2014+ Door Handle Removal

Just replaced mine using this youtube video mentioned above:

The only tool I needed was one I made. I took an old 1/8" flat blade screwdriver and with a torch and vise bent it into a 90* hook. I simply used it to pull the "E shaped clip" out and hold it out while pushing the rear of the door handle in. The truck looks so much better with color matched door handles and mirror caps.

post-204-0-61978700-1431950673_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-35566700-1431950674_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-94075700-1431950696_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Aaaaaaaaaarg. OK so while swapping out my door handles I backed out one of the rear screws too far and the retaining/tension nut fell into the door trim cavity. Please tell me Im not the only mo-ron to do this. I looked in Lowes last night for 20 minutes and couldn't find a replacement. Looks to be a ¼ inch square nut but may be metric (7mm?).

I guess I could take the door trim off and recover it but after removing the 4 hex screws it feels very stubborn. I could easily make matters worse. I guess i'll go to the parts department at the dealership tomorrow and try to get a nut that I cannot find on any parts diagram (!)....unless anyone has a better idea.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Richard E.

PS i have the handle installed so the door will close and lock. Its just reinstalling the the small rear part to the handle I need to do.

Curious to know if yoy solved this issue? Im also a moron and back the square nut off. I have the nut now.. But no idea what so ever how to get it back into the spot in was in.

Solved but in my own messy way!. I couldn't get the square nut back so...........

After a couple days thinking I 'made' a new 'screw retainer' from starboard (that stuff boat guys use - plastic wood). It was about half inch x quarter inch and about eighth inch thick. Worked on it while it was part of a larger piece of material. Drilled hole to be a tight fit for screw. Starboard is just soft enough for the torx screw to cut its own threads. Test fit before cutting from larger piece. Held in with needlenose until screw firmly in vehicle and in new piece. Fitted small rear handle piece. It worked. 4 months later still firm and no problems. I think somewhere I have a photo of the piece I made if you need to try this - not recommended!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks to all of you for your input. I got the GM tool from a forum member which greatly helped (once I figured out how to use it). Basically it can be inserted under the handle end once the end cap is removed. All went well with the handles with no issues.

Now for the mirrors...how the heck do you get the covers off to pu the replacements on. I have the stock chrome mirror caps and door handles which I am replacing with Dark Ruby. Handles done! Can't seem to get the chrome caps off. And I can't find any instructions for removing the cover on a 2014, 2015, 2016.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I got the GM tool from a forum member which greatly helped (once I figured out how to use it). Basically it can be inserted under the handle end once the end cap is removed. All went well with the handles with no issues.

Now for the mirrors...how the heck do you get the covers off to pu the replacements on. I have the stock chrome mirror caps and door handles which I am replacing with Dark Ruby. Handles done! Can't seem to get the chrome caps off. And I can't find any instructions for removing the cover on a 2014, 2015, 2016.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Check out this vid. Its for a 2013 but the 2014+ has the same design. I used it to remove mine

Check out this vid. Its for a 2013 but the 2014+ has the same design. I used it to remove mine

Design is no where near that! Not sure what 2014 mirrors you have, but they are not that kind of latch design. They are much harder and the the tabs are far more delicate. Totally different.

Design is no where near that! Not sure what 2014 mirrors you have, but they are not that kind of latch design. They are much harder and the the tabs are far more delicate. Totally different.

Thanks. Yes, they are very different, but I used the same process to remove them...and broke the tabs like most others who posted. I'm just glad I got the chrome mirror covers off!

• Like 1

I have the same 2014-2015 mirrors as everyone else. They are a different shape for sure, but as Chuck said the process is the same. And like i said, i used the same vid to remove mine. And i DID NOT break my tabs.

Edited by dbcooper

I have the same 2014-2015 mirrors as everyone else. They are a different shape for sure, but as Chuck said the process is the same. And like i said, i used the same vid to remove mine. And i DID NOT break my tabs. I traded with another member here and he can vouch for the condition

You are a better technician on this than me, sir! I broke all of the bottom tabs on my chrome caps. But I "got 'er done". I was more worried about scarring the mirror frame on the top than breaking the tabs...and they were on real tight...just glad it's done.

On to the next mod... Lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This post was extremely helpful. After reading everyone's post and watching one YouTube video, I replaced all 4 of my handles in 15 minutes. EASY!!!! If you're considering...do it! c09cbbe87e8c0c161b259be783d4917f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Late post. But did anyone find a replacement screw? Body shop that had my truck backed out the screw too far and lost it :/. Im looking on gmpartsdirect and cant seem to find a part number or thread pitch for the bolt.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aaaaaaaaaarg. OK so while swapping out my door handles I backed out one of the rear screws too far and the retaining/tension nut fell into the door trim cavity. Please tell me Im not the only mo-ron to do this. I looked in Lowes last night for 20 minutes and couldn't find a replacement. Looks to be a ¼ inch square nut but may be metric (7mm?).

I guess I could take the door trim off and recover it but after removing the 4 hex screws it feels very stubborn. I could easily make matters worse. I guess i'll go to the parts department at the dealership tomorrow and try to get a nut that I cannot find on any parts diagram (!)....unless anyone has a better idea.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Richard E.

PS i have the handle installed so the door will close and lock. Its just reinstalling the the small rear part to the handle I need to do.

Did the dealership have what you are looking for? I am in the same boat and needed a little advice.