Anybody notice a change in oil filter numbers

My wife has a 2005 Yukon Denali XL with 6.0. I've changed the oil since we've had it and the store's book has always called for a PF46 oil filter (I use AC Delco)... Well today I stopped to get a oil filter to change her oil and they didn't have a PF46. I thought maybe I'm losing my mind and I dont know the right number. I look at the oil filter reference they have and it says PF61E (with anti drain back) is the right filter. I was pretty sure I've never used a PF61E but I bought it because the reference said it was the right one (i triple checked the reference). I got home and found that I still had a filter for her truck and it was in fact a PF46. Was there a part change?

Anyways I installed the PF61E and it does not hang lower than the oil pan (actually oil pan is still about an inch or so lower) so I'm not concerned with clearance. Just curious if anyone else noticed a part number change. I check my Sierra with the reference and it still calls for the same PF48 the it always has.

Your Sierra also can use a PF-63 ..it's a longer version of the PF-48.

So pf63 is longer version of pf48 and pf61 is longer version of pf46? I haven't seen a pf63 and was mostly concerned with the reference now saying pf61 for my wife's truck which used to say pf46.

Sent using Tapatalk

From what I understand the E in the part number stands for ENCORE and that is a cheaper verison filter. I believe what I have read is that the internals are constructed of cardboard, like the cheaper verison Fram filter. I would change that filter to a non-encore filter if it was my truck.

Reading the detail of the redesign, it looks like a manufacturing cost saving change.

Maybe I will start using all those Mobil 1 filters I have collected.

Archived