Transmission Cooler Line Help

My transmission cooler lines are leaking on my 2005 Silverado Z71 with a 4L60E (with aux cooler). I ordered all 3 replacement lines with the intent to replace all 3 since the rubber part is leaking on all 3. I jacked the truck up, slid under and I don't see how I can get the lines off the transmission, there isn't space. Any tricks? Part of my problem may have been the jack stand exactly in my way... Any advise is appreciated.

I just don't see how I have space, those stupid quick connect clips are a pain to get on...

pull the plastic cover back off the fitting and then roll the clip off the fitting ,,,pull line out ,reinstall clip right away as the line upon reinstallation pushes the clip out on the ramp(built in to the line end) and drops down after the ramp securing the line

doing these lines on the ground is not a good idea but have fun anyways ....

put truck up as high as possible or you will loose the fight ,,,,,

enjoy working on your truck !!!! lmao

So here's what I was thinking:

1. Slit crimps with cutoff wheel on Dremel.
  2. Pry off crimps.
  3. Remove existing rubber hose.
  4. Replace rubber hose.
  5. Clamp rubber hose with stainless worm hose clamps.

That sound like a plan? It looks like there is a ridge intended to stop the hose from going on the steel line too far. I thought I could run the new hose over that and clamp on each side of it. I am tempted to vet my plan on one of the new AcDelco lines I ordered, they were only $15 each...

I think only 1 of the lines are leaking, the one from the trans to the bottom of the cooler in the radiator. I ordered all 3 because I figured the other 3 weren't far behind.

• 2 weeks later...

You can do it, it isn't fun, but you can do it. I did it on my 2004 Silverado 2wd. You have to move them just right to get them out. I have the rack and pinion steering. They run underneath the steering rack. It is HORRENDOUS to get them out and on. Having said that, when you find the sweet spot, they work. Good luck, be patient, don't get too frustrated.

• 3 months later...

Looks to be a good write-up. :thumbs:

This is what we've done on all our work trucks that develop this problem. Never had future leaks on any of them.

Welcome to the site

Looks to be a good write-up. :thumbs:

This is what we've done on all our work trucks that develop this problem. Never had future leaks on any of them.

Welcome to the site

Thanks, great info here. Wanted to give something back. Glad to hear that my leaky line days are done. On your fleet of trucks, do you do the fluid flush on the tranny or just drop the pan and refill?

Well, that is very helpful! I'm tired of having transmission burn ups! I've lost three over the years, last was my '96 Silverado - stranded me 400 miles from home.

After reading the transmission line leak threads on this forum, I did a pictorial of this repair as well as a transmission flush write-up here

http://noexcuseforthinking.blogspot.com/2013/08/transmission-line-fix-n-flush-on-chevy.html

Would appreciate any feedback.

I did it on the ground. PITA!

Nice write up on the line repair. Fortunately mine were under warranty when they started leaking. Did a repair on a Ford Contour similar to this. It was a miserable, rotten, no good s.o.b., however not as bad as the power steering line on the same car.

Archived