Speaker Replacement help

Ok so I am looking to replace the stock speakers in my truck. I'll admit that I really have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to electronics/car audio. I'm more of a mechanincal person. I think I'll be able to do the install myself but as far as what to put in there I have no idea. So here's my situation:

I love my stock radio. It has XM and the USB port that i play my ipod through. So i really don't want to replace that,

99% of the time the music coming out of my radio is country, so I don't need an incredible amount of bass.

The reason I even began to think about this was because there is a vibration coming out of my back speakers that sounds as if they are blown. I read on here that that vibration is probably the factory insulation, so while I'm changing out the speakers I'll put some Dynamax insulation in there (again, I don't know what I'm talking about, just read about it and saw i could buy it through Crutchfield)

So i guess my question is what speakers would work best for me? I don't want to break the bank I just want a better sound and to get rid of that stupid vibration.

I just replaced all 4 door speakers with Polk DB651s speakers. I am extremely pleased with them! Although I also got a small amp for them. I still have the factory stereo. I had Infinity Reference speakers in a previous truck and they were also great speakers. But the Polks are the best I've had so far.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread and that my question will also be useful to Plunk as well...

I am looking to replace my speakers (Bose system) and have been reading around on which speakers to use to replace mine (my front passenger is doing the same thing as Plunk's). I have read that the stock Bose HU is not powerful enough to run aftermarket speakers and that they will actually sound worse than the stock Bose speakers. Is this true? I would be getting 2 ohm speakers for the front and 4 ohm for the rear but I am going to pull the panels off to confirm before I order.

So, if I were to get aftermarket speakers to replace my factory ones, will the HU have enough power to run them and they still sound good? I'm not expecting awesome $2000 stereo sound, just something better that sounds good.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have the bose system or just the base?

Either way, I would start with just replacing the speakers and see how you like it. There is already an AMP in your system technically whether it be in the factory head unit and in a separate amp (Bose systems) so get yourself some good aftermarket speakers that do not have a huge power demand and you will probably be ok. Rule of thumb is the more they cost they beefier the components so the more power they will need. So spend under $100 on a name brand (polk, fosgate, alpine, etc) and you should be ok with the oem amps. If you decide the are underpowered then you can always add an amp afterwards.

If you are just doing the back speakers, then you have coaxial types which are the most common as opposed to the fronts which are component (tweeter and woofer are separate). If you are doing the fronts then you will have to consider weather to replace both the tweeter and the woofer with a similar component setup (more work) or a simple coax (less work, less power demand, not as "ideal" sound setup as component but can still sound good).

Ernie

Archived