2011 2500hd 6.0 Vs. 1500 5.3

This is my first post here, although I have been lurking around as a guest for a while.

Currently, I have a 2011 1500 CC 2wd with the 5.3/6sp auto and 3.42 rear end, and 265/70-17's on the stock wheels. From all that I have read online, the real world MPG this truck gets is at or very near the MPG people are seeing on the new 6.0/6sp autos in the 2500HD.

My 1500 feels as though it struggles towing my 6x12 utility trailer with a couple of atv's on it(maybe 3500lbs total max weight), especially on the interstates. I realize this is likely due to the small rear end and the fact that many of these newer 1/2 ton trucks are not made like they used to be. The tranny on my 1500 is constantly shifting when empty, often times very hard and accompanied by a loud clunking noise, which the local stealerships cannot determine a fix for......that is concerning as well.

So, for those of you with the 6.0/6sp combo-how do you like it and what kind of fuel ileage do you see with the 3.73 rear end?

I test drove a 2500HD CCLB 2wd with the 3.73 and although it was of course empty and not towing anything, it was night and day difference in terms of ride quality and transmission shifting on the hwy and city streets-meaning it was much better than the 1500 I currently own, so any opinions would be much appreciated.

If I am reading your note correctly, you are partly saying that the ride quality of 2011 2500HD is "night and day" better than the ride quality of a 2011 1500?

DEWFPO

If I am reading your note correctly, you are partly saying that the ride quality of 2011 2500HD is "night and day" better than the ride quality of a 2011 1500?

Maybe "better" is not the right word-I guess ride quality is subjective to some degree. The LWB CC 2500HD I drove was smoother at highway speeds than my 1500 CC, without a doubt, and being that it has the longest wheelbase available, that wasn't a huge surpirse to me. After all, a 1500 CC with the 5'8" bed is only a 143" wb, versus the 167" on the CC LWB.

Mine gets about 12 mpg city driving and the only road trips I've taken had the trailer in tow getting 8 mpg. I think the 1500s are getting 3-4 mpgs better. And I agree with the ride quality. It's much smoother than our Tahoe....and brakes better too.

Mine gets about 12 mpg city driving and the only road trips I've taken had the trailer in tow getting 8 mpg. I think the 1500s are getting 3-4 mpgs better. And I agree with the ride quality. It's much smoother than our Tahoe....and brakes better too.

That's a good looking truck! Is it a LWB? It may be the picture, but it's hard to tell......

My 1500 gets about 13-14 city, and at 70-80mph on the highway, 15.5-16.5 is the best I've ever gotten.

I went from an 07 half ton to this 2500. I saw your post in that other thread, and I am not sure what you are after. With a trailer, it is going to struggle a bit, and you will see more frequest gear changes. If you want that "I don't know the trailer is back there" kind of feeling, you should definitely look into a diesel.

2500s around town do not ride as smooth as 1500s, so if 90% of your driving is around town commuting, you will likely miss your 1500.

My 2500 gets 12 city/16-17 hwy and averages 14. My 1500 w/5.3 averaged 15-16 mixed.

I towed a 7500 lb Baja trailer with my 1500 with a few mods, and it did fine. Mileage was horrible, and she spent most of her time in the 3500-4000 rpm range in the mountains, but I had no unrealists expectations for a 1500 with a 5.3.

I love this 2500. With the mods, it tows everything I need to. Good luck with your decision.

I went from an 07 half ton to this 2500. I saw your post in that other thread, and I am not sure what you are after. With a trailer, it is going to struggle a bit, and you will see more frequest gear changes. If you want that "I don't know the trailer is back there" kind of feeling, you should definitely look into a diesel.

2500s around town do not ride as smooth as 1500s, so if 90% of your driving is around town commuting, you will likely miss your 1500.

My 2500 gets 12 city/16-17 hwy and averages 14. My 1500 w/5.3 averaged 15-16 mixed.

I towed a 7500 lb Baja trailer with my 1500 with a few mods, and it did fine. Mileage was horrible, and she spent most of her time in the 3500-4000 rpm range in the mountains, but I had no unrealists expectations for a 1500 with a 5.3.

I love this 2500. With the mods, it tows everything I need to. Good luck with your decision.

That's a great looking truck Alaska.

The fuel mileage in the 6.0 is something I can live with and does not concern me a great deal. I've had diesels before and while they are the ultimate in towing/torque, I do not tow enough (or heavy enough) to justify the price difference.

I think what is appealing about the 6.0 2500HD is the ability to tow what I have, knowing towing MPG won't improve, but that the truck's ability to pull it is greater than a 1500's.....for example, the truck won't be screaming towards redline everytime the road inclines slightly. I guess that speaks to the larger motor and rear end more than anything else, as well as the transmission gearing in the HD's 6sp.

