Adding Limited Slip

I have an 04 with the 8.6 rear end. Is there a way to add limited slip to my diff? I know it will cost some $$. If so, what do we know about the Tru-Trac from American Axle? Can I add that to my diff (or have a competent mechanic do it?)

Note - GM trucks do not use limited slip differentials, they use lockers. A limited slip is only useful on the highway so if you are driving the truck like a Camaro, then it wil be fine. But if you want off-road traction the limited slip is not practical.

I am sure it can be added but what the cost will be is the big question. My suggestion would be to find a mechanic to do the job before buying anything. Some shops will turn away the work when the customer furnishes the parts because they do not want to be blamed when the customer wants them to use shoddy parts. Also be prepared to replace other parts like side bearings.

Why not search the salvage yards for one? Depending on what ratio you have/need you can likely buy a complete G80 Locking rear axle assembly used from a junk yard.

I would never, ever go through the time and expense to add a G80 to an open diff truck. For similar money, you can do waaaaaaaaay better. The G80 is a joke, I hope GM offers a real selectable locker like Ford in the new trucks.

OP, there are drop in lockers that can be installed in an open diff fairly easily but these are true lockers that will bang and click in turns so it isn't something I'd recommend for a daily driver. A selectable locker is best but they're expensive so of cost is a concern a good aftermarket limited slip is far better than what an OE limited slip is and will be a good addition. I like the TruTrac as it is gear based and doesn't have clutches to wear out.

I have had a G80 in every truck I have owned and NEVER once had any problems with it. Matter of fact one truck owned a freind purchased from me (96 Silverado) and he still has it to this day. Nearly 175,000 hard miles used in the repair business, plowing snow, towing cars and not once had the rear axle given him a problem. He is even running the same AMSOIL synthetic gear lube I installed back in 1996 when the truck was new. So all these comments about the G80 being a joke are unwarranted.

I've never had problems but the lockup is unreliable, the half ton ones aren't strong and the concept is just outdated. Ford offers a selectable locker, Nissan does and I think you can get one on the Ram for 2013. The G80 is marginal at best and you'd have to be stupid to pay the cost of axle work only to use that. Getting stuck with it as a factory item is one thing but to pay extra for unreliable operation? Insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Tru-Trac is an excellent differential. It is very smooth and just plain works. You will need someone familiar with installing gears to install this - if you are doing this on a 2wd now would be the time to consider a gear change if desired.

I've had my Truetrac since June (about 3500 miles), and I must say it is vastly superior to the ole G80 (and I've have plenty of the latter). I mainly got it to tow my boat, and it performs flawlessly on the ramp, offroad, and most importantly - on road. No "whirl/clunk - kick in" just even two sided grubbin' power. I also went from 3.08s to 3.42s at the same time, and I really get about the same gas mileage. Interstingly, my DIC is spot on now after I corrected the gears with a superchips programmer - like to the 10ths on fuel used - why can't GM be right on?

Archived