In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
shobri

4L60E won't budge

Question

2001 Silverado V8 5.3 had a bad transmission. I purchased one from a junkyard. It was (supposedly) tested and working.

Installed today, filled fluids, etc. and now it won't budge.

I checked to see if the pump was working by disconnecting the cooler line and had good pressure and fluid flow. I assume that this means that the torque converter is installed properly since it's running the pump.

No CEL, no leaks. Fluid level is correct.

THe only thing that I'm unsure of is the routing of the fluid lines. Does the top port on the trans go to the top of the radiator? The drawing I have is confusing. Don't know if crossing the lines would have anything to do with it not moving, but I figured I'd ask.

Any ideas?

16 answers to this question

Crossing the lines will have no effect on the transmission operation. Is the shift linkage installed/adjusted properly?

Linkage seems correct. Will only start in P or N. Even if it wasn't adjusted properly, wouldn't it eventually run in one of the PRND gears?

Yeah it will eventually find a gear. Will the truck roll with the shifter in any position besides neutral? (not drive, roll)

with engine running, or with engine off? I'll check right now.

Check both.

with the engine running, the truck does not budge in any gear (including neutral).

What was the original symptom that caused you to replace the transmission? Is it 2wd or 4wd? It sounds like the transmission you bought is junk.

I replaced the transmission because on the way home from a trip one of the cooler lines broke and i lost all my fluid. I didn't notice in time and damaged the trans. only had 1st and 2nd gear.

The truck is 2wd. The junkyard gave me a 90 day warantee on the trans. If you think it's trash, I'm happy to get rid of it. I hate the idea of doing all that work again, but this is killing me.

Just a long shot but is the electrical connection on the passenger side of the tranny connected properly? I'm not sure what would happen if it weren't connected properly.

Will it roll in neutral with the engine off?

I would say junk tranny. Its a 2wd so aint hard at all to pull it

+1 on the electrical connection. My harness was pinched inside and kept blowing the fuse and didn't show anything on the display in the gauge cluster. Only drove in 3rd gear as well. I guess it would be considered limp mode

Edited by rdnckhntr94

even with no power ,it will have a gear ,tranny is done

The torque converter I got with the trans did not fit the flywheel. I purchased a TMBX torque converter (new) that matched the original trans I had.

Spoke to the junkyard where i got it from and he claims that the trans is good, and the torque converter I got was wrong. If the one he sold me didn't fit, and the TMBX does and the trans is pumping fluid, does he have any valid point here?

If it still ain't moving even with the proper torque converter there is something wrong with the tranny