Best wheel rim finish for the snow and salt

Truck13

I am about to purchase some winter wheels and snow tires for the denali and have a couple of questions.

I've been told to get 17" rims with 255/70/R17 Blizzaks by Tirerack. They recommended a simple black painted steel wheel.

What says the forum?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Trying not to break the bank, but need good snow traction.

Thanks,

I'd agree with steelies except for the fact that there kinda ugly and it would look really odd to put hub caps on a truck. I'd try to find some cheap OEM chrome steelies from the 07-13 trucks.

I live in a highly corrosive coastal Florida area where we have salt spray and high humidity practically all year round. I have always had pitting and corrosion on clear coated machined alloy wheels, but never any problems with painted cast aluminum wheels. Those resist corrosion the best. The ones on my brother's 1998 Nissan Maxima are still in good condition and corrosion free. On the other hand, clear coated wheels on my truck, which is much newer, are not. I already had clear coated wheel on my '09 Impala replaced under warranty due to corrosion. Even steel wheels will eventually rust from salt and will need to be repainted.

OEM steel wheels and GM accessories tire pressure sensors would be my vote. Get the 17"s either the 07-13 or the 14 wheels, some hubcaps, threaded lug nuts, a nice winter tire and the GM accessories tire pressure sensors. Why those sensors? First, your TPMS light will stare at you every day if you don't put sensors in and second, they list for $40 a sensor. The OE part number lists for $75. Thirdly, they are the same sensor!

Also...what wheels are on your Denali? 20 or 22"? If its the P275/55R20, use a 265/70/17 tire on a steel wheel as the tire diameter is 99% the same where as a 255/70/17 will throw it off as the tire diameter is smaller. Same if you have the 285/45/22 tires.

Archived