08 Escalade trailer brake controller

jim_bo95

• 3 weeks later...
installing a brake controller on an 08 truck

Installation of an electric brake controller and the wiring connections outlined in this bulletin are the responsibility of the dealership or customer. These repairs should never be charged to warranty. If you have any questions, please consult with your District Service Manager.
Some customers may have questions on how to connect an electric trailer brake controller or where the brake controller pigtail harness is located.
Starting with the new 2007 full-size utilities and pickups, there is no longer an electric trailer brake controller pigtail harness.
An aftermarket brake controller will need to be installed/connected to the blunt wires under the left side of the IP for vehicles built without JL1 - Integrated Brake Controller. The following steps should be used to complete the installation.
2005527.gif
Locate the trailer brake control circuits that are looped and taped to the main harness under the instrument panel.
2005561.gif
Pull the trailering wire harness down.
2005873.gif
Match the vehicle harness label circuit functions to the trailer brake controller jumper harness functions.

Important: The color or wires to be joined together may not match.

• Dark Blue Wire: switched power from controller to trailer Brakes • Red with Black Stripe: fused vehicle power to electrical brake controller • Light Blue with White Stripe: Brake switch input to power electric brake controller • White: ground •

Orange: CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) -- not required with most systems

2005877.gif

1. After completing the under dash connections to the electric brake controller, open the hood and locate the red wire that is taped to the harness between the underhood electrical center and the driver side front fender.
  2. Break the tape on the red/black wire and pull it toward the front of vehicle.
  3. Remove the lid from the electrical center.

2005960.gif

Place the terminal on the larger of the two studs at the front of the electrical center and secure with an M8 nut. This is circuit #242 to stud #2, to power the aftermarket trailer brake controller.

Important: The fuse is already present in the vehicle to power the electrical trailer brake controller system.

2005961.gif

AUXILIARY POWER: Circuit #742 for Auxiliary Power at the 7-way trailer connector is no longer connected by the GM Assembly Plant. If the customer desires auxiliary power at the trailer connector location (i.e. refrigeration, battery charger or interior light in the trailer), complete steps 8.1 thru 8.4 to connect circuit #742:

8.1. Locate the red/black wire, looped and taped to the chassis harness, below the brake master cylinder. 8.2.

Break the tape and route the wire to the front of the underhood electrical center.

2005962.gif

8.3. Place the terminal on the smaller of the two studs on the electrical center and secure with an M6 fastener. This is circuit #742 to stud #1 for auxiliary power to the 7-way trailer connector. 8.4. ONLY for vehicles without RPO TP2 - Auxiliary Battery, install a 40 amp fuse to power the circuit.

Important: For vehicles equipped with RPO TP2 -- Devices powered by this fuse will drain the vehicle battery if left connected with the vehicle not running.

Jacob Hoppe

• 6 years later...

Hi, I installed my Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller in my 2014 Escalade. I pulled the wires down from under the dash and hooked them up according to etrialer.com'structions and the instructions on the label wrapped around the wires. I also hooked up the wires to the studs under the hood. Checked the fuses for the studs and all looks good. The controller shows a "C" for connection when it is hooked to the trailer and the brake lights work on the truck and trailer. However the electric brakes will not engage when the pedal is depressed. I can get them to engage by applying them manually with the lever on the brake controller. I used a test light on the wire coming from the brake switch and there is no signal there even when the pedal is pressed. Any suggestions or help would be great.