2014+ Door Handle Removal

I've seen a lot of people lately looking to remove the handles and swap for either color-matched or chrome. The door handles remove very easily without removing the door panels and take about 30 mins to swap out. They swap similar to a lot of newer Chevrolet models such as the Equinox and Camaro with some slight differences.

Here is a video of the removal of the handle on an equinox, watch the video and I will explain the 1 extra step (step 5) that is not shown here -

1 - Open door.

2 - Remove black plastic cap inside door jam.

3 - **IMPORTANT** back out the torx bolt located behind the black cap only enough to remove the handle cap. I loosened just enough until the cap was loose and was able to be pulled away. IF you back the bolt out (on the rears for sure) there is a nut that will fall into the door and you will need to remove the panel to get it out.

4 - Once you have the handle cap (these are also held on with a little double sided sticky tape, you may have to use a plastic pry tool to remove) removed then just simply slide the handle towards the rear of the vehicle, once it snaps out you will hear a clunk (will explain in a further step). Rotate the handle out to a 90* angle, pull towards you and it should slide all the way out.

5 - This will be much easier to see once you have reached this point. You will need a sturdy piece of fishing string or wire for this step. The clunk you may have heard while sliding the handle back was the handle separating from the internal door linkage. To re install you need to slide the new handle in and catch this linkage.

a - take your string or wire and fold in half and make a loop (you'll need about 2ft). Inside the door you'll see a latch, it is mounted and rotates towards the front of the vehicle and it has 3 prongs (almost has an "E" shaped design). Take your looped string/wire and put it around the middle prong of the latch and pull it forward and hold it there for the next step.

b - place the front of the handle back in exactly at a 90* angle as you did when removing it. (This video shows him putting both front and back of the handle on at the same time, the Silverado's need to be done one part at a time, front first rear second). Rotate the handle once the front is in and put the back half of the handle in. Once the handle is all the way flush and your still pulling on the internal door linkage with your string, slide the handle towards the front of the vehicle until it clicks, seats, or pops.

c - at this point the handle is installed. Close and open the door to ensure proper operation.

6 - Once you have ensured everything is working correctly you can now pull the door handle out slightly (as if you were opening the door), let go of one side of the string and pull the other to slide the string out. Using this string replaces the need for a tool that is not available at this time.

7 - Install door handle cap

8 - Tighten torx bolt

9 - Install black dust cap/cover

AND you're done! Hopefully the next person to tackle this can get us some pictures since I didn't take any.

Edited by brentadams646
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks man. I knew how to get the door handles off, but when I went to slide the body colored handle on I was like "sh!t it's not locking in"!!! Thanks for your step by step instructions.

post-127188-0-06916600-1392338450_thumb.jpg

post-127188-0-20980600-1392338543_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cordero

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can easily replace your black outside door handles with the chrome or painted optional set. Mine are chrome. The instructions from GM say to remove the door panels but this is not necessary. You can change all 4 in about 30 mins. Someone else on here has a step by step instructions and they are great, but don't try the fishing line they suggest and there is no need to buy the special tool they talk about. You can make your own tool out of a long slim flat screw driver. Just heat it and make a 90 degree bend in it. I have a pic below. Other than a torx bit, that's all you need.

The drivers door is a little tricky due to the lock cylinder, but you can work around it.

Just use the bent screw driver to turn the "E" shaped clip toward you while you push the handle in and toward the front of the truck to snap it in place.

• 4 weeks later...

You can easily replace your black outside door handles with the chrome or painted optional set. Mine are chrome. The instructions from GM say to remove the door panels but this is not necessary. You can change all 4 in about 30 mins. Someone else on here has a step by step instructions and they are great, but don't try the fishing line they suggest and there is no need to buy the special tool they talk about. You can make your own tool out of a long slim flat screw driver. Just heat it and make a 90 degree bend in it. I have a pic below. Other than a torx bit, that's all you need.

The drivers door is a little tricky due to the lock cylinder, but you can work around it.

Just use the bent screw driver to turn the "E" shaped clip toward you while you push the handle in and toward the front of the truck to snap it in place.

Wouldn't using a piece of fishing line be easier and smarter than having to heat up, bend and ruin a good screwdriver? The fishing line trick is supposed to be cheap and disposable for those with stuff laying around the house. lol the advice on some of these forums is crazy..

