooth streaming. Hopefully they can fix this as well.

That's good they found the source of the problem. I was experiencing the same exact thing and thought it was a little weird. Hopefully the next update is released soon. Can you provide the email address where to send issues/problems? I'm going to make them aware of not being able to skip tracks using the steering wheels controls when on Bluetooth streaming. Hopefully they can fix this as well.

you can send questions here:

http://www.adventproducts.com/support/

you gotta sign up to send them a question. after you send a question they'll send an email with a number to call if you want an answer faster.

Spoke to Walt today from ADC Mobile because I have been following this thread since the beginning. I emailed him initially with a bunch of questions, but he ended up just calling me immediately. What a nice guy to work with. I had all of my questions answered and informed me about the most recent updates concerning the bluetooth voice recognition (pretty cool). My only real remaining concern is the back-up camera. I already have one from when I bought the truck, but he informed me that this function is not plug and play. He explained that I would have to find the wires leading to my rear-view mirror, splice into them, and then connect them to the unit with RCA cables. I just need to find someone around here that can do that for me. Then I'm sold.

Thanks for working out all of the bugs and keeping us updated redjewel.

no prob!

the reverse camera sounds like a lot of work. depending on the labor you are quoted, it could be cheaper and easier to buy an aftermarket camera from someone like the ones ppl have mentioned here and in the audio/video & electronics board.

Just thought I would give back a little for any of those interested in a rear-view camera install. I finally get my replacement head unit for the first one I got which was a dud. ADC is great and are really a nice bunch of guys but I think they still have a lot to learn about dealing with internet sales. Should not have taken 2 weeks to get me out a replacement and I had to really get on them to keep it that quick. Not saying I wouldnt buy from them again, I definitly would, but if you have to do any type of exchange, stay on top of them!

Anyway, attached are some pics. I ended up getting a kit from this guy:

http://www.camera-source.com/2007-2012-GM-...-GM0712-CCD.htm

He also sells on ebay. Was a little nervious buying from an "ebay" seller but I figured how much different could it be from any other aftermarket shop. Also, he claimed that it is a higher res lens being that it is CCD and not CMOS. One key thing is that I can see my bumper through it which helps when judging distances. Also, it has a quick release cable at the tail so if you need to take of the tailgate. He was very quick to respond and me his cell in his email in case I had any trouble.

The camera when it fairly easily. I ran all of the wiring to the dash. Made a hole for them in one of the plastic wire blanks so I didnt have to drill into steel under the cabin. I also ran the part that is under the bed through AC conduit so it is well protected. Had to find a reverse source for the 12 V(+) in the dash since the green/white wire on the OGM1 is NOT an output, it is for input. But once I did that, the rest was easy.

post-64214-1307840166_thumb.jpg

post-64214-1307840176_thumb.jpg

post-64214-1307840356_thumb.jpg

post-64214-1307840363_thumb.jpg

post-64214-1307840367_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I know Advent is working on a new firmware release. I signed up for that audiovox university and get automated email updates when announcements are made. I got one a few weeks ago mentioned they were working on it and had a bunch of bug fixes. I think they mentioned a few enhancement but cant remember what.

As for the unit. Mine has been working ok so far. I have come to the conclusion that that GPS interface not the greatest. Usable but definitly on the lower end when compared to other software packages. So if you are looking to get this for heavy GPS unit, consider that. I hardly use it so it isnt really a deal breaker, it was more of a bonus.

The unit itself has crashed one me a few times - Windows CE rearing its ugly head. They would have been better off with a Linux setup but I guess they didnt want to do that much coding.

Maybe the next release will be more stable.

Overall thought, I like it. Looks factory which was very important to me so the other annoyances I can live with.

Ernie

Archived