Are you going to trade your 1500 C/C ?,or out right sell it.Current rebates are at 4505.00,plus what ever dealer discounting you get might offset the trade loss.You might drop down a size on some slighty used knock off's 245/75/17 this is the base tire I believe for that truck.You also might after market the air intake and slap a programmer on it as well.My 2500 is rated with a 4:10 will pull what I what with ease,the 3:73 option is the best of 2 worlds some better around town mileage and some tow performance as well.I still went with the 4:10 ratio,3:73 is nothing to write home to mom about considering long 7% grades with the a/c on and 100 plus outside,I need all the gear I can get.Good luck on your choice and also one more thing GM will be anouncing here shorthy the new optional base gas in the 2500 soon soooo you might what to wait till then at least till this announcement,this will give you some more time on what to do.Discounting jumped from 3005 to 4505 in the last couple of weeks,I suspect this is do to higher inventory levels,so rebates are on.The 1500's 6.2l is rumored to be the base option for the 2012 2500/3500,but we will see..Good luck,I know you will be happy either way,cheaper to upgrade the performance than to buy new.I wonder what it would cost to upgrade your rear axle.

That's a good looking truck! Is it a LWB? It may be the picture, but it's hard to tell......

My 1500 gets about 13-14 city, and at 70-80mph on the highway, 15.5-16.5 is the best I've ever gotten.

Thx, no it has the standard box.

Are you going to trade your 1500 C/C ?,or out right sell it.Current rebates are at 4505.00,plus what ever dealer discounting you get might offset the trade loss.You might drop down a size on some slighty used knock off's 245/75/17 this is the base tire I believe for that truck.You also might after market the air intake and slap a programmer on it as well.My 2500 is rated with a 4:10 will pull what I what with ease,the 3:73 option is the best of 2 worlds some better around town mileage and some tow performance as well.I still went with the 4:10 ratio,3:73 is nothing to write home to mom about considering long 7% grades with the a/c on and 100 plus outside,I need all the gear I can get.Good luck on your choice and also one more thing GM will be anouncing here shorthy the new optional base gas in the 2500 soon soooo you might what to wait till then at least till this announcement,this will give you some more time on what to do.Discounting jumped from 3005 to 4505 in the last couple of weeks,I suspect this is do to higher inventory levels,so rebates are on.The 1500's 6.2l is rumored to be the base option for the 2012 2500/3500,but we will see..Good luck,I know you will be happy either way,cheaper to upgrade the performance than to buy new.I wonder what it would cost to upgrade your rear axle.

I was thinking of trading the 1500 CC that I currently have. It's worth a few thousand more than I owe on it, which is good, but I'm not sure I'd have a ton of success selling it myself in this economy.

As for the tires, you are correct-it came from the factory with the 245's and I had the dealer put the 265's on it, which improved both the ride and the stance of the truck.

I think you're right on the 2500's 3.73 being a good compromise between what I've got and the 4.10, especially based on what I tow. But, I had not heard that the 6.2 was going to be the base gas engine for the 2012 HD's....that's interesting.

To who is it worth a few thousand dallors more,you must be sure.Check with your local dealership and see I know that GM is trying to keep residual's high on trade's.You are spot on,on this economy it will take time and you might lose most of your value,before any agreement to purchase your truck is settle between you and a buyer.Your strong point, is that you are getting the best fuel mileage of all crewcab's, Ram 3:42 C/C shortbed is in that range as well,so that is the biggest advertising you can stretch with as far as pricing the truck goes against other 1500 like model year loaded the same apples to apples.Steve's11 1500 6.2l well when I was pricing 2500 against that 1500 6.2l they would not move off that MSRP less rebates,the dealer's that I worked with,well they were more comfortable moving off MSRP with 2500 than the 1500 6.2L.But that being said,the 2500 verus the 1500 towing limits both hitch and 5th wheel would stand more with the 2500 above 9000lbs.I really do not feel all that warm towing over 10,600lbs with a C/C 1500 or any 1/2 ton on the market today.When the new SAE tow ratings come in to play in 2012,we will know more.Part of that testing will be the major climb toward Davis Dam she's a 7% percent grade all the way.I have driven all (3) 1500 silverado 5.3l the 1500 6.2l and the 2500 with the VVT 6.0L.In the end it was the frame and the class V hitch strap on the back of the 3/4 Ton Chevy 2500.It just stared back at me and said try 12,000lbs back here and lets go play with confidence.The 6.2L has some merit,the 2500 has a 5th wheel option were as the 6.2 1500 frame does not.So it comes down to A) looks B)stance C)frame and THE FUTURE will I be getting a small 5th wheel for bikes and a large living space in the future? The 2500 HD 6.0L 360@5400 380@4200 verus the 1500 403@5700 [email protected] call but keep in mind this might cost to swap,you really have to look at this real close,alot of dealers don't mind taking in good trades,but your truck is a truck they would like to low ball to make a huge profit with I will be honest if I see your lips smacking at a 2500 I have you at "Hello how may I help you'.....Drama on the high sea's....Get a good night's sleep and early Satuday morning walk in to your local dealership and ask for the GM sit down in his office and explain your delema,most will be quite frank with you,they are quite busy people and will say it in plain english either you will get screwed if you do this or we might have a shot at this go pick one out with the sale staff and lets run some numbers.They usaully like you to build some equity (1-2 years) before trading.But do not got outside the 3 years 36000 mile warrenty.That is a strong advertisement for a dealer,have any other questions PM if you what,and good luck and be very cautious,you could get hurt on this trade to be honest.This is not a strong economy,and there is a current 90 day supply out there at the lots right now.

That seems a little low. Are you using 87 octane E10 gas? For a truck equipped with the AFM system, you should see a bit more on the highway.

Archived