Where can you buy onyx black door handles at Ebay does not have any where are yall getting your door handles and mirror covers at?

We all go ours from ebay, not sure where else to buy them.

• 3 weeks later...

I am slightly confused on removing the torx bolt. The video says remove the torx bolt and there is not anything mentioned in the directions regarding not taking it completely out. So can the handle cap come loose without backing the bolt entirely out?

I've seen a lot of people lately looking to remove the handles and swap for either color-matched or chrome. The door handles remove very easily without removing the door panels and take about 30 mins to swap out. They swap similar to a lot of newer Chevrolet models such as the Equinox and Camaro with some slight differences.

Here is a video of the removal of the handle on an equinox, watch the video and I will explain the 1 extra step (step 5) that is not shown here -

1 - Open door.

2 - Remove black plastic cap inside door jam.

3 - **IMPORTANT** back out the torx bolt located behind the black cap only enough to remove the handle cap. I loosened just enough until the cap was loose and was able to be pulled away. IF you back the bolt out (on the rears for sure) there is a nut that will fall into the door and you will need to remove the panel to get it out.

4 - Once you have the handle cap (these are also held on with a little double sided sticky tape, you may have to use a plastic pry tool to remove) removed then just simply slide the handle towards the rear of the vehicle, once it snaps out you will hear a clunk (will explain in a further step). Rotate the handle out to a 90* angle, pull towards you and it should slide all the way out.

5 - This will be much easier to see once you have reached this point. You will need a sturdy piece of fishing string or wire for this step. The clunk you may have heard while sliding the handle back was the handle separating from the internal door linkage. To re install you need to slide the new handle in and catch this linkage.

a - take your string or wire and fold in half and make a loop (you'll need about 2ft). Inside the door you'll see a latch, it is mounted and rotates towards the front of the vehicle and it has 3 prongs (almost has an "E" shaped design). Take your looped string/wire and put it around the middle prong of the latch and pull it forward and hold it there for the next step.

b - place the front of the handle back in exactly at a 90* angle as you did when removing it. (This video shows him putting both front and back of the handle on at the same time, the Silverado's need to be done one part at a time, front first rear second). Rotate the handle once the front is in and put the back half of the handle in. Once the handle is all the way flush and your still pulling on the internal door linkage with your string, slide the handle towards the front of the vehicle until it clicks, seats, or pops.

c - at this point the handle is installed. Close and open the door to ensure proper operation.

6 - Once you have ensured everything is working correctly you can now pull the door handle out slightly (as if you were opening the door), let go of one side of the string and pull the other to slide the string out. Using this string replaces the need for a tool that is not available at this time.

7 - Install door handle cap

8 - Tighten torx bolt

9 - Install black dust cap/cover

AND you're done! Hopefully the next person to tackle this can get us some pictures since I didn't take any.

Yes. The torx is just holding the one hadle part in place with pressure. Just lossen it while pulling on the small door handle part in the rear. You will feel it coming out and then when the screw is out enough it will come out. Dont remove it all the way.

Thanks, going to attempt this tonight. Any other tricks for making this easier?

Yes. The torx is just holding the one hadle part in place with pressure. Just lossen it while pulling on the small door handle part in the rear. You will feel it coming out and then when the screw is out enough it will come out. Dont remove it all the way.

Thanks, going to attempt this tonight. Any other tricks for making this easier?

No you will be fine. First one took about 5 minutes. Other three took probably 10 minutes all together. Once you do the first one you will cruise along. I was very nervous about hurting my new truck. Don't sweat it though. It is really easy.

PS I used a fishing leader I had laying around.

Thanks, The fishing leader is to loop around the E- prong to pull out of the door and slide the handle in to lock, correct?

No you will be fine. First one took about 5 minutes. Other three took probably 10 minutes all together. Once you do the first one you will cruise along. I was very nervous about hurting my new truck. Don't sweat it though. It is really easy.

PS I used a fishing leader I had laying around.

Thanks, The fishing leader is to loop around the E- prong to pull out of the door and slide the handle in to lock, correct?

Yes. You will see it once you take the handle off. The first picture in post 4 gives you an idea. The handle slides in on the right side of that opening and then back into the clamp which needs to be pulled out a bit for it to slide in.