Stock Sierra Nevada

g73saint

I'll start with thank you for a great site and community. I've been reading lots for the past 2 weeks and everyone is very helpful. I have a 2010 Sierra with the dealer added Nevada edition package, and was wondering if I could fit either 275 55 20s or 305 50 20s on my truck. I realize it's been answered to death but not for my specific set up. Truck came with 265 70 17 BFG A/T's and I'm pretty sure its the z85(?) suspension as I sit much lower than any z71 that pulls up next to me. So with this suspension will I be able to run those wheels without any lift or level? If it helps I've decided on Ultra Wheels Drifter 20" (chrome) with either 275 55 20 cooper AT3, or 305 50 20 zeon LTZ.

Welcome to the site. First, I'm going to assume your truck is a 4x4. In which case, the overall ride height should not be any less than any other stock 4x4. The Z71's and Z85's have nearly identical ride heights...within fractions of an inch...when they are stock. Maybe you pulled up next to a Z71 with a leveling kit and larger tires. :dunno:

For the wheel & tire setup you asked about...I looked at those Ultra Drifters. They come in a +18 offset and a +30 offset. The stock GM 20's are +31....so the +30 Ultras will be tucked in just like a stock wheel...and reduce the chance of your tires rubbing. The +18 offset will set the outside edge of the wheels just inside the lip of the fender...and give it a little wider stance....but also limit your tire choices. Your absolute safest bet would be the +30 rims and the 275/55/20 tires, because that's the stock size that comes on a truck with 20's from the factory. That size tire would probably also work with the +18 rims as well. The 305/50/20 tires will fit just fine with a leveling kit, but without one, they would probably require some trimming. If you're wanting the most aggressive look, then throw a leveling kit on it....run the +18 rims...and the 305/50/20 tires...and trim a little bit of plastic if you need to.

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. It is a 4x4. I wouldn't mind doing the 2" level but I dont have an impact and have little space to work with. Local shop wants 500 for parts labour and alignment. So a 305 50 20 with the 30 offset, I'm wondering just how much trimming we're talking about without a level? and would it be plastic or metal? I'm willing to do a bit of cutting to keep my ride height. I'm just worried that the 275 55 20 will look too similar to what I have (except for the 20 inch bling).

$500 for a leveling kit and alignment is crazy...tell that guy to get lost. You can buy a Rough Country or Zone Offroad leveling kit for $65...and an alignment will probably be around $65 as well, depending on the shop. Find a buddy that has a little mechanical knowledge...and put the thing on over a case of beer in your driveway. It's very easy to install....and there are numerous threads on here about time saving tips for installing them.

If you're still against the leveling kit...then the 305's would probably fit by just cutting plastic...but I can't say for sure. The overall height of the 305's isn't much taller than stock...but the extra width can cause problems. I think it's gonna be close. Maybe the place you're ordering your rims/tires from could test fit one for you?

Well I spoke with them today and as long as I purchase the wheels, they don't mind trying on multiple treads. With that said, I would have to pick an offset and stick with it regardless of the tire I choose. So if 305's involve wayyy too much cutting I would be stuck with 275s with the +18 offset, which should look like oem just a centimeter more outwards?

Well, it will be more than a centimeter to the outside, because OEM 20's are 8.5" wide, and your aftermarket Drifters are 9" wide....so even if the offset was the same...the backspacing would be different. Here's a link that explains offset vs backspacing: https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

A more aggressive 275 on an aftermarket rim...that's kicked out just a little bit....will look MUCH better than a stock OEM setup with street tires. So, if you're wanting the +18 rims, then...in my opinion...the 275's would look just fine if you ended up 'stuck' with them. However...if you're hell bent on getting the 305's...and would regret it every time you looked at your truck if you didn't...then buy the 305's and do whatever trimming or leveling would be needed to make it work. I still recommend the leveling kit....but, that's just my opinion as well.

Good luck

Archived